Unfortunately there were no nipples at the Superbowl
I might be the only person in the world to think this, but I really like Prince and I think he's a very talented and entertaining showman. Yes, I am completely serious.

Here he is performing Purple Rain during halftime. I think he called down the rain just to make his performance that much more memorable.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUi-StosGOY

This is my most favourite Prince performance ever, by far. It's a George Harrison tribute performed by Tom Petty, Jeff Lynne (from ELO), and others. Prince steals the show during While My Guitar Gently Weeps when he gets to solo. Fast forward to 3:30 and watch Prince make magic with his telecaster.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILDGkKqFLoI
Great football game, but I have to disagree about Prince. Or The Artist. Or whoever the hell he is now. I cannot stand the vast majority of his music.

Congrats to Tony Dungy and his coaching staff - well done, well deserved, etc. etc.
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
I'm not a big fan of Prince, but he is very talented. I thought the halftime show was pretty good, overall. The thing I thought was funny was when Prince tries to get the audience to sing along on Purple Rain, and they show the crowd, and the women are going crazy and the men are just kind of standing there like "WTF is this?" Wonder if Prince has ever played to such a male-dominated crowd before?

It seems like the weather and the Bears' red zone defense are about the only things that stood between this game and a blowout. It was close throughout, and yet about the most one-sided football you can imagine at the same time.
Quote:I'm not a big fan of Prince, but he is very talented. I thought the halftime show was pretty good, overall. The thing I thought was funny was when Prince tries to get the audience to sing along on Purple Rain, and they show the crowd, and the women are going crazy and the men are just kind of standing there like "WTF is this?" Wonder if Prince has ever played to such a male-dominated crowd before?

It seems like the weather and the Bears' red zone defense are about the only things that stood between this game and a blowout. It was close throughout, and yet about the most one-sided football you can imagine at the same time.
The best thing about the game was that the first half was so close, had so many dramatic changes of possession, and that magnificent runback on the opening kickoff.

The worst thing about the game was Rex Grossman's being unable to handle the rain. He dropped two snaps, tripped and got sacked twice, and missed the kind of long ball he'd been hitting most of the year with a resultant interception.

I thought the MVP should have gone to the Colts' offensive line. They gave Manning good protection against a tough defense, and made the running game work pretty well.

I'd like to have seen the Bears score again in the second half, to keep it close, but Grossman was pressing, and unable to come through.

The halftime show was a recycling of a 20 year old act, and the Star Spangled banner was sung by Billy Joel. He missed a few notes.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Quote:The best thing about the game was that the first half was so close, had so many dramatic changes of possession, and that magnificent runback on the opening kickoff.

The worst thing about the game was Rex Grossman's being unable to handle the rain. He dropped two snaps, tripped and got sacked twice, and missed the kind of long ball he'd been hitting most of the year with a resultant interception.

I thought the MVP should have gone to the Colts' offensive line. They gave Manning good protection against a tough defense, and made the running game work pretty well.

I'd like to have seen the Bears score again in the second half, to keep it close, but Grossman was pressing, and unable to come through.

The halftime show was a recycling of a 20 year old act, and the Star Spangled banner was sung by Billy Joel. He missed a few notes.

Occhi
Agreed. The first half was very entertaining though very sloppy. I stopped watching after Grossman's second interception in the 4th quarter. The Colt's O line played extremely well. I, too, think they deserved the MVP award. Manning is both humble and smart enough to know that it's not all about him, though.

Since few people I was with cared about either team, we immediately latched on to da bears. Your team losing when they were your team only because of an SNL skit makes losing not so bad:)

Regardless of how the game went, it was fun. Good BBQ, good beer and good friends.
"Just as individuals are born, mature, breed and die, so do societies, civilizations and governments."
Muad'Dib - Children of Dune
I've been a fan of Prince for a long time. He is a very talented..... guy? Seriously though, he is.

Either the rain affected the Bears in a HUGE way, or they are a bad team. The score does not indicate how lopsided the game was. 5 years from now, people will look at the score and think that it was reasonably close. In reality, this was one of these games reminiscent of those 80's-early 90s NFC trouncings of the AFC flavor of the year, when scores like 42-10 were not uncommon. It should have been like 42-10 or something along those lines. Terrible game, terrrible performance by the Bears. Then again, the Bears always sucked, except in '85 when their D was so good, that their O did not even matter. I hate teams that win by capitalizing on other team's mistakes and nothing else. I'm glad the Bears got trounced. They suck.

I see I have not mentioned that the Bears suck yet.

Well, they do.

-A

ps. That's right.
Quote:Agreed. The first half was very entertaining though very sloppy. I stopped watching after Grossman's second interception in the 4th quarter.

