Great co-op games (on the same screen)
Hi team!

A friend of mine got his hands on a projector, and lately we've been spending some time playing a wide selection of Playstation titles (we finished Lord of the Rings - The Third Age just last week). Now we're looking for a new game to play, and we thought it'd be a great idea to find a game where both players can play simultaneously; a co-op game in other words.

Do you have any suggestions? It doesn't matter which platform it's on, we have access to the Playstation2, the Gamecube and the (original) X-box. We're also not limited by any particular genre, but we already have a bunch of racing games. (GT-series among others). We've also played Tekken5 to bits (which took us about 20 minutes...)
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Quote:Angel' date='Oct 7 2006, 03:12 PM' post='118611']
Hi team!

A friend of mine got his hands on a projector, and lately we've been spending some time playing a wide selection of Playstation titles (we finished Lord of the Rings - The Third Age just last week). Now we're looking for a new game to play, and we thought it'd be a great idea to find a game where both players can play simultaneously; a co-op game in other words.

Do you have any suggestions? It doesn't matter which platform it's on, we have access to the Playstation2, the Gamecube and the (original) X-box. We're also not limited by any particular genre, but we already have a bunch of racing games. (GT-series among others). We've also played Tekken5 to bits (which took us about 20 minutes...)

Halo 1 and 2 immediatly come to mind for Xbox. If your looking for "fun" games which aren't too intense, try Mario Party and Super Monkey Ball for the Game Cube. Fighting/driving/sports games are not all created equal, but I'm not a big fan of any of them, however to be fair they can be lots of fun with multiple parties involved. My personal favorites have got to be Mario Kart 64, Bomberman 64, Perfect Dark 64, Goldeneye 64, Banjo Tooie 64 (multiplayer), and Gauntlet 64. I hope these are all remade with improved graphics and sound for the Wii - I will bow to the Wii.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Quote:Halo 1 and 2 immediatly come to mind for Xbox. If your looking for "fun" games which aren't too intense, try Mario Party and Super Monkey Ball for the Game Cube. Fighting/driving/sports games are not all created equal, but I'm not a big fan of any of them, however to be fair they can be lots of fun with multiple parties involved. My personal favorites have got to be Mario Kart 64, Bomberman 64, Perfect Dark 64, Goldeneye 64, Banjo Tooie 64 (multiplayer), and Gauntlet 64. I hope these are all remade with improved graphics and sound for the Wii - I will bow to the Wii.

Golden Eye and the Banjo Kazooie/tooie games are Rare titles and will not be on the Wii. Niether will the old N64 titles be seen on the download service. Microsoft has all the Rare titles and the new Banjo and Golden Eye games will be on Xbox 360. Obviously Perfect Dark Zero is already out on the 360

Other interesting Co-op games for the Gamecube are Mario Kart (obviously), you both control the same cart with one person driving and the other person firing weapons and punching passing opponents. both players need to work in unison to perform speed boosts and power slides. While you can switch places in the kart at any time i find it easier to designate one person as the driver and the other as the attacker.

Tales of Symphonia is available on both the Gamecube and the PS2 (although i don't know if the PS2 version is 2 player compatable.) The Gamecube version 2 people can both control seperate characters during battles and i found it to be extremely enjoyable playing this way. if you are ok with letting one person take control when running around buying/talking etc.

Phatasy Star Online is also decent in the Action/RPG genre. you don't need to go online to team up with your friend as it offers a split screen option. this one can get pretty repetative though, and the split screen can be a bitch during particular boss fights. If you enjoyed the mindless item hunts seperated by occasional rough boss fights of Diablo and Diablo II, you might like this.

And lastly, Legend of Zelda: 4 Swords is totally awesome on GC. Downside is the Gameboy and attachment requirement.
Quote:Phantasy Star Online is also decent in the Action/RPG genre. you don't need to go online to team up with your friend as it offers a split screen option. this one can get pretty repetative though, and the split screen can be a bitch during particular boss fights. If you enjoyed the mindless item hunts seperated by occasional rough boss fights of Diablo and Diablo II, you might like this.

Quoted for agreement. Phantasy Star is a good Game Cube game in the vein of hack and slash RPG'ing. It does get repetitive after a short period of time though, and the game degrades into long item hunting/exp finding sessions.

The best part of the game becomes the boss battles. The bosses are incredibly difficult compared to the monsters in the areas leading up to them. But the battles are the highlight of the game, taking strategy into hand and a long fight - one boss I fought for 45 minutes before defeating them (I was very much under leveled at the time, it usually takes about 15 minutes).

Definitely worth checking out via rental, or in the cheap used bin at a local store.

Cheers,

Munk
LEGO Star Wars: The Video Game and LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy.

Go buy both NOW! Don't be fooled by the boxes, both games are great for any ages, either solo or cooperative, and you don't have to be a SW fan to enjoy them either. The only reason to avoid the games is if you absolutely detest both LEGO and Star Wars.
Hugs are good, but smashing is better! - Clarence<!--sizec--><!--/sizec-->
Quote: The only reason to avoid the games is if you absolutely detest both LEGO and Star Wars.

even then, i dont think that's a good reason.

The Baldur's Gate games for the playstation and xbox (as well as D&D:Heroes which uses the same engine) are all good coop hackfests.
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek
Ratchet: Deadlocked had some amazing multiplayer, both co-op and PvP (though the PvP is a LOT better online).

No one's mentioned Super Smash Brothers (either version) yet (unless my awesome skimming powers have failed me).

Burnout Revenge and Takedown are both good. Haven't played the earlier versions.

If you could give us a clue on genre, this would be easier--pretty much all sports games are multiplayer. Not sure about console RTS, but those on the PC (assuming you both have access and a network/the internet) are as well. First person shooters are usually multiplayer.

As far as multiplayer games go, the Gamecube is generally the place to look. I always think of it as the "multiplayer" console. There just weren't that many good solo games for it. I guess that doesn't necessarily transfer to good multiplayer, though.

Anyway, I highly recommend you just network some computers up and play some (non WoW) Blizzard games. Hard to beat the classics.

And lastly, I've found that as long as you're with the right person, even turn-taking can escalate video game enjoyment by factors of ten. Might I recommend The Bard's Tale if you venture down this path?

--me
I pimp this in every thread I can.

MARIO GOLF!
:unsure: Isn't Diablo an onscreen co-op on the console platforms?
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Quote:even then, i dont think that's a good reason.
QFT. Indeed, there is no conceivable reason for anyone not to buy both. And I'm not saying that because a friend of mine is in the credits. I'm saying it because they are excellent games.

Haven't you ever wanted to build a washing machine out of a pile of errant lego blocks; push a big crate off a high ledge; watch it shatter in to a few dozen lego pieces; climb down and construct a motorcycle from the disassembled pieces; use the Force to fling the motorcycle into the washing machine; and then blow them up? I think you have.
The error occurred on line -1.
Quote:Haven't you ever wanted to build a washing machine out of a pile of errant lego blocks; push a big crate off a high ledge; watch it shatter in to a few dozen lego pieces; climb down and construct a motorcycle from the disassembled pieces; use the Force to fling the motorcycle into the washing machine; and then blow them up? I think you have.

I...I think I have to buy the game now. Oh, and a console.
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
Quote:I...I think I have to buy the game now. Oh, and a console.
That particular bit is from LSWII, both games are available on PC as well as most consoles. Preferably played with a gamepad of some sort, so get one (or two if you want to play coop) for your PC if you don't have one already.
Hugs are good, but smashing is better! - Clarence<!--sizec--><!--/sizec-->