Which DVD version of Lord of the Ring?
I am considering geting the movies on DVD and have found that there is really several different versions out there. So, what are the differences and which one to pick?

First of, there is of course the standard version, the initial one. I am not really interested in this one.

Then there is the extended version of each one. This appearantly comes in a version with typically 4 DVD, were the movie is on 2 discs while the other 2 are for extra material. It says the format is 2.35:1. I am not aware if there is a "box" of these versions.

Then there is the recent limited edition box which appearantly is the same extended version. However, each movie is on one disc only (with the added possibility to play original version which I don't really care about) and only one extra disc with new extra material, appearantly not the same as on the other older version. The format is 16:9 on this it seems.

Are there more versions?

So, how do they fit the same movie on one disi instead of two? Is it due to the smaller format making the data size so small that it fits on one disc? If so, does it mean they simply croped away the sides of the film compared to the other version? Or is it extra compression? What about picture/sound quality, the same? Something else differ?

It is my understanding that 16:9 is the actual size of the widescreen TV sets but still, one can pressumably see the wider one with extra black on top and bottom for the more wide version, right?

Is there any other thing to consider? I really am not much into the extra material, am happy with the movies only, but is any of it really too goog to miss?

What would you recomend me to get?
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Quote:What would you recomend me to get?

Unfortunately I can't answer too many of your questions, but I do have the Extended edition (4-disc per version) of all three films, and they do have the black band presentation for the widescreen format. Additionally, each film includes extended versions of many of the sceenes, which come down to a few extra lines of dialogue here and there, or a few extra shots of the (often digitally enhanced) scenery. Although, it occurs to me, I never did sit down and watch the Return of the King all the way through. Have to add that to the to do list for next week-end...

IMHO, the disc change in the middle is not a big deal, they parsed out the movies relatively well and the break comes just about the time you need to get up and strech your legs anyway. And the intro/menu on the second disc is just a simple one button press for "continue the movie." I don't go in for the commentary tracks on most DVD's so I'm not sure how many there are, or if they're any good, but my suspicion on a 1 disc version of the extended movie is maybe less commentary? Maybe stripping out commentary tracks reduces file size, like collapsing a photoshop file to a single layer?
but often it happens you know / that the things you don't trust are the ones you need most....
Opening lines of "Psalm" by Hey Rosetta!
Buy them all. That's what New Line wants you to do...

I personally would not settle for anything other than widescreen, even if I'm watching it on a 16:9 ratio TV screen. Unless it was shot in open matte, widescreen shows more of the scenery as composed by the cinematographer (open matte is just the opposite, though).
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Hi,

Quote:Then there is the extended version of each one. This appearantly comes in a version with typically 4 DVD, were the movie is on 2 discs while the other 2 are for extra material. It says the format is 2.35:1. I am not aware if there is a "box" of these versions.
That is the version (of each of the three episodes) which we have. Played on a 16:9 set, the black bands on top and bottom are hardly noticeable. Some of the added scenes do help the story flow. The sound plays beautifully through our 5.1 system. Overall, while I have no personal experience of the other two versions, I can say that this version is excellent.

I am not much of a fan of peripheral material, so I cannot address the contents of the non-movie disks.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Extended Letterbox (16:9) without a shadow of a doubt. The experience is just so much better and the extended versions give you much more of the story. While it still misses somethings from the books, it fills the holes that are seen in the theatrical release edition and the panoramas that get cut with a 4:3 ratio kind of detract in some places.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Hi,

I Have the 12 DVD Extented version...It is Awesome :wub:

Quote:
[Image: 40699210.jpg]

Lord of the Rings-Motion Picture Trilogy...Platinum, Buy.com Total Price: $71.10

Features: DVD, Widescreen, Aspect Ratio 2.35:1, Dolby Digital (5.1), Stereo Surround Sound, Featurettes, Audio Commentary, Documentaries, Design Galleries, Visual Effects, Short Films, Interactive Map, English, Spanish Subtitles, 12 Discs

Contains all three Extended Editions of The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy.
THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING: With the help of a courageous fellowship of friends and allies, Frodo embarks on a perilous mission to destroy the legendary One Ring. Hunting Frodo are servants of the Dark Lord Sauron, the Ring's evil creator. If Sauron reclaims the Ring, Middle-earth is doomed. Winner of four Academy Awards, this epic tale of good versus evil, friendship and sacrifice will transport you to a world beyond imagination.

