The Departed
Granted, it's a gangster film and a cop film all rolled into one. It is Scorcese, and it's in Boston about the Irish underground, so there is a bit of a formula to the premise, but this film is extremely good.

The dialogue is crisp. Plenty of laughs. More a guy film than a chick film. (Yay) A few plot twists, a couple of suspensions of disbelief that didn't quite hold, but didn't bother me. (Cell phones, not gonna post a spoiler)

Timing, production, cinematography, and The Cast.

Jack Nicholson - aced it
Leonardo DiCaprio (finally does something worth a crap) - aced it
Matt Damon - aced it, if a little stiff
Martin Sheen -- aced it
Mark Wahlberg -- aced it
Alec Baldwin -- a little soft on credibility, but some of that is the writing

A few other names and faces who looked familiar.

Don't miss it.

My only complaint was 2.5 hours, falling into the Godfather trap of movies that are "too damned long."

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Quote:My only complaint was 2.5 hours, falling into the Godfather trap of movies that are "too damned long."
If the entire movie is good then there is no such thing as "too long".
Hugs are good, but smashing is better! - Clarence<!--sizec--><!--/sizec-->
I highly recommend The Departed as well, great movie.

Basically a remake of the original Hong Kong's version Infernal Affairs (2002). Love the Hong Kong version, love this American version as well, even though I already know the story line. :rolleyes:
- SoulEdge -
"*burp* too many pots, I need to pee..."
Quote:If the entire movie is good then there is no such thing as "too long".

I guess that depends on if your at home watching the movie or not. Those theatre seats get a little uncomfortable after awhile, no matter how good they are or the movie is. I prefer watching movies at home anyways rather than theatres (I have a BIG T.V. and Bose surround sound system) - popcorn and soda at a fraction of the price, not to mention the $3.00 cost of a rental for my entire family as opposed to $8.50 per person a la theatre.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Quote:Granted, it's a gangster film and a cop film all rolled into one. It is Scorcese, and it's in Boston about the Irish underground, so there is a bit of a formula to the premise, but this film is extremely good.

I've been wanting to hear some word of mouth about this film. (Critics have just raved about it, but I've found their tastes suspect at times.) I had the opportunity to go see it a few weekends ago, but we ended up going to see "Man of the Year" instead. I needed a "Men in Black" memory eraser after that film.

-Lemmy
Quote:I've been wanting to hear some word of mouth about this film. (Critics have just raved about it, but I've found their tastes suspect at times.) I had the opportunity to go see it a few weekends ago, but we ended up going to see "Man of the Year" instead. I needed a "Men in Black" memory eraser after that film.

-Lemmy
You willfully walked into a Robin Williams comedy!? Neuralyzers only work on those with functional brains, right?;)
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Quote:You willfully walked into a Robin Williams comedy!? Neuralyzers only work on those with functional brains, right?;)

You'd think "Patch Adams", "What Dreams May Come", and countless other flops would have completely jaded me. But I really enjoyed "Death to Smoochy", so I thought Williams was on an upswing. In hindsight, "Smoochy" being enjoyable was probably because Williams was in a supporting role (where he, quite frankly, rocks).

So, when I saw a movie with a synopsis that reads like "The Daily Show for President" and it stars Williams and Christopher Walken, you can't get closer to gold than that! Except that the film was marketed by Belial, Lord of Lies. The script wasn't "The Daily Show for President" but rather some maddening, horrendous abortion from Cthulhu's netheruterus.

Watching "Man of the Year" should be used as a trap in "Saw IV."

-Lemmy
Quote:So, when I saw a movie with a synopsis that reads like "The Daily Show for President" and it stars Williams and Christopher Walken, you can't get closer to gold than that! Except that the film was marketed by Belial, Lord of Lies. The script wasn't "The Daily Show for President" but rather some maddening, horrendous abortion from Cthulhu's netheruterus.

Watching "Man of the Year" should be used as a trap in "Saw IV."

Absolutely hilarious LemmingofGlory. I agree whole heartedly about Man of the Year.

Cheers,

Munk
The Departed was the best movie I have seen in a long time. I think I am going to have to stop thinking of Leo as nothing but a no-talent hack pretty boy from now on because, quite honestly, he blew me away. I was quite surprised by the way the movie ended too (well, not the *last* thing to happen - kinda saw that coming - but the few previous events which led to it were surprising).

Oh yeah, and Mark Wahlberg was awesome.
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
Quote:The Departed was the best movie I have seen in a long time. I think I am going to have to stop thinking of Leo as nothing but a no-talent hack pretty boy from now on because, quite honestly, he blew me away. I was quite surprised by the way the movie ended too (well, not the *last* thing to happen - kinda saw that coming - but the few previous events which led to it were surprising).

Oh yeah, and Mark Wahlberg was awesome.

Leo has actually been in a couple of good films. What's Eating Gilbert Grape, The Basketball Diaries, and a film I thought was sort of interesting, Gangs of New York.

Playing a mentally and physically retarded person in WEGG was probably his best work.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."