Were to get SP2 for Windows XP
I will reinstall my old computer from scratch, including reinstalling windows XP. Now, the version of Windows XP I will put on it is an original one with no SP bundled. Considering all problems it seems that it might be a problem simply using it unpatched at all to, for example, connect to the net to update Windows automatically (true?). Having done so in thepast (befre SP2 at least) but also updating one that DID come with SP2, includes a whole bunch of pre updates of the updater and all sort of things as well that always takes lots of time. Is there some more simple way of simply downloading the SP2 to put on a hard drive and then patch Windows off line?

In addition, it would be good to have such an update handy if I ever need to reinstall, for example my mothers computer (no idea why I would, but anyway) or some other computer were there is only a modem, since the simple downloading itself otherwise takes hours upon hours upon hours. Last time I resorted to take the whole computer home to me with broadband to speed it up.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
There was a thread on this board somewhere detailing how to "slipstream" a XP install CD with the latest service pack and any crucial updates since.

I tried it myself once during a work placement, but it didn't work exactly as planned (probably because I was using an OEM CD rather than a retail one.

*Kicks the forum search in the hurrythehellup*

*Watches forum search keel over as if shurikened:shuriken:*

Bah. I'm sure it was Deebye that explained how to do it though.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Slipstream guide (very handy for reinstalls):
http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm

Just straight download (required if you slipstream anyway):
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Quote:Slipstream guide (very handy for reinstalls):
http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm

Just straight download (required if you slipstream anyway):
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...&displaylang=en

Thanks!!

EDIT: If I understand the slipstream guide, what it basically do is that it updates the installation files so that the actual install CD will be patch. Right? That measn that the actual installation will then allready have the SP2 built in so to speak and I don't need to run the SP2 after the normal installation, right?
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
That's it basically. It will install the same version of Windows on your system had you just ran your initial install, then SP2, then ran Windows Update; all in one step.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Quote:There was a thread on this board somewhere detailing how to "slipstream" a XP install CD with the latest service pack and any crucial updates since.

I tried it myself once during a work placement, but it didn't work exactly as planned (probably because I was using an OEM CD rather than a retail one.

*Kicks the forum search in the hurrythehellup*

*Watches forum search keel over as if shurikened:shuriken:*

Bah. I'm sure it was Deebye that explained how to do it though.

That was indeed me, and it worked absoutely flawlessly. I used an OEM CD too, so you borked something. I don't think I explained how to do it, other than following a Google link to "slipstream windows xp service pack 2". I like this thread because of the bonus money shot.

http://www.lurkerlounge.com/forums/index...topic=7008

[Image: bling5ne.jpg]
Just wanted to thank everyone for the help. It has worked perfectly!!!
To avoid creating threads en masse, I have another question related to updating Windows. This time about my new computer. It came with SP2 installed PLUS every single update possible and in existance from Microsoft up until the day of delivery. This included both the new Media player (version 9) and the .Net framework. My question is, is it possible (should I want to) to downgrade to version 8? IS there any reason to do so? SImilary for the .Net framework, does it in any way affect the computer and Windows except for existing on it? Can one uninstall it? Sure, one can live with them, on the other hand I basically use non at all and I have never run into problems NOT installing the .Net framework on my old computer and I was quite happy with MP version 8 the few times I used it. Any input? Is there any other "update" Microsoft had pushed out that are of questionable use, install unwated features (or removes any)? I recall having skiped more than those two updates on my old computer. I really don't fancy reinstalling Windows on this new computer.
Quote:To avoid creating threads en masse, I have another question related to updating Windows. This time about my new computer. It came with SP2 installed PLUS every single update possible and in existance from Microsoft up until the day of delivery. This included both the new Media player (version 9) and the .Net framework. My question is, is it possible (should I want to) to downgrade to version 8? IS there any reason to do so? SImilary for the .Net framework, does it in any way affect the computer and Windows except for existing on it? Can one uninstall it? Sure, one can live with them, on the other hand I basically use non at all and I have never run into problems NOT installing the .Net framework on my old computer and I was quite happy with MP version 8 the few times I used it. Any input? Is there any other "update" Microsoft had pushed out that are of questionable use, install unwated features (or removes any)? I recall having skiped more than those two updates on my old computer. I really don't fancy reinstalling Windows on this new computer.
I don't experience any unwanted issues with the latest .Net and MP version.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Quote:I don't experience any unwanted issues with the latest .Net and MP version.

One thing I have noted is that several of the movie clips I have tend to be very dark now. I am currently only using codecs that appearantly came with Windows/MP. On my old computer I had insalled all sort of other codec to play various formats that older versions of MP appearanlty could not handle. Can that be the reason? Should I go hunt for other codecs than those provided by Microsoft?