Me too! Just flipped stations and never looked back. I didn't even know who won the game (well, at least not the score) until today. A shame too, because I liked the Bears at one time.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
I've been hearing a lot of radio talk lately saying the majority of people are sick of the old "song-and-dance" cliché of super bowl half-time shows and would prefer something called a "million-dollar-kick-off." Something that fits in line more with the sport of football and keeps in the rhythm of the moment then what people who pay premium dollars for a super bowl seat must see. While I have no idea what a million dollar kick off is, I'm sure I'd prefer this over another song and dance routine next year.

Any thoughts?

P.S. This was just an after thought, but didn't Budweiser and another bear do the Bud bowl during halftime shows years ago? In Living Color has some very funny skits in its time during halftime if you were willing to flip the channel.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Quote:I've been hearing a lot of radio talk lately saying the majority of people are sick of the old "song-and-dance" cliché of super bowl half-time shows and would prefer something called a "million-dollar-kick-off."

TSN (Canada's version of ESPN) runs a Canadian Football League promotion in conjunction with Wendy's that has a winning entrant attempt a field goal at halftime. These are just regular Joes off the street - not professional athletes. It's incredibly successful and generates huge ratings for them.

One guy actually kicked a 50 yard field goal one year and won $1,000,000. It was pretty nifty to watch:)

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/news_story/?ID=141142&hubname=

I doubt this would work with the megasupermediablitz that is the Superbowl though.
Quote:I doubt this would work with the megasupermediablitz that is the Superbowl though.

Only if the potential contestants had been locked in the stadium for weeks ahead of time and forced to do ridiculous contests and "vote each other off" the stadium.
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
Quote:Only if the potential contestants had been locked in the stadium for weeks ahead of time and forced to do ridiculous contests and "vote each other off" the stadium.

Then they would call it, "Survivorbowl" :D.

:lol:
Quote:TSN (Canada's version of ESPN) runs a Canadian Football League promotion in conjunction with Wendy's that has a winning entrant attempt a field goal at halftime. These are just regular Joes off the street - not professional athletes. It's incredibly successful and generates huge ratings for them.

One guy actually kicked a 50 yard field goal one year and won $1,000,000. It was pretty nifty to watch smile.gif

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/news_story/?ID=141142&hubname=

I doubt this would work with the megasupermediablitz that is the Superbowl though.
Why not? I'm sure there are plenty of companies that would love to have a 4-5 minute spotlight of their name during halftime. A guy at one of our games ('our' being Georgia Tech) actually was able to punt a ball 30 yds or so into the back of a truck to win it. There was a kick of some sort at halftime every game for prizes ranging from Moe's gift certificates to the aforementioned truck.

The popmusic-sameolcrap-vomit halftimes are getting old. Although, being the drumline-bandnerd I am, a DCI show would be really cool. The season is long over by this point but I'm sure most members would be willing to come back for some practices in January to play in the Super Bowl:)
"Just as individuals are born, mature, breed and die, so do societies, civilizations and governments."
A DCI halftime show would be tres cool. Having a random fan attempt a kick/throw/shot for a big prize is pretty lame and getting lamer each year.
I'm thinking gladitorial death-matches fought between the mayors of the participating teams' cities.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Quote:I'm thinking gladitorial death-matches fought between the mayors of the participating teams' cities.

How long is half-time? 15-minutes? How about a 3-round Mixed Martial Arts match for the entire half-time? Now that would fit the mood rather nicely. Maybe take away too much from football? Or turn-off some squeamish Americans? Still the best idea yet, IMO:D.
Quote:Or turn-off some squeamish Americans?
Squemish Americans? Yeah, like any Europeans would approve of fights to the death. If anyone in the Western world would, it'd be the Americans:)
Hi,

Quote:. . . ('our' being Georgia Tech) . . .
Hey! A fellow wreck;)

Next time you get a chance, slurp down a naked steak at the Varsity for me -- I really miss those gut bombs :w00t:

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Quote:Hi,
Hey! A fellow wreck;)

Next time you get a chance, slurp down a naked steak at the Varsity for me -- I really miss those gut bombs :w00t:

--Pete
Mmm, I don't know if I can handle that. I'll settle for a basket of wings at JR Crickets:)

eventhou i miss the nipples,he did a pretty good job.i think prince is a brilliant artist.he just doesnt get the recogniton he deserves.and also for releasing double album,triple album,its no wonder people ignored him.but in any case,he's a good musician.:)
Quote:eventhou i miss the nipples,he did a pretty good job.i think prince is a brilliant artist.he just doesnt get the recogniton he deserves.and also for releasing double album,triple album,its no wonder people ignored him.but in any case,he's a good musician.:)
A tip for you.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete