Hilarious Verizon math
I just saw this "news" at Slashdot. For the humour, listen to the phone call, linked in the summary (it is on YouTube). Do listen to all the 22 minutes, it's good all the way. See if you know the difference between 0.002 dollars and 0.002 cents.

http://science.slashdot.org/article.pl?s...09/0625245

Have fun!
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
This is so funny, but it's also so sad, because I honestly think these people don't understand the difference.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
It's the new math...:blink:
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Doesn't surprise me. It is Version after all - a company which doesn't seem to grasp something as simple as 'We're not buying, bye.' Can't really expect them to do any better at complicated aritmetic.

I wonder if they understand 'Goodbye, and Don't Call Again' any better.
I got about 12 minutes in before I had to turn it off. Absolutely ridiculous.

Something to remember next time someone argues that American's aren't behind in math and the sciences :blink:

Cheers,

Munk
Wow. Preserve the units, people! Don't let them go extinct!
Wow, this is almost painful to listen to. I can just imagine how this guy had to hold back while he was explaining basic math. I would have lost it. I have to give him credit for the patience he had.
Quote:Wow, this is almost painful to listen to. I can just imagine how this guy had to hold back while he was explaining basic math. I would have lost it. I have to give him credit for the patience he had.
I agree, I would not have had that kind of patience. My favorite part was where the agent said "Well, I think we have a difference of opinion" and he was like "It's not a difference of opinion, it's basic math."
-TheDragoon
Quote:I agree, I would not have had that kind of patience. My favorite part was where the agent said "Well, I think we have a difference of opinion" and he was like "It's not a difference of opinion, it's basic math."

He should write them a cheque for 100.00 cents. They'd never know the difference!
Quote:Wow, this is almost painful to listen to. I can just imagine how this guy had to hold back while he was explaining basic math. I would have lost it. I have to give him credit for the patience he had.

The trick to having that kind of patience is not to think about the fact that the stupidest person in the universe has decided to pay you a personal visit today.

-Lemmy
Quote:The trick to having that kind of patience is not to think about the fact that the stupidest person in the universe has decided to pay you a personal visit today.

Yeah, but the guy escalated his call through 2 regular employees, a supervisor, and a manager. None of them showed even the most basic understanding of the situation. This was 4 stupidest people right in succession.

I thought he almost got through to the first guy during this exchange.

You know there's a difference between 1 dollar and a cent?
Yes of course

You know there's a difference between half a dollar and half a cent?
Yes of course

You know there's a difference between .002 dollars and .002 cents?
No

And that's when I wanted to put my fist through my monitor.
Quote:Yeah, but the guy escalated his call through 2 regular employees, a supervisor, and a manager. None of them showed even the most basic understanding of the situation. This was 4 stupidest people right in succession.

I thought he almost got through to the first guy during this exchange.

You know there's a difference between 1 dollar and a cent?
Yes of course

You know there's a difference between half a dollar and half a cent?
Yes of course

You know there's a difference between .002 dollars and .002 cents?
No

And that's when I wanted to put my fist through my monitor.

Oh, I listened to the audio file. But when it comes to flabbergasting deficits of mathematical reasoning, I've long since learned not to be flabbergasted until the source is out of earshot. You see, I've worked with college students who can't perform addition unless it involves only positive integers. In other words, their math skills are at a first grade level. To me, the Verizon employees make for a great story, but over all, I've seen worse... in the flesh. And I've had to teach them.

-Lemmy
Quote:To me, the Verizon employees make for a great story, but over all, I've seen worse... in the flesh. And I've had to teach them.

I tip my hat to you, and I don't envy you.
I am scared after listening to that. Someone please hold me:(
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
Quote:I am scared after listening to that. Someone please hold me:(
*weeps on Mith's shoulder*

One person left a comment on the YouTube posting, which read "this is everything that is wrong with the world". I am inclined to agree.

Let's all speak math and LOJBAN.
The error occurred on line -1.
Quote:complicated aritmetic

:blink:
The error occurred on line -1.
Quote::blink:
Are you looking at me funny? Because I don't think there's anything funny about how I do math.

One... Two... Three... Many.
"One day, o-n-e day..."
Quote:...You see, I've worked with college students who can't perform addition unless it involves only positive integers. In other words, their math skills are at a first grade level.

I've had a few friends who, just this past semester, took a computing science course on game theory that was cross listed with philosophy as well as a Introduction to Cognitive Science class. Our circle of friends were greatly amused, and horrified, repeatedly, by stories of incompetence, irrationality, and sheer WTF-ness displayed by our less scientifically-inclined colleagues.

Two of the few tales that are repeated time and time again are of one particularly vocal student that complained having to plot (only positive) decimal numbers on a graph was work that was unfair towards the non-computing students, and one female student that dismissed the computational representation of mind as false because "It takes the mystery out of everything."

:wacko:
The best part is that it begins to take on a whole new deminsion! Aside from the cents/dollars dilemma, the people who post comments start going back an forth as to whether or not the reps themselves are from canada or not:

"hahaha stupid americans!"

"they aren't in america, if you listen to the recording the rep clearly says they are in canada"

"he was referring to the fact that he was looking up the RATES for cananda, not that they were physically IN cananda"

"they have american accents, not canadian accents eh"

And then, 20 comments later:

"hahaha stupid americans!"

"they aren't in america, if you listen to the recording the rep clearly says they are in canada"

...and so it goes
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!
Sorry, but I just saw this comment:

"I don't know what the fuss is about. The reps are right. $0.002 is 0.002 cents. You can tell because it's after the point. That's where cents go. I think the guy should pay his $71 and shut up."

Ah, the root of the issue. Apparently not even writing it down helps to visualize it - for some at least.
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!