The trailers for 300 have me pumped
http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/300/

http://300themovie.warnerbros.com/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0416449/

Quote:Based on Frank Miller's graphic novel, "300" concerns the 480 B.C. Battle of Thermopylae, where the King of Sparta led his army against the advancing Persians; the battle is said to have inspired all of Greece to band together against the Persians, and helped usher in the world's first democracy.

Now who doesn't like movies about epic battles between ancient armies? The Spartans were the ultimate army of badassery, and they go up against 1,000,000 invading Persians. It's directed by Zack Snyder, who did the underrated 2004 version of Dawn of the Dead.
I am thoroughly convinced that 300 is going to be friggin amazing.
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
Quote:I am thoroughly convinced that 300 is going to be friggin amazing.
Too bad Gates of Fire wasn't made into a film.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Quote:Now who doesn't like movies about epic battles between ancient armies?

I'm pumped. The HD trailers look great, and it'll be in IMAX. I'm just hoping the local IMAX theater carries it; they've been known to skip "edgy" entertainment, and this may be too violent for them.
At first I thought, "Mind control satellites? No way!" But now I can't remember how we lived without them.
------
WoW PC's of significance
Vaimadarsa Pavis Hykim Jakaleel Odayla Odayla
Quote:
Too bad Gates of Fire wasn't made into a film.

I concur, excellent book.
WWBBD?
The Advertising Pushers did their job well for this one -- even punched through my own jaded, anti-theatre mindset! This will be one of the two or three movies that I'll brave the local popcorn-dispensary to view, assuming I can get my headspace into that place where I can ignore the people, the seating, the chatter, the cellphones, the over-priced tickets...

Thanks for the organized links, Deebye.

*tips helm*
Garnered Wisdom --

If it has more than four legs, kill it immediately.
Never hesitate to put another bullet into the skull of the movie's main villain; it'll save time on the denouement.
Eight hours per day of children's TV programming can reduce a grown man to tears -- PM me for details.
Hi,

Quote:Now who doesn't like movies about epic battles between ancient armies?
Especially if all historical accuracy is flushed away. Might be an OK movie in a mindless way, but when the trailer got into the 'freedom' mode in discussing one of the most oppressive slave societies ever, I didn't know whether to laugh or hurl. And if the Spartans were such bad assed warriors, how come the 'decadent' Athenians (lovers of arts, poetry, and intellect) kept whooping Spartan ass -- last I checked it was Athens, not Sparta that won the Peloponnesian wars. And while Athens survived as a city from antiquity till the present, Sparta just faded into obscurity.

Other than drinking ox blood boiled in vinegar and keeping their Helots subdued, the Spartans never really did much. And don't go quoting 'Stranger who passes here . . .', that hasn't impressed me since before I learned to shave.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Quote:Especially if all historical accuracy is flushed away.

With a film like this, that's the only way to go. I don't think anyone is claiming that 300 is historically accurate. It's a movie based on a comic book based loosely on the Battle of Thermopylae. If it was trying to be historically accurate, it'd probably be pretty dull.
Quote:And if the Spartans were such bad assed warriors, how come the 'decadent' Athenians (lovers of arts, poetry, and intellect) kept whooping Spartan ass -- last I checked it was Athens, not Sparta that won the Peloponnesian wars. And while Athens survived as a city from antiquity till the present, Sparta just faded into obscurity.

Pete, I understand your anti-Spartan sentiment and by no means am I going to try to change it. But at the same time on this particular fact, you may want to brush up on your Thucydides a bit (and a few other sources, following Greek history from 411 til about 370). There certainly are examples of Athens 'whooping Spartan ass', but there's some pretty big examples of the opposite being true as well.

Let me be clear, I'm not trying to launch into a nitpick of your post by any means. And in turn, I understand if it was more of an off hand comment, not one to look too deeply into. :)

And for what it's worth, the Spartan 300 did have a relatively big effect on the history of Greece and the Persian invasions. Though of course, that history is washed aside for a comic based (incredibly loose) interpretation.

