Looming PC build
Greetings Lurkers!

Well, it`s been a while eh? Nice to see things haven`t exploded or anything, haha! Long story short, my last build never took place, so here I am now poised to begin at last. Still have a few things to line out, such as a motherboard, but here`s the list so far. An AMD Phenom II X3 720 BE, with 4GB of G Skill Ripjaw series DDR3 1333. An old EVGA 8800gt will be my graphics solution until I have the money for a pair of EVGA Nvidia 470`s for sli. I will be using an old Seagate Barracuda 80GB for windows 7 home with a Barracuda 1TB for storage. I will be sticking with my old Soundblaster Live 24bit audio card and fan speed controller. My new case will be a cooler master 620. That`s all I have for now, but I will most likely use an MSI mainboard and a 750w PSU. I have yet to pick out a new optical drive, but will most likely use an Asus dvd burner . Oh, I forgot! I will be using a Xigmatek Thor`s hammer CPU cooler:D. Well that`s it for now.

-Nomad
R.I.P. Pete! I can't believe you're gone. Sad
Quote:Greetings Lurkers!

Well, it`s been a while eh? Nice to see things haven`t exploded or anything, haha! Long story short, my last build never took place, so here I am now poised to begin at last. Still have a few things to line out, such as a motherboard, but here`s the list so far. An AMD Phenom II X3 720 BE, with 4GB of G Skill Ripjaw series DDR3 1333. An old EVGA 8800gt will be my graphics solution until I have the money for a pair of EVGA Nvidia 470`s for sli. I will be using an old Seagate Barracuda 80GB for windows 7 home with a Barracuda 1TB for storage. I will be sticking with my old Soundblaster Live 24bit audio card and fan speed controller. My new case will be a cooler master 620. That`s all I have for now, but I will most likely use an MSI mainboard and a 750w PSU. I have yet to pick out a new optical drive, but will most likely use an Asus dvd burner . Oh, I forgot! I will be using a Xigmatek Thor`s hammer CPU cooler:D. Well that`s it for now.

-Nomad
For Mobo; You can get the ASUS M3N-HT for just over $100 in the US now. But, if you are stuck on DDR3, then perhaps the M4N75TD which is also about 100$
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Quote:An old EVGA 8800gt will be my graphics solution until I have the money for a pair of EVGA Nvidia 470`s for sli.

Why do people do this? SLI is completely stupid unless you have money to burn and can buy a pair of the absolute latest and greatest cards every six months. I just checked newegg and you are looking at $700 worth of videocard, which will be outmatched by a single card for half the price within a year.

-Nomad
Hi, :)

Where do you live. Is this Wish & Have list correct ?

Quote:WISH LIST
AMD Phenom II X3 720 BE
G Skill Ripjaw 4Gb DDR3 1333
2x EVGA Nvidia 470
Cooler Master 620
MSI mainboard
PSU 750w
Asus dvd burner
-------------------------------
HAVE LIST
EVGA 8800gt
Soundblaster Live 24bit audio card
Seagate Barracuda 80GB for OS
Barracuda 1TB for storage
Xigmatek Thor`s hammer CPU cooler
Windows 7 home

He can do more for Others, Who has done most with Himself.
Greetings!

Quote:Why do people do this? SLI is completely stupid unless you have money to burn and can buy a pair of the absolute latest and greatest cards every six months. I just checked newegg and you are looking at $700 worth of videocard, which will be outmatched by a single card for half the price within a year.

You are correct sir! But, I will be using the 8800gt for quite a while. The dual 470`s will be purchased later down the road when prices have dropped a bit. Running two card`s together provides better performance than a single card, so by waiting and purchasing two of these I will have slightly better performance than said single card for the same price if not less. This machine will be fairly upgradeable over the next couple of years. As for motherboards, I cannot remember the model, but I saw a nice MSI board on newegg for $125 us. It has all I need and then some:). In fact, it has a combo deal that includes most everything I listed for a total of about $580 us!

-Nomad

Edit: That list is correct except for some items on the have list. I want a 1tb hdd, windows 7, and Thor`s Hammer. I chose Thor`s Hammer over a Cooler Master V8.

Your edit is in the wrong reply...I don't want your home address...where will you buy the hardware USA/CA/UK ???

