Its the most wonderful time of the year...
So who's filling out a bracket?

I'm filling out several... and I haven't started yet, so I'm still in the process of deciding who and where my upsets will be. As a student of Michigan State, and a fan of the Big Ten, I'm hoping to see a strong showing from my Spartans... But it is March Madness. Who can predict and figure out exactly what is gonna happen?

Who're your sleepers? What is your team? And most of all... what teams make up your final four?

My initial feeling for a final four is:

Southern Illinois - they've been around and in the tourney, and each year they move up in the standings, its about time for them to get there

Texas - MSU played them earlier this season, and if Durant continues at the pace he is going right now, there aren't very many teams in the country that can beat him. Yes, not many teams can beat him.

OSU - Greg Oden keeps getting better and better, and if he wasn't on the team Mike Conley Jr. would've probably won Freshman of the Year in the Big Ten. I've seen them play in person, and many times over the past few weeks. They're good. Real good, and peaking at the right time.

Florida - They've got a strong roster. They've got experience, and they've got the easiest part of the bracket... I don't see anyone challenging them until the elite eight, and I think they can handle anyone that comes their way (Wisconsin, Notre Dame, and Oregon included).

As for my Spartans? I forsee a strong win vs. Marquette in the first round, followed by an unreal game by Neitzel vs. UNC. The problem is, that crowd in North Carolina will make this into a true road game, and as anyone who follows MSU can tell you, we're 1-8 on the road. I don't see us being able to handle that...

-Baylan
March Madness is one of the only sporting events I'll watch (along with certain things in the Olympics). I don't actually follow college basketball though...I just root for the underdogs.
I noticed a complete lack of Kansas University in your post. You should fix that, as they will be making an appearance in the Final Four, if not further! =)
WWBBD?
Have only seen one game this entire season that Georgia Tech wasn't playing in the year. (VaTech vs Marshall in December. Awesome game since I'm from Huntington and both my parents went to Marshall:D). Even with my limited knowledge, I threw together a bracket (mostly picking the higher seed - but not always!). I also picked Georgia Tech to win - can't bet against your own team:shuriken:

[Image: bracket.jpg]
"Just as individuals are born, mature, breed and die, so do societies, civilizations and governments."
Muad'Dib - Children of Dune
Quote:OSU - Greg Oden keeps getting better and better, and if he wasn't on the team Mike Conley Jr. would've probably won Freshman of the Year in the Big Ten. I've seen them play in person, and many times over the past few weeks. They're good. Real good, and peaking at the right time.

It's been a fun year watching these youngsters play ball. It is also frustrating knowing that Oden probably won't return, and how good the team would be next year if he does. Next year's freshmen are expected to be pretty special in their own right. What he has been able to do while virtually playing with only his weak hand all year is just amazing. It reminds me of some rural high school team with a big center, where they can play zone and he defends the entire other team singlehandedly (literally, in this case). Except that when Conley, Butler, and Lewis are on the court, this team is quite capable of forcing steals and running the floor too.

I don't fill out brackets, but I will be watching as many of the Big Ten teams play as possible. I'm not sure which makes me happier: Ohio State being a #1 seed, again, or Michigan going to the NIT, again. As a Spartan I'm sure you know the feeling.
Quote:So who's filling out a bracket?
First upset of the tournament: Texas A & M Corpus Christi beats Wisconsin. Friday.

You heard it here first.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
I'm in the 95th percentile on espn.com right now and spent far less time watching and reading about college basketball this year than normal. I've always done well in bracket pools putting many hours into it, but I was really lame this year and only had about 30 minutes the day before to recall a year of basketball games and surf the web for opinions - I had the four one seeds in the Final Four. Lame, I know... but I just really felt that Kansas, UNC, Ohio State and Florida were far and away the four best teams this year. No controversy in the four one seeds at all in my opinion. Texas getting a four seed was definitely a mini-snub in my mind, however (yeah, I know they lost to USC but that was just variance - Texas deserved a higher seed).

Also, congrats to Kansas on celebrating not losing in the first round by drubbing Niagara by 40. Classy guys. My buddies and I were actually discussing that Niagara over Kansas for the first time in NCAA history for a 16 to beat a 1 would have been a very sexy, ballsy pick. Kansas had recent history going against them, Niagara came in with a 12 game winning streak and we had watched a game with Niagara earlier in the season (for some reason) and they actually looked pretty good. Alas, it did not happen. That said, Kansas is getting hot at the right time - I think that they're a lock for the Final Four.
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
Quote:I'm in the 95th percentile on espn.com right now and spent far less time watching and reading about college basketball this year than normal. I've always done well in bracket pools putting many hours into it, but I was really lame this year and only had about 30 minutes the day before to recall a year of basketball games and surf the web for opinions - I had the four one seeds in the Final Four.

For once in your life this may actually hold true... No double digit seeds in the sweet sixteen, and only 1 of the top 8 seeds has been eliminated (Wisconsin... which hasn't been the same since Butch went down).

Last year we saw an 11, and no 1s make the final four. This year, we may see all 1s. Kinda funny how that works...

Anyway, my bracket is holding up... eh... okay. I still have all but 2 of my elite 8 teams, but I lost a final four in Texas... The thing working in my advantage is that a *lot* of people had Texas going to the final four, and I'm not in any big brackets, so I've still got a shot b/c of a popular pick going down...

In any case, I'm looking for another fun weekend of basketball, despite my Spartans losing in a tough effort against UNC... Neitzel just didn't have the legs to keep it up. Next year, though, we're gonna be pretty darn good. Top 10 recruiting class, everyone coming back, and a 7 footer coming off a redshirt. It is a wonderful combination.

-Baylan
I am Baylan

Hardcore is the way to play!

You'll find me on US-East, on the account name Baylan (for now, I'll add more as I get my accounts up and hardcore-capable).
Fascinating tournament so far. So many times I have tuned in to a game with some Cinderella in the lead early, and seemingly every time the favorite finds a way to win. I don't remember a year where the top seeds have done so well, but it is made more remarkable by how competitive the games have been throughout.

On cloud nine right now with the Buckeyes going to the Final Four. Oden may look the part, but Ron Lewis is officially the Big Man on Campus this week.

I think next year, they should hold the entire tournament in Madison, just to see if anyone in the world can beat Wisconsin there.