Here is a rant about leaves
When I bought my new house, the large trees on the property were a huge selling point for me. I like trees :)

Now it's fall and I'm not so sure. Last week I raked and bagged enough leaves to fill 6 large yard waste bags. This week I am up to 14 bags, but I still have my front lawn to do ... again:( There is easily another 6 bags to go [Image: argh.gif]

I do have a couple of fairly large compost bins, but they can't even begin to handle this amount of leaves. I can't burn them due to city bylaw. Fortunately, the city does yard waste pickup every few weeks.

The only good news for me is that my big maple trees are about 90% naked.

Now let us all rant and swear about raking up leaves.

[Image: argh.gif] is my new favourite emoticon, and should be added to the LL emoticon database right now. Look at how angry that guy is.
He looks as if he was making a furious masterbatory gesture. :blink:

My eyes aint so good these days.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Quote:He looks as if he was making a furious masterbatory gesture. :blink:

He is red-faced and angrily shaking his fist at the world [Image: argh.gif]

What do you do with leaves, Doc?
Same thing I do with kudzu.

I drag out the old hand pumped army surplus flamethrower and have at them.

Or I just leave them on the ground. I have hundreds, maybe thousands of trees. I really don't have a "lawn" per say. I never mow anything. Animals do that.

Leaves compost on the ground, and somehow someday turn in to part of the soil. The wind blows them. Nature does whatever it will.

I just make sure the driveway stays clear.

My wife does silly things like rake them in to piles and jumps in to them.

A couple of days ago I was watching a fainting goat who was watching a leaf fall. The breeze caused the leaf to fall slowly, kinda going around in a lazy spiral. And the goat had her little head cocked and she watched it with the most curious expression. The leaf came down and touched her nose. Tail went up, legs went stiff, and she fainted. Fell over flat on her side, out cold.

Took me damn near a full hour to compose my self and get back to normal.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Quote:My wife does silly things like rake them in to piles and jumps in to them.

I do this for my son. He loves jumping in a big ol' leafpile :)

Quote:A couple of days ago I was watching a fainting goat who was watching a leaf fall. The breeze caused the leaf to fall slowly, kinda going around in a lazy spiral. And the goat had her little head cocked and she watched it with the most curious expression. The leaf came down and touched her nose. Tail went up, legs went stiff, and she fainted. Fell over flat on her side, out cold.

Took me damn near a full hour to compose my self and get back to normal.

Fainting goats make me giggle like a little girl.
Quote:Fainting goats make me giggle like a little girl.
Ye gods, that can't be a good survival trait.
Hugs are good, but smashing is better! - Clarence<!--sizec--><!--/sizec-->
Dominating the front lawn of my home is a massive cherry blossom tree. When we acquired it, it was barely a sapling; it used to live down the car park in the town centre, and as they were uprooting trees to make for a block of toilets my parents picked it up, and were informed that it wouldn't grow to much beyond three meters.

It now stands taller than our two-story house ¬_¬

Now, the worse thing about cherry blossom trees is that you get it at both ends of the year. Naturally, throughout autumn and winter all the leaves fall off and we have to rake them up. However, for a brief moment in the spring the entire thing erupts in pink blossoms and looks quite pretty, right up until the first lot falls off and we have to scoop them up, a task made even more difficult when you remember that our springs tend to be quite wet, and blossom petals are much more difficult to gather up than leaves while wet.

Every year I and my father claim we're going to prune that tree at the trunk. Quarter of the time we're actually joking.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
My yard:
The deer fertilize the lawn.
The armadillos aerate the soil.
The leaves provide mulch.
I never water.
I do have to mow now and then.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQtmlWbJ-1vgb3aJmW4DJ7...NntmKgW8Cp]
Back home my house is surrounded by woods, including some nice big trees on our property. We use a combination to get rid of them each year - a leaf blower and a john deere lawn mower. A nice high powered leaf blower not only does the trick but is fun to use! But be aware if you ever go the leaf blower route there are good ones and there are weak ones. The weakones won't move a damn thing unless you're within milimeters of the leaf. The strong ones make you're life infinitely better.