Quote:Edit: That list is correct except for some items on the have list. I want a 1tb hdd, windows 7, and Thor`s Hammer. I chose Thor`s Hammer over a Cooler Master V8.

Greetings.

Quote:Hi, :)

Your edit is in the wrong reply...I don't want your home address...where will you buy the hardware USA/CA/UK ???

Erm, I edited my reply with a reply to you in order to avoid double posting. You posted while I was creating my post, hence the edit. And I am proud to say that I, sadly, live in Kentucky. It`s a good place, but a little lacking round abouts where I`m located. Ever realize that you are smarter than almost everyone around you? It`s kinda depressing and frustrating at the same time, just in case you`ve never had that feeling.

-Nomad
Hi,
Hardware you buy today is Obsolete Yesterday. Your wish list is about 9 months old and somewhat obsolete, the Case & Video card are no longer available @ Newegg & the CPU is now old. IF you are on a budget we will need a dollar figure to work with.

IMHO, IF your not going to buy in the next 60 days don't make a list, what is available today is Gone tomorrow :)IF you want to buy one part at a time that works IF you complete the build within a 3 month period. :)

FYG read this: EVERYTHING on this guide is subject to change. It is up to date as of March 11th, 2010.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/257075-3...-choosing-parts

My World of Warcraft build is 9 months old [June 20 2009], worked great from first boot :)

Quote:CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 550 BE...aka...> Phenom II X4 B50 with all 4 cores activated
I was able to activate the 2 locked cores in the BIOS :P

MoBo: GIGABYTE GA-MA790XT-UD4P AM3 DDR3 AMD 790X ATX

Mem: OCZ OCZ3P13334GK 4gb kit (2gb x 2) 1333mhz 7-7-7-20 240-pin DDR3

PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro OCZ700MXSP 700W ATX12V V2.2

VC: MSI N9800GT-T2D512-OC V2 GeForce 9800 GT 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail OC Edition overclocked to 660Mhz
$59.99 [not my first choice but the price was right]

HD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB OEM

DVDROM: Sony Optiarc Black 24X Rewritable Drive - OEM

CASE: Antec 900 [I spent more time choosing the case than all the above :P]

OS: Windows 7 home 64bit OEM [birthday gift to me Nov 30th, replaced my Win XP pro]

Greetings.

Quote:Hi,
Hardware you buy today is Obsolete Yesterday. Your wish list is about 9 months old and somewhat obsolete, the Case & Video card are no longer available @ Newegg & the CPU is now old. IF you are on a budget we will need a dollar figure to work with.

IMHO, IF your not going to buy in the next 60 days don't make a list, what is available today is Gone tomorrow :)IF you want to buy one part at a time that works IF you complete the build within a 3 month period. :)

I think you are confused. I currently have an AMD Athlon XP 3200, 1GB of Kingston Hyper X DDR 400, a Seagate Barracuda 80GB hdd, a BFG Tech Nvidia 7300GT agp card, a Soundblaster live 24bit, and a TT Volcano 12. I am getting the 8800GT pci-e from a friend who just upgraded. I am human so I make mistakes. I looked at several cases and perhaps confused the model. The case I will be getting in addition to all my parts, is on newegg. The case I refer to is the special edition Cooler Master Nvidia case. I am well aware of how old this hardware is, and am not worried in the slightest. I build all my own PC`s and know from experience how quickly things become outdated. This current rig has lasted far longer than any before it, but I have built several rigs for friends over the past couple of years. My budget for this budget build, is $1000 us. I failed to mention I will be getting a new keyboard, mouse , and monitor. All in all, I am on track for my budget thus far. For those curious, I will be getting a logitech g15 keyboard, a logitech 518 mouse, and a 22 or more inch lcd monitor of some sort. Cheers !

-Nomad
Quote:Why do people do this? SLI is completely stupid unless you have money to burn and can buy a pair of the absolute latest and greatest cards every six months. I just checked newegg and you are looking at $700 worth of videocard, which will be outmatched by a single card for half the price within a year.

Not true. Two lower priced cards in SLi/Crossfire can equal out to a higher single card. Case in point, two GeForce 9600s (GT variety) in SLi (priced between $70 and $85) will give you the same performance of a Radeon HD 5830 (priced around $250 to $260). It's bad to buy a new generation and SLi/Crossfire the cards as you are wasting money. But if you buy a generation or two back and SLi, you can typically match the performance of a similar single card solution for less money.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.