Cheers,

Munk

PS. Personally I'm still pumped for the movie, even though that does mean Leonidas will become a less open account name. Sigh. So be the times;)

EDIT: Although your objections to the Spartan treatment of the Helots is fair, don't lose sight of the Athenian standard as well. Specifically, look into the Silver Mines they employed starting under Themistocles (~495 BCE). The Athenians had no problem sending in children into the small mine shafts. Especially when their enslaved parents died an early death due to the mines.
Quote:... PS. Personally I'm still pumped for the movie, even though that does mean Leonidas will become a less open account name. Sigh. So be the times;)
Precisely why I have this internet handle. Nobody makes movies about some old king of Dumbarton!

[sotto voce] (of course, the whole "Merlin's brother-in-law" thing should have invited some interest) [/sotto voce]
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Quote:Hi,
Especially if all historical accuracy is flushed away. Might be an OK movie in a mindless way, but when the trailer got into the 'freedom' mode in discussing one of the most oppressive slave societies ever, I didn't know whether to laugh or hurl. And if the Spartans were such bad assed warriors, how come the 'decadent' Athenians (lovers of arts, poetry, and intellect) kept whooping Spartan ass -- last I checked it was Athens, not Sparta that won the Peloponnesian wars. And while Athens survived as a city from antiquity till the present, Sparta just faded into obscurity.

Other than drinking ox blood boiled in vinegar and keeping their Helots subdued, the Spartans never really did much. And don't go quoting 'Stranger who passes here . . .', that hasn't impressed me since before I learned to shave.

--Pete
Pete:

Sparta and its allies (which eventually included Persians) won the Peloponnesian War, reference Thucydides study of that same conflict, the one that lasted about three decades and saw Pericles die, whereafter Athenian leadership led to a series of follies that resulted in Athenian defeat.

The expedition to Sicily, and the plague that destroyed roughly a third of Athens' population, led to their defeat. As a condition of surrender at the end of the last act in that war, Athens was required to dismantle the city walls.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Quote:Pete, I understand your anti-Spartan sentiment and by no means am I going to try to change it. But at the same time on this particular fact, you may want to brush up on your Thucydides a bit (and a few other sources, following Greek history from 411 til about 370). There certainly are examples of Athens 'whooping Spartan ass', but there's some pretty big examples of the opposite being true as well.

Let me be clear, I'm not trying to launch into a nitpick of your post by any means. And in turn, I understand if it was more of an off hand comment, not one to look too deeply into. :)

And for what it's worth, the Spartan 300 did have a relatively big effect on the history of Greece and the Persian invasions. Though of course, that history is washed aside for a comic based (incredibly loose) interpretation.

Cheers,

Munk

PS. Personally I'm still pumped for the movie, even though that does mean Leonidas will become a less open account name. Sigh. So be the times;)
While the Spartan stand was awesome (and there were more than Spartans there) the naval battle of Salamis was as important to that invasion's ultimate failure at Platea.

Logistics is for pros, and tactics for amateurs. The sea arm was a critical component of Xerxes overarching plan.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Quote:While the Spartan stand was awesome (and there were more than Spartans there) the naval battle of Salamis was as important to that invasion's ultimate failure at Platea.

Logisics is for pros, and tactics for amateurs. The sea arm was a critical component of Xerxes overarching plan.

Occhi

Interesting indeed Occhi. I'm familiar with a few books, one of which focusing entirely on the battle of Salamis, which tell the same thing. Add to that the face that I am not endowed with either tactical nor logistical prowess, and that you by (former) profession certainly have it in spades, I definitely will concede this point.

Still, it would have been quite a sight to see the battle of Thermopylae. All those Persians (medes and others included) decked out in wicker shields and light armor against the heavy phalanx of Spartan Hoplites.

Cheers,

Munk

>PS. Personally I'm still pumped for the movie, even though that does mean Leonidas will become a less open account name. Sigh. So be the times;)

Wha wha what? The first 'Leonidas' might be taken up within the first weeks of the movie, but I think it will have a great chance to join the hallowed ranks of such great names as Gand0lf3665. ;)

On the movie, I think it's a Frank Miller story, that is you sort of know what to expect, since Miller writes and draws in that Miller hardboiled style a lot whether it's trenchcoat, cape, or toga. That isn't always bad though, since many artist strive for a distinct style or voice.

