Terenas - Preferred Raid roles for Kara and beyond
In order to make the lives of our raid leaders easier (and please PM either GG or myself if you are interested in trying your hand at leading a raid or even just helping to lead a raid), we need to know what you perceive your character's raid role to be and what you enjoy doing the most. Sorry hunters, mages, warlocks and rogues since you don't have a whole lot of choices in roles. Mages, you will probably occasionally have to throw decurses out. I'm sure you'll get over not being solely DPS all the time.;) Druids, priests, warriors, shaman and paladins, we want to hear from you. You can reply with more than one role of course and can put them in order of preference if you so desire. We've got main tanks, off-tanks, main assist, DPS, main tank healers, main free-for-all healers, and backup healers. You won't always get your preferred roles on all raids, but we'll certainly try our best. If you are really uncomfortable with a role that Blizzard thinks your class should be able to do, let us know that as well. For example, if we've got feral druids who really hate healing, don't even have the gear for it, let us know. If we've got rogues (for example) who really hate being Main Assist, let us know.
  • Main tanks - Do the majority of the tanking of the trash and bosses.<>
  • Off tanks - If we need more than one tank for additional mobs, that's you. You also are emergency tank backup if something bad happens to the MT.<>
  • Main assist - (partially a raid leading dealy, but also a DPS role) Keep the DPS focused on what to kill.<>
  • DPS - KILL! MAIM! DESTROY! Duh.;)<>
  • Main tank healers - You keep the tank alive.<>
  • Main free-for-all healers - You help keep the rest of the raid alive.<>
  • Backup healers - If the main tank healer needs help keeping the tank alive, that's you. You don't need to act as main healer, but do keep an eye out on the tank's health. If it drops dangerously low, smack a heal, but don't go so overboard that you take over the main healer position. If the MT healer calls out for help, that's you. If the main FFA healer calls for help, that's you.<>
    [st]About raid leading, we are definitely not just limiting it to officers and it's not one person doing it all all the time. There are different parts to raid leading as well. Roughly speaking (and I credit Xame for this list since it matches pretty well with my own thoughts, but he wrote it sooner;)), we need folks willing to do the following (and yes, you can help with more than one role if you so choose):
    • Setting up the groups<>
    • Placing raid icons for trash (calling out peoples roles)<>
    • Calling (deciding) the boss kill strategy<>
    • Passing out loot<>
    • Solving disputes<>
    • Healing organization and/or strats<>
      [st]Deciding the roster is also a job of the raid leaders, but we're still discussing how to best decide who gets to go when and allowing everyone in the raids and keeping the invite rules consistent so regardless of who's running the raid, the decision process behind the roster will always be the same.

For Mogo, I prefer main free-for-all healer and backup healer with a teeny tiny bit of DPS thrown in, but don't expect miraculous DPS from her.;) For myself and the raid leading, I'm willing to do any and all of the jobs. I prefer not to do all of the jobs on the same raid though.;) That's a bit much.

Edit: You may also just post here if interested in helping with raid leading stuff. I changed my mind halfway through the post about what all I wanted to include in this post and forgot to go back and edit that first bit about PMing us. It is, of course, your choice if you want to let us know via PM, post or even in game means if you are interested.:)

Edit2: If you haven't raided a lot or haven't raided a lot with your current Big Kid Toon, make a note of what you have enjoyed doing during the five mans and we'll figure something out for you. :)
Intolerant monkey.
My name is Marn. I like to shoot things and tell animals to rip faces off of things.:)I'm also partial to turning stuff into popsicles and then when they thaw out, making them a popsicle again or telling my animal buddy to rip their face off while I shoot them. I'm not all that great at telling other people what to shoot because I like to stand so far away from what I'm shooting that I can't always tell what is the most hurt or even exactly where things that I like to shoot are standing so that I can target them. :)

As far as raid leading I know the post says to PM myself or Treesh but I'm just gonna publically state that I'm cool with doing any or all of the jobs. Doing them all at once is a lot trickier than doing just one or two but I have in the past done all the jobs that seem to be needed to make a raid run smoothly and will again if I have to. I don't think I'll have to because we have a lot of very capable people in the guild that can help out and want to help out.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
I think my prefered rolls are.

Main Tank Healer
Main FFA Healer
DPS/Backup healer

MT or OT. I can't fill any other roles.
------------Terenas------------
Dagorthan – Level 85 Blood Knight
Turothan – Level 83 Blood Knight
Sarothan – Level 62 Blood Knight
Durambar – Level 82 Warrior
Strifemourne – Level 80 Death Knight
With respect to raid leading, I am comfortable organizing healing or doing loot, and I also can be of use solving disputes.

For roles, I like any healing role, and prefer to do them all at some point. I'm most experienced at MT healing, but priests are good at AoE healing and FFA as well. I don't shy away from the hardest healing assignments -- healing is what I do.

edit: Oh, and on dispelling... it's not my favorite job but I think I'm pretty darn good at it. And being a priest horde side I'll be doing it;)
Whenever I get my paladin up to the end-game (he's currently level 40… now with a mount!), I was hoping to get the chance to do some tanking with him. I am also very experienced playing as a main assist, but I'm not sure how much damage a prot pally will really be able to put out so there might be better choices out there, for that. :) Otherwise, I play a healer/dispeller fairly well and can help out there, when needed.
-TheDragoon
Just to add to What Treesh said...