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS: The Fellowship has broken, but the quest to destroy the One Ring continues. Frodo and Sam must entrust their lives to Gollum if they are to find their way to Mordor. As Saruman's army approaches, the surviving members of the Fellowhip, along with people and creatures from Middle-earth, prepare for battle. The War of the Ring has begun. Nominated for six Academy Awards including Best Picture.

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING: The final battle for Middle-earth begins as Frodo and Sam, led by Gollum, continue their dangerous mission toward the fires of Mount Doom in order to destroy the One Ring. Aragorn struggles to fulfill his legacy as he leads his outnumbered followers against the growing power of the Dark Lord Sauron, so that the Ring-bearer Frodo may complete his quest. Based on J.R.R. Tolkien's epic adventure of good versus evil is the ultimate achievement by director Peter Jackson in his acclaimed film trilogy.

Editor's Note

Peter Jackson's epic trilogy is fully told here, with special extended version of all three LORD OF THE RINGS films included.

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING: With THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING, director Peter Jackson has achieved a meticulous and captivating adaptation of the first book of J.R.R. Tolkien's classic fantasy trilogy. The setting is Middle-earth, a mythological land populated by elves, dwarves, humans, and the gentle, diminutive hobbits upon whom the story centers. One hobbit, Frodo Baggins (Elijah Wood), unexpectedly comes into possession of an ancient magical ring so powerful it invariably corrupts anyone who wears it. In order to prevent the ring's erstwhile owner, the dark lord Sauron, from reclaiming the ring and taking over Middle-earth, a motley band of comrades set out to destroy it in the fires of Mount Doom, where it was forged. Included in the group are Frodo and hobbits Sam (Sean Astin), Merry (Dominic Monoghan), and Pippin (Billy Boyd); the wizard Gandalf (Ian McKellen); human warriors Aragorn (Viggo Mortensen) and Boromir (Sean Bean); the dwarf Gimli (John Rhys-Davies); the elf Legolas (Orlando Bloom). Along the way, they wage battle with monsters, demons, and Sauron's evil minions, all brought to life by spectacular digital technology.

LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS: Picking up where the first film left off, Peter Jackson's THE TWO TOWERS throws the remaining members of the Fellowship into the scattered chaos of Middle-earth, now fully under siege by the forces of Sauron. While Frodo (Elijah Wood) and Sam (Sean Astin) journey to the dreaded Mordor, Merry (Dominic Monaghan) and Pippin (Billy Boyd) are held captive by orcs, and Aragorn (Viggo Mortensen), Legolas (Orlando Bloom), and Gimli (John Rhys-Davies) search for their abducted companions. Soon Frodo and Sam are joined by the sulking and duplicitous Gollum (portrayed by the voice and motion-captured acting of Andy Serkis), who becomes their guide through the barren lands leading to Mount Doom. Meanwhile Merry and Pippin encounter the looming Treebeard (voiced by Rhys-Davies) and Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli find themselves in the land of Rohan, accompanied by an old friend. As the tale continues, each scenario becomes more perilous, and fierce battles erupt at both Isengard, home of the treacherous Saruman (Christopher Lee), and the massive Helm's Deep.

LORD OF THE RINGS: THE RETURN OF THE KING: THE RETURN OF THE KING, the third and final film in Peter Jackson's THE LORD OF THE RINGS trilogy, finds Middle-earth on the cusp of great change. Weary hobbits Frodo (Elijah Wood) and Sam (Sean Astin) venture further into the dark realm of Mordor, guided by the increasingly desperate Gollum (Andy Serkis), the two-faced former owner of the Ring that Frodo must destroy in the fires of Mount Doom. Meanwhile Gandalf (Ian McKellen) and Pippin (Billy Boyd) contend with the deranged ruler Denethor (John Noble) at the once-mighty city of Minas Tirith, as Merry (Dominic Monaghan) joins owyn (Miranda Otto) and the Riders of Rohan to hold back the forces of Sauron. Amidst the chaos, Aragorn (Viggo Mortensen) must rise to his destiny, aided by Legolas (Orlando Bloom) and Gimli (John Rhys-Davies) in assembling allies for a massive battle that will decide the fate of Middle-earth.

Features Bonus Discs Featuring Hours Of Additional Content, In-Depth Programs, Featurettes, Exclusive 10-Minute Behind-The-Scenes, Preview of Electronic Arts' video game, Music Videos and more!

Two discs with hours of original content including multiple documentaries and design/photo galleries with thousands of images to give viewers an in-depth behind-the-scenes look at The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers.

Two discs with hours of original content including multiple documentaries and design/photo galleries with thousands of images to give viewers an in-depth behind-the-scenes look at The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring.

