D'oh!
While watching my school's basketball team get crushed by Boston College last night, I managed to spill hot chocolate on my laptop... As I tried to clean the mess quickly, I tore off the "I" key from the keyboard, and broke the plastic and the membrane that are necessary to make it work... I'm typing that letter with a combination of copy & paste and jamming down on the vacated spot pretty hard... Plus, several keys are quite sticky.

So I'm wondering, what should I do?

First thing this morning I went to my school's computer center, they said they'd take a look at it next week, but at a cost of 34 dollars for an estimate, plus a minimum of $30 ($60 an hour, half hour minimum), plus parts, I started looking to see if I might be able to do it on my own.

http://www.notebookparts.com/products/desc...on.php?II=12465

This is the keyboard, and at $100 plus S&H, it might be possible for me to replace it without too much trouble... I've even looked up the instructions to do so - ( http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/Gatewa...8255faq38.shtml )

So... what should I do? Let the computer store fix it? I feel like I can replace it myself, so I'm apt to do just that - my next question is, where should I order the part from? Know of any chains that might carry it?

Any tips and or suggestions in the repairs?

Thanks,
Baylan
$34 for an estimate? Wow... :o

If it is going to cost less ordering the part yourself, I would definitely go with that route. Keyboard replacement on laptops is trivial since, these days, the component in question is designed to be easily replaced. It's a job you really can't botch on, unless the laptop itself is horridly designed.

Also, doing it yourself means you're spared from having to leave your laptop at the shop for any extended period of time. Granted, this would depend on your school's computer center, and how they handle minor repairs. Some computer stores will be happy to do very minor part replacements on the spot, and won't ask you to leave your machine with them until the part comes in if not necessary, although I'm not sure if it is the case with the shop you are dealing with.
On average I replace upwards of 6 laptop keyboards each day, takes roughly two minutes. Very easy, and they usually come with instructions and the tools that they claim are needed. I would do it yourself and save the money.
WWBBD?
Quote:First thing this morning I went to my school's computer center, they said they'd take a look at it next week, but at a cost of 34 dollars for an estimate, plus a minimum of $30 ($60 an hour, half hour minimum), plus parts...

Computer Center: Well, it is my estimation that hot chocolate has been spilled on this keyboard, and it will cost $60 per hour plus the cost of parts to fix. That'll be $34.
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!
Quote:Computer Center: Well, it is my estimation that hot chocolate has been spilled on this keyboard, and it will cost $60 per hour plus the cost of parts to fix. That'll be $34.

The minimum would be $64 dollars. 34 for the estimate and 30 for the half hour...

its a racket, and ridiculous, so...
I am Baylan

Hardcore is the way to play!

You'll find me on US-East, on the account name Baylan (for now, I'll add more as I get my accounts up and hardcore-capable).
For any who care, and or wanted to know, the repair went successfully. I am enjoying my brand new (and exactly the same, except cleaner, and less sticky) keyboard

Thanks for the help,
Baylan
Quote:For any who care, and or wanted to know, the repair went successfully. I am enjoying my brand new (and exactly the same, except cleaner, and less sticky) keyboard

Thanks for the help,
Baylan

Congratulations.:)