Surge of Light can crit!
Anyone else seen this? I've seen nothing that suggests Surge of Light Smites can't crit -- an instant Smite seems to have the same chance to crit as any other Smite. What I'm not sure about is if there is some kind of lag going on that just makes me think this is happening. I'm pretty sure it isn't lag, and that they just crit.

Can anyone else corroborate?
Don't have the spell with my priest but I see it happen with Treesh's priest Taiza a fair bit. Shows up in my combat log that way as well though I currently don't have a screen shot of it but I'll try to get one from my end and one from her end the next time we see it happen. Seen her chain up to 3 or 4 in a row which is a pretty clear indication that it isn't lag because there would be no other way to get that many spells off in that time to get the crits to proc it. So yeah, I'm convinced it is bugged. Don't know if the skill is bugged or the description is bugged at this point. Pretty sure it's the skill because I could see a bit too much abuse if they intend it to be this way, but it certainly is a big DPS boost to holy priests. :)
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
I've submitted a ticket about this - they know about it, and don't seem to care <_<

The Smite from Surge of light is a normal smite in every conceivable way - it can crit, and it costs mana . Fun when you chain them, but definitely not as advertised.
Quote:The Smite from Surge of light is a normal smite in every conceivable way - it can crit, and it costs mana . Fun when you chain them, but definitely not as advertised.

It costs mana? Pre TBC I thought I had ensured it didn't... I will need to go out and test this.

Making 1.5 sec out of 2.0 sec doesn't seem to be worth much... the free mana is a big reason I specced that way.
Quote:It costs mana? Pre TBC I thought I had ensured it didn't... I will need to go out and test this.

Making 1.5 sec out of 2.0 sec doesn't seem to be worth much... the free mana is a big reason I specced that way.

From what I've seen it doesn't take any mana if it doesn't crit, but if it crits it does. But my testing is very limited.
---
Quote:From what I've seen it doesn't take any mana if it doesn't crit, but if it crits it does. But my testing is very limited.

Acc. to my tests, it costs mana whether or not it crits. Not happy about this.
Quote:Acc. to my tests, it costs mana whether or not it crits. Not happy about this.

Yeah that testing we did last night was more thorough than what I had done before.

Also of note the combat log no longer shows the effect as surge of light but as smite now.
---
Just wanted to mention that all of these things are outlined as known issues here:

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.h...=75344205&sid=1
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
Thread necromancy because the bug is back, thanks to the realm restarts today for midsummer events. Surge of light chains again, is back to costing mana unless it procs when you have less than the amount of mana needed to cast a real smite and then it's a freebie.
Intolerant monkey.
Quote:Thread necromancy because the bug is back, thanks to the realm restarts today for midsummer events. Surge of light chains again, is back to costing mana unless it procs when you have less than the amount of mana needed to cast a real smite and then it's a freebie.

LOL LOL

Code control appears to be a real problem at Blizzard.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Quote:LOL LOL

Code control appears to be a real problem at Blizzard.
Thats only true if you actually assume that they do have some code control in the first place. The number of times in the orginal beta that one the developers answered that they could not give complete patch notes of changes because they did not know what had even been worked on to go into the patch ended up speaking volumes about what they did for code control.
It's listed in the 2.1.2 known issues post:

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.h...110537510&sid=1

Along with several other priest specific issues.

I'd add another to the list... The shadowfiend is STILL SUMMONED IN DEFENSIVE. It will attack the target I have targeted, however as soon as someone else attacks me it will switch targets. In PvP this often results in the shadowfiend spending more time ping-ponging between targets than it does actually attacking someone.
Aaaaaaaaannnnnnd, surge of light is back to being free. Place your bets now on it going back to being bugged with the next patch! Hooray! *facedesk*
Intolerant monkey.