Subtitles: English, Spanish
Two discs with hours of original content including multiple documentaries and design/photo galleries with thousands of images to give viewers an in-depth behind-the-scenes look at The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King.

Widescreen Presentation
Audio: English Dolby Digital EX 5.1 Surround Sound, DTS ES 6.1 Surround Sound, Stereo Surround Sound
Cast commentary features dialogue between split-personality characters Gollum and Smeagol (Andy Serkis)

Four audio commentaries by the director and writers, the design team, the production team and the cast featuring more than 30 participants including Peter Jackson, Elijah Wood, Sean Astin, Orlando Bloom and many more!

Technical Info
Release Information

Studio: New Line
Release Date: 1/17/2006
Running Time: 681 minutes
Catalog ID: 7347
UPC: 00794043734724
Number of Discs: 4

Audio & Video

Original Language: English
Available Audio Tracks: English
Video: Color

He can do more for Others, Who has done most with Himself.
Price: $63.99

The Lord of the Rings - The Motion Picture Trilogy (Platinum Series Special Extended Edition) (2004)

Starring: Viggo Mortensen, Peter Jackson Director: Elijah Wood Rating
(325 customer reviews)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
List Price: $80.95
Price: $63.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping.

Price: $63.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shippin

I think the behind the scenes on the extended versions is well worth it. I have all three and have watched it all multiple times. Of course, I'm a LotR whore so it wasn't even a question:)Besides, the boxes are pretty and look good sitting on my shelf:D
"Just as individuals are born, mature, breed and die, so do societies, civilizations and governments."
Muad'Dib - Children of Dune
Hi,

Additional INFO, Two additional hours of material in the extended editions: :w00t:

Quote:The extended editions of Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings present the greatest trilogy in film history in the most ambitious sets in DVD history. In bringing J.R.R. Tolkien's nearly unfilmable work to the screen, Jackson benefited from extraordinary special effects, evocative New Zealand locales, and an exceptionally well-chosen cast, but most of all from his own adaptation with co-writers Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens, preserving Tolkien's vision and often his very words, but also making logical changes to accommodate the medium of film.

While purists complained about these changes and about characters and scenes left out of the films, the almost two additional hours of material in the extended editions (about 11 hours total) help appease them by delving more deeply into Tolkien's music, the characters, and loose ends that enrich the story, such as an explanation of the Faramir-Denethor relationship, and the appearance of the Mouth of Sauron at the gates of Mordor. In addition, the extended editions offer more bridge material between the films, further confirming that the trilogy is really one long film presented in three pieces (which is why it's the greatest trilogy ever--there's no weak link). The scene of Galadriel's gifts to the Fellowship added to the first film proves significant over the course of the story, while the new Faramir scene at the end of the second film helps set up the third and the new Saruman scene at the beginning of the third film helps conclude the plot of the second.

To top it all off, the extended editions offer four discs per film: two for the longer movie, plus four commentary tracks and stupendous DTS 6.1 ES sound; and two for the bonus material, which covers just about everything from script creation to special effects. The argument was that fans would need both versions because the bonus material is completely different, but the features on the theatrical releases are so vastly inferior that the only reason a fan would need them would be if they wanted to watch the shorter versions they saw in theaters (the last of which, The Return of the King, merely won 11 Oscars).

The LOTR extended editions without exception have set the DVD standard by providing a richer film experience that pulls the three films together and further embraces Tolkien's world, a reference-quality home theater experience, and generous, intelligent, and engrossing bonus features. --David Horiuchi

What vexes me greatly is that there is no ultimate LOTR-package. I own this, but it still doesn't have all the bonus material from the LOTR-trilogy. The Golllum-DVD from The Two Towers and (more importantly) the Howard Shore-DVD from The Return of the King are pathetically absent in this 12-disc set. By all means, the 12-disc box set is the best DVD box set ever (!), but what's the use in purchasing one of these ultimate box sets, when you don't get everything, and are forced to purchase the "collector's editions" for the second and third film? :o

Oh, and for the LOTR-fanatics: behold the new(!) extended versions:

Fellowship
Towers
King
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Thanks everyone so far for the input. I think however, some of you have missed to read my initial post, or missunderstood. There are TWO different edditions of the extended version of the movies. My question was primarily about which of those two to pick. The actual movies on those two extended edditions are the same, it is the extra material that appearantly differ as well as the screen size.

Having read here and looked at it a bit more, I feel I will definately go for the "original", 4 disc version of the extended movies. I believe one can buy the seperately or in a "boxed" version that is simply the three in a simply paper wrapper of sort.

Again, thanks everyone.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.