Internet Explorer 7 available for download
Quote:DeeBye, thanks for reminding me of the future auto-update problem. Does the new IE take up any more memory than ie. 6? Currently I have a older computer running for my mothers use. It's already slow as molases, and would like to keep it from getting anymore bogged down.

I don't know what IE 6 used in terms of memory for me, but IE 7 is using 48MB with 3 tabs open. It uses 35MB with a single tab open. Firefox is using 36MB with 2 tabs open for comparison.
Quote:I second that Doc. Realplayer hasn't been on my computer since I upgraded from Win 2k to Win Xp. I remember it being possibly one of the worst programs (this of course has been eclipsed by a miriad of other programs since).

DeeBye, thanks for reminding me of the future auto-update problem. Does the new IE take up any more memory than ie. 6? Currently I have a older computer running for my mothers use. It's already slow as molases, and would like to keep it from getting anymore bogged down.

Cheers,

Munk

Problem is, even though Real Time in Quick Time is a thousand times more stable, .rm files are the cause of instability. My god those things suck.

Once I looked at my system resources because an .rm file playing in QT was making everything bog down. Damn thing was using almost a half gig of memory and growing. I killed QT and the system recovered nicely.

I LOATHE pages that autoload some real player file. Is there even a point any more with embedded flash players like youtube?

Since I started using nothing but mostly open source stuff with OSX Tiger, all of my instability problems have pretty much gone away. Firefox, Camino, various open source bits of this and that, and text edit is just about the best word processor ever and it comes free with OSX.

At times, I am a very busy man. And I require that stuff just works. And I must depend on that stuff to keep working and maintain my data with no losses. I don't need any headaches, or unexpected stuff coming up, or security problems, or whatever. Don't need malware or some random virus disrupting me.

I have only recently made the move from OS9 to OSX, now that OSX has finally matured. And it is bulletproof.

Reliability takes a lot of the stress out of my life...
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Quote:I for one hail our new Microsoft overlords.

Microsoft overlords? I don't bother with that anymore. I bow to Linus Torvalds!

WWBBD?
Quote:Internet Explorer 7 can be removed via the Add/Remove Programs utility in the control panel.

Pfft, that's what you think. I know people who have had problems removing Windows-y crap for years. If Windows thinks it must be there to work, odds are it's staying on your machine.

Gonna wave the Redhat flag again, though sometimes there are issues with support programs (No DirectX yet...frown). I hear OSX is pretty sexy as well, though.

--me
Quote:I don't know what IE 6 used in terms of memory for me, but IE 7 is using 48MB with 3 tabs open. It uses 35MB with a single tab open. Firefox is using 36MB with 2 tabs open for comparison.

Thanks for the numbers DeeBye. I'll have to do a comparison between IE 6 and Firefox on her computer. If IE 7 turns out to be more of a memory hog, I can always drop in Firefox.

Cheers,

Munk
Quote:I LOATHE pages that autoload some real player file. Is there even a point any more with embedded flash players like youtube?

I'll be surprised if Realplayer and it's files survive in the future. Of course they'll always be around, but I do believe its going to be marginal. Imbedded flash players (a la Youtube) are incredibly popular now. And for streaming video, Windows Media Player and Quicktime have made themselves the two top dogs.

I for one, am pleased by this.

Cheers,

Munk
Quote:I'll be surprised if Realplayer and it's files survive in the future. Of course they'll always be around, but I do believe its going to be marginal. Imbedded flash players (a la Youtube) are incredibly popular now. And for streaming video, Windows Media Player and Quicktime have made themselves the two top dogs.

I for one, am pleased by this.

Cheers,

Munk

And both Quick Time and WMP both have some issues. Like stuttering. Flash players are as smooth as silk, at least for me. Non streaming QT, like on a web page that takes time to load, is very very nice looking. QT can produce DVD quality movies over the web.

And soon, none of this will matter. They'll be beaming content directly in to the brain, including advertisements of all kinds, especially while we sleep.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
From our local Multiple Listing Service:

Quote: (Posted 10/19/06) Hold off on Upgrading to Microsoft Internet Explorer 7.0: Microsoft has made Internet Explorer 7.0 available for general release. At this point MIBOR does NOT recommending upgrading to Internet Explorer 7.0 due to issues with proper page breaks when printing the Full Agent Photo and Full Customer Photo Reports. Please be aware that Microsoft plans to make Explorer 7.0 available in automatic update on November 1. If this problem is not corrected by then we would recommend that you answer the upgrade to Explorer 7.0 question with: “UPGRADE LATER” rather then “yes” or “never”. Our system vendor, First American MLS Solutions, is working hard to resolve this issue but until the final release was available they were not able to fully test for this type of problem.
"Nothing unreal exists."
-- Kiri-kin-tha
Quote:From our local Multiple Listing Service:

November 1st eh? Thanks for the heads up ZatarRufus.

Cheers,

Munk
I love Firefox too much to change.
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
Quote:I love Firefox too much to change.

Her her! Firefox and thunderbird are the ONLY applications I use on my computer. The ONLY reason I still have IE installed is to get automatic updates to XP and MS Office 2002. I already uninstalled Media Player. I prefer Winamp.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Quote:Her her! Firefox and thunderbird are the ONLY applications I use on my computer. The ONLY reason I still have IE installed is to get automatic updates to XP and MS Office 2002. I already uninstalled Media Player. I prefer Winamp.

I like the way Winamp looks compared to the other media players I've used. However, I adore the Windows Media Player library.
Quote:From our local Multiple Listing Service:
Quote:Our system vendor, First American MLS Solutions, is working hard to resolve this issue but until the final release was available they were not able to fully test for this type of problem.

Uh huh. We've been testing compatibility with IE7 ever since beta1 came out months ago. Granted, Microsoft might have changed something at the last minute, but this problem seems rather suspicious. I suspect that they did not test with the release candidate or beta releases, or were relying on some IE6 quirk that they hoped would persist into IE7 (like the information disclosure vulnerability that did persist into IE7 despite being reported in IE6 months ago:)).