-Nomad

Why a pair of Fermis? The 470 is at the same price point as the HD 5870s and the 5870s are a better card.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Greetings!

Quote:Why a pair of Fermis? The 470 is at the same price point as the HD 5870s and the 5870s are a better card.

The choice was made simply for the fact that Ati doesn`t support Physx the last time I checked.

-Nomad
GTS250? 2 x $130?
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Quote:Not true. Two lower priced cards in SLi/Crossfire can equal out to a higher single card. Case in point, two GeForce 9600s (GT variety) in SLi (priced between $70 and $85) will give you the same performance of a Radeon HD 5830 (priced around $250 to $260). It's bad to buy a new generation and SLi/Crossfire the cards as you are wasting money. But if you buy a generation or two back and SLi, you can typically match the performance of a similar single card solution for less money.

You also have to factor in the increased price of the motherboard. Every time I've looked into upgrading a videocard I've never found a SLI setup that was worthwhile compared to a single card.

The last card I bought was a ATI 4890 for about $170 and it is equal to or better than the 5830 according to the benchmarks I've seen.

I suppose that every now and then you can find some sort of combo that might be cost-effective, but it certainly isn't going to happen if he plans on buying the 470s anytime soon.
Quote:You also have to factor in the increased price of the motherboard. Every time I've looked into upgrading a videocard I've never found a SLI setup that was worthwhile compared to a single card.

The last card I bought was a ATI 4890 for about $170 and it is equal to or better than the 5830 according to the benchmarks I've seen.

I suppose that every now and then you can find some sort of combo that might be cost-effective, but it certainly isn't going to happen if he plans on buying the 470s anytime soon.

Motherboards now you reallly have to look to find them without atleast two PCI x16 slots. Typically they also don't cost that much more either (I've seen a two PCI x16 slot MB made by Gigabyte that was only $10 more than a single PCI x16 motherboard made by Gigabyte with the same features).

So now, it doesn't make sense to not look for an SLi/Crossfire arrangement and go with two older generation cards (a generation or two back) and get the same effective performance for less price.

Quote:Greetings!
The choice was made simply for the fact that Ati doesn`t support Physx the last time I checked.

-Nomad

Physx and Havoc are overrated. There's no reason to offload these things to the video cards when CPUs aren't really being challenged in games (most of the bottleneck now in games is in the video card, not the CPU). So why tax the Video Card more when the CPU isn't even breaking a sweat in most cases?

Greetings!

Quote:Physx and Havoc are overrated. There's no reason to offload these things to the video cards when CPUs aren't really being challenged in games (most of the bottleneck now in games is in the video card, not the CPU). So why tax the Video Card more when the CPU isn't even breaking a sweat in most cases?

I know there is at least one game on the market (Batman Arkham Asylum) that cannot be fully experienced without Nvidia cards due to Phsyx. While the game may only have minor differences when played on an Ati card, there are details missing. I cannot recall exactly what the differences are, but I seem to remember cloth or other some such banners and some similar objects completely missing on Ati machines. As for eventually switching to a pair of 470`s, the Nvidia cards are supposed to be better than the Ati dx11 cards anyway. I seem to recall that the 470 is almost the equal of Ati`s greatest, while the 480 easily overtakes their flagship.

-Nomad
Hi,

Quote:I know there is at least one game on the market (Batman Arkham Asylum) that cannot be fully experienced without Nvidia cards due to Phsyx.
I think you and Lissa are talking at cross purposes. While there may be games that are written for Phsyx and are limited when played on a non-Phsyx system, that does not mean that Phsyx capability belongs on the video card. Personally, I do not know but I suspect Lissa is right. Today's games aren't all that much more complex than those of thirty years ago. The evolution of the complexity of the games has lagged way behind the power of the systems they are run on. What is, and has been, pushing the envelope is the graphics. So, if the bottleneck is the graphics, then adding to the video card's burden is a technological mistake (Lissa's point) although it can be a marketing advantage.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Greetings!

While I see the truth behind several statements on this topic, I must point out that the motherboard I will be using has several Pci-e slots. When the price is right on those Evga bad boys, I shall leave my 8800GT in the machine for the purpose of Physx. I will have my sli and my physx without putting undo strain on my graphics devices, perhaps my PSU but definately not my cards.

-Nomad