What're YOU asking Santa for Christmas?
Well, its obviously that time of the year, and still being one of the young 'uns, my mother has asked me for a few items that I might want for Christmas... but I find myself pretty sufficient, so I was wondering, what're you asking for this holiday season?

I'm trying to keep this fairly reasonable (I intend on buying a Wii for myself, but $250 for a retired grandma is a *bit* much), but I'm kind of curious what kind of small gadgets, gizmos, and random things you think make good gifts?

Personally, I think this and something like this would be pretty cool... but thats just me.

-Baylan
VG-SoH beta key ;)

For those who want to buy themselves into the beta there is this: http://www.vanguardsoh.com/preorder/ :blink:
Already got it. Asked for a fireplace. Now, this here apartment of mine didn't come with a fireplace or a chimney, so what I received is one of those electric jobs with the backlight flame effect and a forced-air heater. Cherrywood mantle that provides quaint ambiance, and I've already outfitted it with the relevant props: a skull (Mr. Bones from Halloween, if you remember); briar churchwarden pipe (don't smoke); walking stick (still got two good legs); and a reproduction 15th Century Swiss longsword (time machine isn't operational— yet).
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Cold weather UnderArmour, tops and bottoms.
UnderArmour/CoolMax socks for my boots.
Polypropylene glove inserts.
Helmet liner.

Btw, I am in ROTC up in Vermont. Lots of cold weather training excursions. =)
WWBBD?
This and a C#/.NET book for my intern/co-op job next semester. Given that I'll be making lots of money next semester to use to buy gadgets and that I am down to $27 to my name to live on... I need some cash:)
"Just as individuals are born, mature, breed and die, so do societies, civilizations and governments."
Muad'Dib - Children of Dune
I have asked my wife for a decent 3/8" corded drill with a good warrantee. I will be buying a Wii for the family just as soon as I can get my mitts on one.
>but I'm kind of curious what kind of small gadgets, gizmos, and random things you think make good gifts?

For me personally, I'm a bit of a flashlight nut. Especially those new high powered LED ones. I'm nuts enough to be tempted to spend some coin on an artificial sapphire watch crystal (virtually scratch proof) to put on a mini magled.

Realistically speaking though, under a relatively reasonable budget I'd be asking for a 3AA minimagled, and or a good quality but small leatherman type multi-tool. Something like that falls nicely around 30-40$ each.

If however we're talking no holds barred yes Virginia there really is a Santa Claus, and he included me in his will, I'd be putting these on my want list:

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews...excls4.htm

And

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_dis...r/900/sesent/00

And

http://elektrolumens.com/Lucidus-3AA/Lucidus-3AA.html

(the shotgun attached would be a nice bonus, but I don't want to be greedy;)

And this for a stocking stuffer.

http://moontrail.com/ltg-chargeTI.php#Black
I've asked for gift certificates. That way I can buy the stuff I want, no the stuff my estranged aunts and uncles want for me.

I'm just not loving Christmas anymore. I never get anything good anymore. Now I get more joy out of giving great presents to those members of my family who give me crap, just to make them feel bad. It's the true meaning of Christmas: Shame through generosity! My birthday is also on the 24th of December, which means I get no presents for my birthday from anyone except my immediate family. It stinks!

Can't wait for February!

Edit: If book-binding hadn't been so ridiculously expensive, I'd bind my Master's thesis on online communication and give one copy to each of my family-members and friends.:)
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Quote:Well, its obviously that time of the year, and still being one of the young 'uns, my mother has asked me for a few items that I might want for Christmas... but I find myself pretty sufficient, so I was wondering, what're you asking for this holiday season?

We're actually passing by Santa's line, and heading down to the deli for an audience with Hannukah Harry. My son (at the age of 7.5 months, 28" tall and 23 lbs and wearing clothes marked 12-18 months) despite repeatedly asking for a new "a-bah-bah-bah-bah" or the classic "ahhhhh-dth" will be receiving a new convertible car seat (meaning it can be configured for forward and backward facing). My wife will be getting her share of the car seat price picked up by me, and lucky me, I'll be getting my share of the car seat picked up by Harry. That's about it, aside from maybe an introduction to meats in time for dinner on the first night. Although, I think his maternal grandfather has gotten him a train set (that we'll have to keep out of reach for a few years).

If she's good between now and then, my wife might get a copy of Pirates 2 on DVD. But she's got to hold out until the 15th, so we'll see if she can make it.
but often it happens you know / that the things you don't trust are the ones you need most....
Opening lines of "Psalm" by Hey Rosetta!
jahcs home safe from Iraq.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
This, this, or this. Hell I would even take this. I just want a weapon upgrade.:P
Hmm.

Healthy baby. First off. Wife is almost 12 weeks in.

There is a beautiful 80 calibre matchlock pistol that I greatly covet. I'd like to buy it and restore it a bit. And yes, I will fire the damn thing. Stop looking at me funny, guns are meant to be fired.

More tools, saws, files, benchpins, and what not for my smithy studies.

A brand new traditional tank kilt in the Black Isle tartan. Oooh and a 22 ounce wool military tank kilt with box pleats.

And really, a healthy baby and wife. I can give up all of the other stuff. I'd really like a little girl.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Quote:I will be buying a Wii for the family just as soon as I can get my mitts on one.

LOL, that's a good one.

-A
Apart from coal in my Xmas stocking (so I can fire up the forge) I was thinking a new jointer would be nice...

maybe a Lee Valley
[Image: 05p3701-dsp.jpg]
or even a Lie-Nielsen
[Image: 8_lg.jpg]

but I would settle for a tacky necktie.

Krishta
Wood Hoarder, Blade Sharpener, and Occasional Tool User

Those are very very very, purty. I'm a rasp \ file and high speed rotary tool guy myself, but Lee Valley's got some really nice hand tools. I've always liked the looks of this lil' beaut.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=...1131,43408&ap=1