IGN casting scoop for Star Trek XI
http://movies.ign.com/articles/767/767783p1.html

Quote:February 26, 2007 - IGN Movies has learned from studio sources which actors may play the Big Three in Paramount's Star Trek XI. By the "Big Three," we mean, of course, Captain James T. Kirk, Mr. Spock and Dr. Leonard "Bones" McCoy.

This is all rumour and definitely not confirmed, but here we go.

Matt Damon as James T. Kirk
Adrien Brody as Mr. Spock
Gary Sinise as Dr. McCoy

[Image: trekxi.jpg]
my reaction - in order:

yech pew blech

those can NOT be actual candidates
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Quote:my reaction - in order:

yech pew blech
those can NOT be actual candidates

They are rumoured to be "in talks" about the parts, so I don't even know if they can even be considered candidates.

Out of the three, the only one I like is Gary Sinise as Bones. I think he could pull it off fabulously. I just can't see the other two doing justice to the characters.

Here are my picks for Kirk and Spock. Remember, you heard it here first! I am not joking around about these choices. I would pay good money to watch Star Trek XI if these were the choices for Kirk and Spock.

Vin Diesel as Kirk. Sure, he looks nothing like Shatner, but he's got that "girl-gettin'", "ass-kickin'" aura about him and he's no stranger to sci-fi films. In fact, he might be a great contrast to Shatner's Kirk. Instead of a short! bullet-like! method! of! speech!, Vin Diesel would smoothly tell the Klingons to "back awayyyyy..... verryy .... slowwlllyyy" in an almost sub-aural voice. If they didn't, he'd kick every Klingon's ass and steal their women before they knew what hit them. If that ain't classic Kirk, I don't know what is. I can just see Vin lounging in his captain's chair and getting hailed by some Romulans. He'd say "I don't know what you hailed me about, but it better be important. I don't know who you are, but most people have heard of me. I'm the kind of guy that hates interruptions. If you have something important to say, you'd better say it now." The Romulans would be too busy quivering in their space boots to even think about firing their disrupters.

John Malkovitch as Spock. Stick a pair of cosmetic ears on him and let him get into character.

Jenna Jameson looks more like Spock then #2. I can't comment on their acting abilities.

Looks like another odd Star Treck movie. But then again, what else is new?
"One day, o-n-e day..."
Quote:Vin Diesel as Kirk.

Ahaha..

Ahah..

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhh...

Ohh... that's great.

-Jester

>Matt Damon as James T. Kirk
Adrien Brody as Mr. Spock
Gary Sinise as Dr. McCoy

I kind of see some resemblance at least from those shots, but I think I'm more interested in how well the story is told and how well the characters are done.

My thinking and belief on the whole current trek thing is pretty much summed up much better by this guy,

http://www.space.com/sciencefiction/tv/moo...ger_001207.html

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=17154

Now to be clear I'm not saying which franchise is better etc, since that's about as interesting to me as debating which is better McDonalds vs Burgerking. A lot of it depends on personal taste. What I am saying is sometimes nostalgia becomes too much of a blinder. I'm a big fan of the current remake of Galactica, but I remember during the very early days some of the 'controversy' if you can even call it that by some of the fans, claiming it's a travesty to the original. (This was before the series even premiered.) But let's get some perspective. The 70's Galactica had a lot of cheese in it. Anyone claiming it doesn't probably needs to see it again, without the nostalgia propping it up.

I think there's a lot of interesting ideas left in the trek universe. There's also a lot of things that are the product of it's respective era, and sometimes they're kind of embarassing by today's standard. And I don't mean the technical special effects.

Is it really worth preserving some things strictly because they're 'trek'? Maybe it's just me, but one of my favourite trek movie Wrath of Khan, didn't really suffer at all from the absence of singing space hippies present in one of the tv episodes.

So if this new trek film does come out and it treats the story and characters without the excuse of 'ah who cares, the nerds will eat up whatever we'll throw at em' as long as we have the brand name.' I'll certainly be interested. If it's the same old song with trek technobabble to the rescue with some sci fi T&A, and some major named actors along with some sfx moneyshots I'll pass or wait until it's free on tv. And I'm saying this as a geeky fan of Vulcan priestesses.
It's the hardcore cult of fans that have kept Star Trek alive for several decades, and it's this hardcore cult of fans who are killing it now as well. The rut that the franchise believes it needs to remain in so as to keep the cult satisfied is going to bury them in the end.

You mentioned Wrath of Khan. The way some of the lore tells it, one of the reasons the movie worked was because Harve Bennett never saw an episode of the original series until he was asked by Paramount to write for the second movie. Without those blinders, he took the Star Trek universe somewhere a cultist would never have taken it.

It is interesting to note that Wrath of Khan, unlike most Star Trek stories, didn't involve aliens much at all.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Whatever they do, they need to get rid of Adrien Brody as Spock, Sarek... or even a tribble.

He always looks like he is about to start crying any time now. Someone needs to put him out of his misery.

Vulcans don't cry.

-A
That's all fine and good, but who will play Scotty??

--Copadope
Quote:Ahaha..

Ahah..

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhh...

Ohh... that's great.

-Jester

In fact, I think Vin Diesel would also be a great Spock and Bones. He could probably pull off a decent Uhura too. Now that I think about it, there is a distinct lack of Vin Diesel in today's cinema :angry:
Quote:In fact, I think Vin Diesel would also be a great Spock and Bones. He could probably pull off a decent Uhura too. Now that I think about it, there is a distinct lack of Vin Diesel in today's cinema :angry:

That's because he is in full swing right now writing, producing, and directing his new one man off-broadway adaptation of Star Trek Episode 4: The Naked Time.

who could resist an hour and a half of singing, dancing, and a hot sexy love scene between Kirk (played by Diesel) and Uhura (also played by Diesel).
Quote:That's because he is in full swing right now writing, producing, and directing his new one man off-broadway adaptation of Star Trek Episode 4: The Naked Time.

who could resist an hour and a half of singing, dancing, and a hot sexy love scene between Kirk (played by Diesel) and Uhura (also played by Diesel).
I know I couldn't!

But really, Vin Diesel? I guess I haven't seen enough of his movies but he seems like an extremely subpar actor and mainly fitted for movies with big guns and fast cars.
"Just as individuals are born, mature, breed and die, so do societies, civilizations and governments."
Muad'Dib - Children of Dune
Quote:But really, Vin Diesel? I guess I haven't seen enough of his movies but he seems like an extremely subpar actor and mainly fitted for movies with big guns and fast cars.

William Shatner is a sub-par actor and is mainly fitted for movies with big phasers and fast starships :D

Since when has Star Trek ever been about good acting?
Quote:William Shatner is a sub-par actor and is mainly fitted for movies with big phasers and fast starships :D
Or senile lawyers. Hey, they should have James Spader be Kirk!
Quote:That's all fine and good, but who will play Scotty??

Supposedly paramount wants James McAvoy
I'm a big Matt Damon fan. Bourne movies, The Departed, Dogma, Rounders, Saving Private Ryan, Good Will Hunting, etc.

I'm not sure how good of a Kirk he would be though. I guess Gary Sinise could pull of McCoy. What's the deal with Adrien Brody being considered for every single role on the planet? Waaaay overrated.
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
Quote:William Shatner is a sub-par actor and is mainly fitted for movies with big phasers and fast starships :D

Since when has Star Trek ever been about good acting?

It.... may... be .... camp.... but.... even.... camp..... needs to be .... duplicated... authentic....ly

Bah, screw all that. What really matters who will play the blue skinned alien chicks.:D
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)