A RL sees a druid on the signup list and that can be anything, healer, DPS, Tanking, etc... This thread allows participants to declare not only their preference, but what roles they feel confident they have gear for and can perform. It's something that might change as you gain experience and / or gear.

The intention here is to give raid leaders a quick and easy planning tool, by giving people who may have a character with some overlap the liberty to say which roles they'd prefer and are geared for. This will make the invite decision process easier, and hopefully avoid potential issues where, say someone who has a character who CAN heal, but hasn't been collecting healing gear and doesn't really enjoy healing gets invited specifically to heal.

Please list what you want to be considered for and not everything your character is capable of doing (unless you want to be considered for all of those roles)

I think later we will be posting a list of Karazhan keyed folk with these preferences tacked on so people can see and RL's can use that list to aid in the invite process.

For Conc -- OT, MA, and DPS, MT only as a last resort, I think we have better geared and spec-ed people to MT, I'm not afraid of the role, but others are much better suited.

For me -- I am willing to undertake any leadership type roles that are necessary. I am typically on late-ish so actual leader may not be the best option, however I'd like to try a run at some point if I know I can be there ~15-30 minutes before start time to start organizing things.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
Quote:I am also very experienced playing as a main assist, but I'm not sure how much damage a prot pally will really be able to put out so there might be better choices out there, for that. :)

Damage you can put out on a target has absolutely nothing to do with being a good MA. All we need is someone who can make quick, correct decisions and quick, correct targetting for what we need to kill next if it wasn't planned out ahead of time.
Intolerant monkey.

I'm willing to do any of the RL roles, but like everyone else has said, not at the same time.

MA/DPS, OT and MT as last resort with my current spec/gearing. If I hit >10% Hit w/o Precision in my DPS gear I might swap to 0/31/30 and then I'd feel more confortable being MT.

-WimpySmurf
Gracile 85 DK wowarmory
Faible 83 Pally wowarmory
Wimpy 82 War wowarmory
Zwakke 80 Sha wowarmory
Xarhud is happy as DPS, FFA heal, backup heal, or dispelling. As a main healer, I just don't have the heal power or longevity.

Of course, when I run as DPS, you also get raidwide boosted spell damage, plus mana regen and AoE heal for one group, so classify that however you'd like. :)

<span style="color:red">Terenas (PvE)
Xarhud: Lvl 80 Undead Priest
Meltok: Lvl 70 Undead Mage
Ishila: Lvl 31 Tauren Druid
Tynaria: Lvl 66 Blood Elf Rogue
Update: Jesana is specced mostly balance, but with 21 resto. Her healer gear is okay but not fantastic (800 +heal or so). She can DPS and backup heal, but I would not use her for main healing except in an emergency.

Geldauran is specced and geared to MT.

OT and DPS are also options, although if this was to be my regular role, I would probably respec into something a little more suited to the job.

-Jester
My shaman is very well set up for the swing DPS+backup heal mode. I can do other healing roles or pure DPS if needed, but I figure that will be my usual role (along with totems, of course).

My druid, whenever she gets up high enough, will be feral, and will be best set up to OT or DPS, MT in a pinch, and slap on a heal set and heal in a pinch. I'm a better tank than I am a healer.

I have two hybrids and can play whatever role is needed, that I have gear for.

I figure to be on Terenas Thurs-Saturday most of the time, and Wednesday is possible. Regardless, if I sign up, I'll come.

As far as raid leadership roles, I'm too blunt to be raidleader, but I can help with other roles in that list. GG knows what I'm good at, and what I'm not. Target/kill orders were always my specialty in meat:P

--Mav
Fazuul is a hybrid spec, 41 feral, 20 resto. As such, and taking into consideration my gear, I feel I'd be best suited for:

1: DPS - My attack power in cat form is approaching 2000, and I sustained 480 DPS in Black Morass the other day.
2: OT - I say off tank over MT because while I have done LOTS of MTing in the 5 mans....raid bosses hit alot harder than 5 man bosses. I have good gear, and the skill (hopefully) to MT, I'm not sure my gear is up to where I have the mitigation to keep my healers from pulling their hair out.
3: MT
3 1/2: MT Healer....I have alot of experience healing in raids, but with more of a resto spec. My healer gear is decent, so I would say it's a tossup between MT and MT healer as far as my gear goes.
4: FFA healer. Not my favorite, as I feel druids are at their best keeping a single target up versus multiples, but I am also capable.
5: MA - I can be a MA, but until I learn more what trash mobs do, I may need some help knowing which class of mobs need to die before others.