And that's what should be kept in mind, Miller used a lot of artistic license. And it does say in the fine print of that license that historical truth and accuracy will not be an obstacle to story telling.:)
http://movies.ign.com/articles/763/763580p1.html

Quote:Combining old-school mythmaking with ultramodern technique, Snyder has crafted a one-of-a-kind masterpiece that is unlike any movie audiences have seen, and in so doing he may have sealed his own fate as a possible redeemer of modern moviemaking.

I think they liked it...
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
Quote:>PS. Personally I'm still pumped for the movie, even though that does mean Leonidas will become a less open account name. Sigh. So be the times;)
Wha wha what? The first 'Leonidas' might be taken up within the first weeks of the movie, but I think it will have a great chance to join the hallowed ranks of such great names as Gand0lf3665. ;)

On the movie, I think it's a Frank Miller story, that is you sort of know what to expect, since Miller writes and draws in that Miller hardboiled style a lot whether it's trenchcoat, cape, or toga. That isn't always bad though, since many artist strive for a distinct style or voice.

And that's what should be kept in mind, Miller used a lot of artistic license. And it does say in the fine print of that license that historical truth and accuracy will not be an obstacle to story telling.:)
The trouble is that rather than researchable obscurity, the 300 will become the Cliff Notes for the modern masses. So I fear worse than not telling the tale, is mis-telling the tale. Myth telling does no harm if we are talking about "The Dark Knight Returns". The feat at Thermopylae deserves at least a framework of historical accuracy, but I fear that is another victim of a world consumed with entertaining itself to death.

I will probably see it, and enjoy it. But, I will know it is no more factual than Die Hard.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Quote:The trouble is that rather than researchable obscurity, the 300 will become the Cliff Notes for the modern masses. So I fear worse than not telling the tale, is mis-telling the tale. Myth telling does no harm if we are talking about "The Dark Knight Returns". The feat at Thermopylae deserves at least a framework of historical accuracy, but I fear that is another victim of a world consumed with entertaining itself to death.

I will probably see it, and enjoy it. But, I will know it is no more factual than Die Hard.

And Harmodius and Aristogeton slew the tyrants...
Aw gee-a remake of the old Richard Egan movie (circa 1962), The 300 Spartans.
Here are some screenshots from one of the 1080p trailers. Click the thumbnail, and then click the scaled image for the full one.

Off the cliff with you!
[Image: vlcsnap39090mv9.th.jpg]

Wolf hunts Spartan boy, or Spartan boy hunts wolf?
[Image: vlcsnap40468dq4.th.jpg]

Xerxes on his pimped out throne.
[Image: vlcsnap40959pt2.th.jpg]

TONIGHT WE DINE IN HELL!
[Image: vlcsnap41255gi1.th.jpg]

Whoa horsey.
[Image: vlcsnap41590ua8.th.jpg]

Boot to the chest, just for fun. WE ARE SPARTA!
[Image: vlcsnap49206zh0.th.jpg]

I think this guy has medical problems.
[Image: vlcsnap50503po8.th.jpg]

I get a real Chronicles of Riddick vibe from this mask for some reason.
[Image: vlcsnap50819wa6.th.jpg]

I don't know anything about sailing but I think this is a bad thing.
[Image: vlcsnap51078le0.th.jpg]

Enemy army advancing.
[Image: vlcsnap51242fq2.th.jpg]
- more 1080p screenshots -

GRR!
[Image: vlcsnap51382dp7.th.jpg]

Spartan Phalanx! Everyone was waiting for this.
[Image: vlcsnap51530fb0.th.jpg]

Xerxes looks angry.
[Image: vlcsnap51968ki0.th.jpg]

LASER BEAM!
[Image: vlcsnap52552nn5.th.jpg]

Cut those arrows off of your shield, and make an awesome screenshot.
[Image: vlcsnap52757os7.th.jpg]

These guys are BUFF!
[Image: vlcsnap52898zf5.th.jpg]

Title shot.
[Image: vlcsnap53099gp1.th.jpg]