New Hardware Problems
Ok, so I've been crashing while playing WoW, and this time getting the Blue Screen of Death. The error code is this:

Stop: 0x0000009C (0x00000004, 0x80545FF0, 0xB2000000, 0x00070F0F)

Edit: Just tested both of my sticks, no problem there it seems. I pulled off my vid card, noting that it had been pushed a bit in when I screwed it down, so perhaps thats a simple fix. We'll see with some more testing, but any feedback would be appreciated.
"You can build a perfect machine out of imperfect parts."
-Urza

He's an old-fashioned Amish cyborg with no name. She's a virginal nymphomaniac fairy princess married to the Mob. Together, they fight crime!

The Blizzcon Class Discussion:
Crowd: "Our qq's will blot out the sun"
Warlocks: "Then we will pewpew in the shade"
Hmm, common culprits look to be overclocking, bad memory (which you checked), and either dirty power or lack of power, besides other less common culprits.

Power would be my first guess. And, yes, I've seen PSU, power strip, and just straight power all be culprits.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Quote:Hmm, common culprits look to be overclocking, bad memory (which you checked), and either dirty power or lack of power, besides other less common culprits.

Power would be my first guess. And, yes, I've seen PSU, power strip, and just straight power all be culprits.

Hmm... the power supply you think? I'm running a 600w dual-fan cooled supply now, couldnt imagine how I'd test that out as well. For right now I'm going to bring back the wireless antenna I picked up and replace it, since the problems started when that was installed. From there... we'll see what happens.
-Urza

He's an old-fashioned Amish cyborg with no name. She's a virginal nymphomaniac fairy princess married to the Mob. Together, they fight crime!

Quote:Hmm... the power supply you think? I'm running a 600w dual-fan cooled supply now, couldnt imagine how I'd test that out as well. For right now I'm going to bring back the wireless antenna I picked up and replace it, since the problems started when that was installed. From there... we'll see what happens.

Well, not necesarilly the supply. At least not at first. I bought a great power supply for the computer I built at school. Too bad the incoming power was dirty, it actually managed to trash the power supply just enough so that it wasn't capable of putting enough power out when my video card went into full power. Poor (expensive) thing became a useless brick because the power fluctuations at school abused it to death.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Ok, well I noticed that my power supply was set to the wrong wattage, but even after changing that *and* re-applying thermal grease to my processor I still get the same problems whenever I play WoW or watch videos, so I am thinking its actually a problem with the Vid card. next thing I do will be bring back the damn thing and try out a replacement. If that dosent work... I dunno what will
-Urza

Quote:Well, not necesarilly the supply. At least not at first. I bought a great power supply for the computer I built at school. Too bad the incoming power was dirty, it actually managed to trash the power supply just enough so that it wasn't capable of putting enough power out when my video card went into full power. Poor (expensive) thing became a useless brick because the power fluctuations at school abused it to death.

What was the source of the dirty power Quark?

I ask because a few friends in Boston are having some trouble with a questionable power source - eletronic devices are going kablewy far before their time. Can older wiring in a building be a source? Or is it generally just from the energy provider itself?

I understand many things fall under the title 'dirty power', including power spikes, over/under loaded juice, noise, etc. And I know the power provider will always be the source of a few power spikes, but I feel as if it couldn't be the power company itself.

Anyone else have some insight?

Cheers,

Munk

Ps. Please pardon the tangent.
Hi,

Quote:Anyone else have some insight?
It depends a lot on your environment. Some of the problems are from the power company, or rather, from the power distribution grid. Most of those are from the inability of the grid to supply enough power at certain times.

At home, the usual culprits are electronics on the same circuit as induction loads (e.g., washers, driers, refrigerators, garage door openers, air conditioners, etc.) When these things turn off they generate spikes and when they turn on they pull down the line voltage. Find your fuse/breaker box and determine what each circuit supplies and try to put your electronics on 'clean' circuits.

In an industrial/commercial environment, your neighbors can have a big influence quality on your power. Big motors, especially if older and not well maintained, can put a lot of noise on your lines. And what I said about induction loads at home goes even more for the commercial loads.

About the best way to clean up power is to use a UPS that is line interactive (or an equivalent newer technology). A well designed unit pretty well isolates the load (computer or whatever) from the line, and can handle over/under voltage as well as most spikes. And the prices have come way down from what they were just ten years ago.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

What, you mean the power grid in the Boston area isn't up to snuff? I thought old was better;)

Thanks for the post Pete. I'll pass the information along, and hopefully the dirty power problem can be minimized. There are at least a few electronic devices rejoicing at this news,

Cheers,

Munk