This is a list of how I view my preferences and gear, but I rolled the druid to fill whatever roll was needed most, so I don't mind either way.
VoiceMan

Terenas:
Bloodmourne - 85 Blood Elf Death Knight <Lurkers>
Vreeslik - 85 Undead Warlock <Lurkers>
Fazuul - 70 Tauren Druid <Lurkers>
Ooh - 70 Troll Rogue <Lurkers>
Gorkuk- 63 Orc Hunter <Lurkers>
Rojaal - 70 Blood Elf Paladin <Lurkers>
Just thought I'd mention that if you're interested in learning the ins and outs of raid leadership, Karazhan is an *excellent* place to start. You still have to do most of the same things you do in larger raids, but the organisational overhead of a 10 person group is much smaller than for a 40 person raid.

Chris
Quote:Just thought I'd mention that if you're interested in learning the ins and outs of raid leadership, Karazhan is an *excellent* place to start. You still have to do most of the same things you do in larger raids, but the organisational overhead of a 10 person group is much smaller than for a 40 person raid.

Chris

Agreed. My first raids I led were MC, Ony, and then the early learning runs into BWL. The first ZG raid I led felt a bit like EZ-Mode raid leading. :) A lot simpler than being the MT, handling the loot and being raid leader in MC was. :)

---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.

Any RL roles except for healing. I have no idea how to make the green bar fill back up again except sitting and eating out of combat; bandages and health potions slow down my dps too much :P.

Yuri is all set to hit his one button "G" (yes, the new macro system has returned me back to a one button spammer in raids, /castsequence anyone?). Sheeps and Pigs and a bit of dps here and there.
Terenas
Yuri - Mage/Arcane 85 Undead
Thirdrail - Shaman/Resto 85 Tauren
Vicstull - Rogue/Subtlety 85 Troll
Penten - Priest/Discipline 85 Blood Elf
Storage guild Bassomatic
Quote:Agreed. My first raids I led were MC, Ony, and then the early learning runs into BWL. The first ZG raid I led felt a bit like EZ-Mode raid leading. :) A lot simpler than being the MT, handling the loot and being raid leader in MC was. :)

I know some raid leaders like to do everything themselves, but I found delegation was the key to sanity for me in MC. I usually got someone else to handle the loot (not just handing out boss drops, but picking up fiery essences and the like) so I could concentrate on giving out instructions.

Chris
Mist is DPS, DAH!! lol

But i'm up to raid assist and help out as needed, i could RL if it was a instance i'm firmilar with....which leaves out alot of BC atm.

Doomstar is 64 and offtank
badhairday is 64 and Shadow spec, so assisted healing from VE
nightsdesire is 62 currently and as a Rogue is never likely to be needed for squat....except to open the occasional box.

Kar keying in need the BM run to complete.

Mist
My name is Sino, I stab. Err...I am Moors, the evil crusader!

I am still learning alot about the Paladin class and its capabilities. I have re-speced many times to help learn the different setups and I am now 30-31-0, which is Holy/Protection. Im still not sure I know where I will fit in best, yes I know Paladins make great healers, but Im not satisfied with just sitting there pushing one button.

I have been working hard on collecting tanking gear and I am now just short of 10k HPs unbuffed, 470 Defense and 40ish avoidance. With Redoubt (30% block) proced and Holy Shield (30% block) up I hit the 100% mark but I still need to overcome that 30% block based on chance. I still have a few pieces of gear to upgrade but I feel I have come a long ways from my early attempts at tanking.

I havent worked as hard on my healing gear. I think I currently sit around 9k mana pool, +600 heal and 25% crit. I am currently looking for any +spell crit I can get my hands on. With 30 pts in Holy I am not lacking too many of the best healing talents and if I can achieve 30-40% crit rate I should be able to heal pretty good.

That being said, I would like to be available to fill in as an Off Tank, Back-up Healer or FFA Healer and of course Cleansing (poison, disease and magic). As most know, Paladins do very well tanking AOE encounters as well as extra dps/threat to undead/demon mobs. I am hoping to be able to fill any role needed even if the main role in an encounter is just the buffs. I do have the two talent gained Blessings, Blessing of Kings (+10% to all stats) and Blessing of Sanctuary (-80 damage from all sources). In Holy I also have Improved Aura (40yd range) and 1 point in Improved Blessing of Wisdom (45/mp5).

My dps with this build is mediocre at best. I do 10 fold more DPS when taking damage, due to Reckoning and of course during AOE fights. The biggest draw-back is I can not change roles well mid-fight. In my tank gear I have about 4k mana and +10 spell crit. In my healer gear I have about 6k HPs, no +Def and about 15% avoidance. In my DPS gear (+spell damage) I am still capable of healing but lack any Def. So I need to be prepared for the role before hand.

So use me wherever is needed. As long as I know what I am doing I will give it my best. I do not have any interest in RL assignments and/or the most stressful roles ;)
Moors ~ Blood Knight, Terenas
Sinomin ~ Rogue, Terenas

I stab!
Quote:Damage you can put out on a target has absolutely nothing to do with being a good MA. All we need is someone who can make quick, correct decisions and quick, correct targetting for what we need to kill next if it wasn't planned out ahead of time.
Very true and that is something I feel I have always been good at. :) My point was that a Pally is a bit more geared for tanking or healing but if neither of those are needed I am certainly always up for doing the MA job.
-TheDragoon