For Arena Domination
What setup do you think would prove to be the most efficient? Keep in mind, this is considering Level 60 characters, since I don't think there's enough information about Level 70 play out there to make accurate guesses (particularly where new profession items and such come into play; I can't wait to get my hands on a Rocket Launcher.)

I've given this a little thought here and there, and it seems to me a good setup would go something like this:

One Warrior, of any spec. MS debuff would probably be crucial against healer-heavy teams, but you could always respec for it if you knew you were likely to be facing one at some point. Fury gives some very nice passive benefits (lowered Intercept timer, Death Wish, cheap Executes), while Protection gives a large amount of disruption potential (Shield Slam for dispelling and general damage, Concussion Blow, silencing Shield Bash) with a slight increase in survivability. Most organized PvP, in my experience, has been a bit like Follow the Freight Train™, with the Warrior leading off.

One Priest, specced for longevity/utility. A Priest I worked with frequently had some kind of mutant tri-spec build that seemed to grab for all the utility skills it could while increasing his longevity, and it seemed to work pretty well. As I recall, he had Silence and Facemelt from Shadow, Improved Inner Fire and Inner Focus from Discipline, and I believe he had Improved Renew and was considering Spirit of Redemption in Holy. I don't know his exact spec (and he was reluctant to share it, citing that he didn't want people copying it and claiming it as their own), but I do know that I saw him survive truly horrific beatings while healing me, once people realized that I was not going to be dying until he died. I'd think that most people would instinctively target the Priest first (which means rapid dispelling, so Improved Inner Fire would probably be useless), so the build would want to capitalize on that, increasing the Priest's survivability to maximum so the other four can merrily butcher the other team while they waste time on the Priest.

One Paladin, specced for healing/utility. I'd assume this means Holy with some points in Protection and possibly Retribution to increase the effectiveness of critical buffs and skills (Judgements, Hammer of Justice, Blessing of Freedom) and gain Blessing of Kings. The Paladin would provide effective cross-healing and dispelling (no point in trying to sheep anyone until the Pally's blown his CC breaks), and a Warrior with Blessing of Freedom is downright scary.

One Shaman, of any spec that includes Nature's Swiftness. Nature's Swiftness is a given in most forms of group PvP, simply because it offers so much versatility; it can be used for the stock instant Healing Wave, or it can be used offensively, for an instant Chain Lightning or Lightning Bolt. The Shaman's spec will ultimately be somewhat unimportant, since they're all useful to a degree. An Elemental Shaman will wreck anything and everything until OOM or killed, and an Enhancement Shaman obliterates casters of all kinds. Restoration Shamans offer Healing Way (use HW1 to get the full buff going, then shoot the target a NS+HW) and Mana Tide Totem, as well as improved healing abilities through Purification. I don't see Reincarnation as being critical, but coming back with 40%/40% as opposed to 20%/20% could win a very close match.

One DPS class. This is a generic DPS class spot, and could probably be filled by ANY class, as long as they're specced for DPS. Shadow Priests bring Vampiric Embrace and all the other Shadow goodies with them, as well as an additional Shieldbot and last-ditch healer if necessary. Hunters bring traps, pets, and the ability to bring down casters very rapidly from a significant distance (how big are the Arenas going to be, anyway?) Mages can bring down most people pretty quickly from a distance, and they offer the best anti-player CC in the game. Warlocks bring curses and DOTs to the table, with special abilities depending on the pet being used (Big Blue to increase the Warlock's survival, Succubus for CC, Felhunter for anti-caster duties, Imp to provide an HP boost to the party, and possibly Infernals or even Felguards for short-term mayhem.) An additional Warrior could bring an MS debuff into play without forcing the previous Warrior to respec for it. Druids would bring effective healing and an additional buff into play, and can spec for either magical DPS (Oomkin) or physical DPS (fluffy kitty.) Hell, even a Retrinoob brings useful things to the party, offering a little extra healing, an aura that buffs Holy damage (whee Holy Smite!), and some significant Holy damage along with a little bit of physical; they can still dispel, too:)

One CC/utility class. Probably either a Warlock or Mage, though I'd prefer a Warlock. Warlocks offer a little more utility than Mages (Healthstones, Curses, pets), though they lack the crazy-good CC of Sheeping.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
That setup looks rather solid, though with current gear/gameplay it seems like you're relying highly on utility and survivability rather than the ability to quickly annihilate your opponents via targetted, massive DPS. I personally believe utility's flexibility makes it more viable in the long run, but even as a prot warrior, I've been brought down absurdly quickly by a little focus fire, so I'm beginning to think that's the way to go.

That said, I've played with the ultimate PvE party, and we're thinking of PvPing together in the expansion. Here's what we've got:

Grakthul (me): Protection Warrior - Well, as one of the other prot warriors out there, I'm sure you know what this spec brings to the table. We lack a stunlock rogue, and I'm working at making up for that. Jagged Obsidian Shard procs add to that.