Or even better, what is a good, simple, yet efficient video player that one can download form the net (fee versions) or even buy if not that expensive as an alternative to MP? It should mainly be for movies but if it handle music as well, fine, then I can skip a seperate music player.
Quote:Or even better, what is a good, simple, yet efficient video player that one can download form the net (fee versions) or even buy if not that expensive as an alternative to MP? It should mainly be for movies but if it handle music as well, fine, then I can skip a seperate music player.

You want VLC. It's an open source media player. It's the only thing I use to watch movies. The cool thing about VLC is that it uses its own built-in codecs, so you never have to worry about downloading them.

VLC also does other cool things like play media directly from RARs or ISOs without having to extract, mount, or burn them first. It's got more features than any other media player I've ever seen, but it's also incredibly easy to use.
Quote:You want VLC. It's an open source media player. It's the only thing I use to watch movies. The cool thing about VLC is that it uses its own built-in codecs, so you never have to worry about downloading them.

VLC also does other cool things like play media directly from RARs or ISOs without having to extract, mount, or burn them first. It's got more features than any other media player I've ever seen, but it's also incredibly easy to use.

Thanks, looks good. However, seems videos still tend to look very dark. Starting to wonder if it is some setting with my drivers or monitor.

EDIT: Seemed it was some settings with "overlay" in the driver settings. The one in the controll panle simply was lagged like mad, but managed to get it restored to "normal" when I got the settings back to the old style. No idea what the overlay is or if it should be desiabled or what. Oh well, at least it is back to normal brightness now.
Quote:Thanks, looks good. However, seems videos still tend to look very dark. Starting to wonder if it is some setting with my drivers or monitor.

EDIT: Seemed it was some settings with "overlay" in the driver settings. The one in the controll panle simply was lagged like mad, but managed to get it restored to "normal" when I got the settings back to the old style. No idea what the overlay is or if it should be desiabled or what. Oh well, at least it is back to normal brightness now.

Video overlay is a feature of video cards that allows you to adjust video settings like brightness, contrast, gamma, etc. directly through the driver software. They take effect when playing movie clips.

Go ahead and disable overlay if you'd like. I only made use of it when I had an old CRT monitor that had an overly-dark image. Bumping up the brightness of the monitor wouldn't allow me to watch video clips, but using overlay did wonders.
Quote:Video overlay is a feature of video cards that allows you to adjust video settings like brightness, contrast, gamma, etc. directly through the driver software. They take effect when playing movie clips.

Go ahead and disable overlay if you'd like. I only made use of it when I had an old CRT monitor that had an overly-dark image. Bumping up the brightness of the monitor wouldn't allow me to watch video clips, but using overlay did wonders.

That would be great if I can just find WHERE to turn it off, have not found that setting anywere:(
Quote:That would be great if I can just find WHERE to turn it off, have not found that setting anywere:(
My video card is a much older nVidia chip as well so I am assuming you have the same control location as mine.

Right click in an open area on your desktop. Choose properties. Choose the settings tab. Click the advanced button. There should be a tab there for your video card. Select it. This brings up a tab for the hardware with a selection tree to the side where I expand the tree item for my card. I then expand the tree for Performance & Quality Settings. I then select Overlay Controls. On the bottom of that tab, below the overlay controls, I have a small checkbox that is labeled "Disable hardware overlay". Is that what you are looking for?
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Quote:My video card is a much older nVidia chip as well so I am assuming you have the same control location as mine.

Right click in an open area on your desktop. Choose properties. Choose the settings tab. Click the advanced button. There should be a tab there for your video card. Select it. This brings up a tab for the hardware with a selection tree to the side where I expand the tree item for my card. I then expand the tree for Performance & Quality Settings. I then select Overlay Controls. On the bottom of that tab, below the overlay controls, I have a small checkbox that is labeled "Disable hardware overlay". Is that what you are looking for?

I think I have later version of the driver. Under the "Performance and Quality settings", I have nothing related to "Overlay" only "Application profiles" and "Global driver settings", none having anything about Overlays. I have a seperate entry for Vidoe Overlay Settings, but can't turn it off there.

EDIT: I finally found some information on the nVidia forums. Seems there is some problems with the latest driver (91.47 at least) whichis what I use. Seems the problems appear if one use the new control panel settings. It will lag and also adjust the overlay settings so that some video playing will be very dark. Appearantly one can "fix" it by using the old control type (in the settings from the desktop) and also set the overlay options to default. never read them multip page thread to the end, but at least that fixes things for me. Thanks to all of you for the help though.