The lawnmower's just there to suck up and bag the remaining leaves - though it'd be easy to rake the remaining leaves after a pass with a leafblower.

Cheers,

Munk
Burning them is good for the ground, for some reason or another. Ash has a different chemical makeup and it makes the soil very fertile.

And DeeBye, now you see why I have fainting goats. I am a creature that is easily amused. My wife loves scaring them. I like walking in to the middle of the flock and letting a loud fart rip. If I do it right, a bunch of goats fall over as if they died.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
That's why you should come over here to western Canada, DeeBye.

Fewer leaves, more pine needles.
Quote:Burning them is good for the ground, for some reason or another. Ash has a different chemical makeup and it makes the soil very fertile.

And DeeBye, now you see why I have fainting goats. I am a creature that is easily amused. My wife loves scaring them. I like walking in to the middle of the flock and letting a loud fart rip. If I do it right, a bunch of goats fall over as if they died.
Just when you thought you had seen everything...
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Quote:Now let us all rant and swear about raking up leaves.
[

Why? Leaves did never do anything bad to me.
Quote:Why? Leaves did never do anything bad to me.
Maybe not yet, but give them a couple of hours and they'll certainly do something to your lower back :P

Cheers,

Munk
Quote:And DeeBye, now you see why I have fainting goats. I am a creature that is easily amused. My wife loves scaring them. I like walking in to the middle of the flock and letting a loud fart rip. If I do it right, a bunch of goats fall over as if they died.

I think I will have to get goats when I purchase my own home. How can a human resist doing that at least once in their life?
Final leaf bag tally - 24 [Image: argh.gif]

That doesn't include the 6 bags I previously filled. Now my trees are completely bare, and I'm also looking for a new way to dispose of the leaves next fall.

edit: [Image: argh.gif]
DeeBye, just leaf them alone. Leaves them be. They cut in to posting time at the lounge.

You could be doing more important things. Like, fingerpainting. Watching old cartoons. Playing on the computer. Impregnating your wife.

When frost is on the pumpkin it's time for peter dunkin.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Quote:DeeBye, just leaf them alone. Leaves them be. They cut in to posting time at the lounge.

You could be doing more important things. Like, fingerpainting. Watching old cartoons. Playing on the computer. Impregnating your wife.

When frost is on the pumpkin it's time for peter dunkin.
That's right. I like your philosophy Doc. I need more goats. They eat the leaves as well as the grass.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Quote:That's right. I like your philosophy Doc. I need more goats. They eat the leaves as well as the grass.

My philosophy in life is simple. Why put forth effort dealing with things that nature can take care of for you? Grass is a good example. Don't buy expensive polluting lawn mowers that only hurt the earth. Do not buy harmful fertilisers that only hurt both the land and the water. Just buy some goats. The lawn stays trimmed and fertilised. In return, you can get an endless supply of milk, butter, and cheese. (Well, if you have the right kinds of goats) Or, if you are so inclined, you can eat the goats too. I can't eat my goats. I do not feel right eating somebody that I have had conversations with. They make for good company, will follow you around loyally, almost like a dog, and they are sweet compassionate animals.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Quote:My philosophy in life is simple. Why put forth effort dealing with things that nature can take care of for you? Grass is a good example. Don't buy expensive polluting lawn mowers that only hurt the earth. Do not buy harmful fertilisers that only hurt both the land and the water. Just buy some goats. The lawn stays trimmed and fertilised. In return, you can get an endless supply of milk, butter, and cheese. (Well, if you have the right kinds of goats) Or, if you are so inclined, you can eat the goats too. I can't eat my goats. I do not feel right eating somebody that I have had conversations with. They make for good company, will follow you around loyally, almost like a dog, and they are sweet compassionate animals.
Heh, I was a farm boy, and we raised beef cows. My mother and sisters insisted on naming them, so I would try to keep their perspectives by naming them realistically. My favorite steers name was "Tender"... and he was, and then there was kabob, guts, bullion, and many others.