Cumberbuns: Discipline Priest - Rather than going purely for a survivable healer build, he'd got a trick laden raid healer discapline spec. He's picking up pain supression, and with his already established belief that priest surivability is important PvE and PvP (And the fact I can't seem to damage him in duels), we have our first healer.

Ahmitan: Restoration Shaman - Ahm might not be joining us - he's on hiatus for now. That said, i hope he does... earth shield, a quick NS heal, healing wave... he brings survivable healing to the table. Oh, and frost shock. And earth shock. Provided we get to a secure position, Windfury is huge for me, and Manatide is a real boon for all the casters.

Daegor: Some sort of mage - Daegor's changed his spec a lot of times, but he's reliable in anyy setup. For PvP, Arcane/Frost (his current spec) would probably be best, but he claims he likes fire best, so he may spec back to that. Either way, this is part one of the damage of this group, as well as a polymorph.

Garai: Affliction Warlock - At least, I think he's affliction. He's seduced a warrior mid charge before, and kept another one Feared, so I'm not worried about having him working CC. Even with fear nerfed to hell, he can still DoT people down.

That's the setup we had leveling together (though replace the Shaman with a Druid that ended up just staying in Cat form unless we did something stupid, like pull a boss 6 levels above us), so we're used to working it - we found it a little high on the survivability and a little low on DPS, but with the advantage of lacking any real weaknesses.
Men fear death, as children fear to go in the dark; and as that natural fear in children, is increased with tales, so is the other.

"Of Death" Sir Francis Bacon
Assume many decent Alliance teams will be pre-buffing Fear Ward against you (Draenai and Dwarf Priest racial)

Quote:Fear Ward
100 Mana 30 yd range
Instant cast 30 sec cooldown
Wards the friendly target against Fear. The next Fear effect used against the target will fail, using up the ward. Lasts 10 min.

Relying on a Priest and Lock as part of your Horde team may be sub-optimal. I know my Priest dies super-fast when mobbed if fear doesn't save me

I've found a Druid very strong in arena matches. You stealth, they pick someone to focus, you suddenly burst heal that guy so much that 4 of them cant kill him, they dither whether to keep dpsing the focussed target or switch to you, game over. There's a lot to be said for a healer who can stealth

I'm of the view that to a large extent 5 very good players with anything > 5 not quite so good players. As long as you have some healing and some CC and play well you'll do really well

We did a series of 5 v 5 team fights at the STV arena not so long ago and the winning team had 2 resto shammies. They built a totem castle and waited. The other team looked at the totem castle and thought "well it's obviously foolish to go over there and fight on their totems". After a brief stand-off some muppet would attack one of the shammies and suck the rest of his team into a fight, the shammies' team wining every match, several without loss

Thinking about it afterwards what I liked about the tactic was that it divided the opponents. Any opposing team is going to be split between the guys thinking "go for it" and the guys thinking "arrggh, don't fight them at their totems, it's stupid". Teams would have done a lot better if they'd all thought "go for it", even though it concedes a tactical advantage
Seems like a really solid team.

As for fear ward, I can't imagine a solid PvP shaman who doesn't spam the heck out of purge, basically neutralising the ward.

I also wouldn't discount rogues for the DPS spot. Admittedly they have the disadvantage of being melee DPS, however stuns, crippling poison and kick are really nice to have around. (I probably say this because I really enjoy PvPing with a rogue buddy. It's always fun.:))

In the end I think it's all going to come down to each player understanding their role in the group, and working from there. As long as you've got some hurt, some health and some heals I think any team is going to do alright if they meld together well.:)
I hate flags

"Then Honor System came out and I had b*$@& tattoo'd on my forehead and a "kick me" sign taped to my back." - Tiku

Stormscale: Treglies, UD Mage; Treggles, 49 Orc Shaman; Tregor, semi-un-retired Druid.

Terenas (all retired): 60 Druid; 60 Shaman. (Not very creative with my character selection, am I?!Wink
Quote:Thinking about it afterwards what I liked about the tactic was that it divided the opponents. Any opposing team is going to be split between the guys thinking "go for it" and the guys thinking "arrggh, don't fight them at their totems, it's stupid". Teams would have done a lot better if they'd all thought "go for it", even though it concedes a tactical advantage

Yeah, I leveled up with a Feral Druid buddy a while back; they could either target me, the plateboy with a shield, or him. If they went after me, he'd just heal me. If they went after him, he'd either beartank them while we both beat them mercilessly, or he'd kite them with cheetah form while I tore them up from behind:)

Paladin-Druid would probably be pretty nasty for the 2v2 brackets.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
I honestly feel that the most dominant force in the Arena 5v5 would be 2 Paladins and 3 Warlocks
i feel that this could not be beaten if the paladin's and warlocks had the gear to back it up.