Wow, I thought this kind of thing was done away with years ago
Quote:Louis Farrakhan took a bullet for the team.
I think I'm getting a little exhausted.

-Jester
Hi,

Quote:I think I'm getting a little exhausted.
A little help, please. Just what on that link are you pointing us to? The big umlauted 'arggg"?

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Quote:Hi,
A little help, please. Just what on that link are you pointing us to? The big umlauted 'arggg"?

--Pete

It's supposed to go to a Tom Tomorrow cartoon. It does not always do so; just now I wound up on the front page of Salon.com, but got the cartoon on the second try.
At first I thought, "Mind control satellites? No way!" But now I can't remember how we lived without them.
------
WoW PC's of significance
Vaimadarsa Pavis Hykim Jakaleel Odayla Odayla
Yeah, it´s the latest Tom Tomorrow cartoon - the first link to go up is Salon. I don´t think there is another one until it goes up on Credo, but I´ll add that link when it does.

Sorry about that.

-Jester
Hi,

Quote:Yeah, it´s the latest Tom Tomorrow cartoon
Aha. Thanks, it came up this time. I was a little confused there for a bit.:)

--Pete

Quote:Do you have any evidence that Louis Farrakhan was a "friend" of President Obama? I seem to recall us having this discussion before. My understanding is that the two have no direct relationship of any kind.

-Jester

You misunderstood my post. Louie and Al were mentioned separately from Obama's friends. They were just mentioned as being two wonderful individuals who get away with spewing crap, and about whom no one makes a big deal about. As though they are entitled to their point of view and nothing else. As I've said, compared to them AND some of Obama's friends, this is lightweight stuff.

Edit: Just because Obama is supposedly no longer a friend of people like Rev. Wright (yeh, ok) it does not mean that he does not still share their ideas. You do not keep a friendship with people for many years if you do not see things similarly and people do not suddenly change overnight. You can not make a bullet out of s..t. You are what you are.
Quote:You misunderstood my post. Louie and Al were mentioned separately from Obama's friends. They were just mentioned as being two wonderful individuals who get away with spewing crap, and about whom no one makes a big deal about. As though they are entitled to their point of view and nothing else.
To refresh everyone's memory, the relevant sentence was:

Quote:However, compared to wonderful people like Louis Farakkhan, Al Sharpton, or a host of supposedly "former" friends of our current president, this worm is a lightweight.
If that's not supposed to imply that Louis Farrakhan (and Al Sharpton) were examples of "former" friends of the president, then you seriously need to work on clarity in communication. Especially because, unlike Farrakhan, Obama actually knows Al Sharpton.

Quote:Edit: Just because Obama is supposedly no longer a friend of people like Rev. Wright (yeh, ok) it does not mean that he does not still share their ideas. You do not keep a friendship with people for many years if you do not see things similarly and people do not suddenly change overnight. You can not make a bullet out of s..t. You are what you are.
I've been friends for years and years with people who do not see things similarly - and yet they remain my friends. Is your social group so homogenous that I can just assign any of their beliefs to you, sight unseen? Mine sure isn't like that. This is doubly true when comparing one generation to another - Wright is a full 20 years older than Obama, and those were a hell of a 20 years for the black community.

-Jester
Hi,

Quote:You do not keep a friendship with people for many years if you do not see things similarly and people do not suddenly change overnight.
Actually, I have many friends who disagree with me. With some, we have topics that we mutually avoid. With others, we discuss our disagreements. In some cases, the disagreements and the subsequent discussion *is* the basis of our friendship.

And people do change. Or, at least, open minded people who are constantly re-evaluating themselves and the world around them do. Sometimes it is a slow evolution, sometimes one central fact or experience causes a sudden change. The only people who do not change are those who value their opinions over the facts, or are too dim to understand the facts.

--Pete

Quote:I think sometimes it does matter. When Bush spoke at Bob Jones University, it made Jester nervous.
I don't recall that, actually. A quick search for "Bob Jones" reveals only two threads that mention it. In one, you brought it up, and I didn't comment. In the other, I was yelling at you for making ridiculous comparisons with Rev. Wright. In neither case was Bush mentioned.

Do you remember differently?

-Jester
Quote:In some cases, the disagreements and the subsequent discussion *is* the basis of our friendship.

Or marriage.
Quote: is Bob Jones University the same kind of thing as clown college?
Yes
Quote:Yes

Apart from a spelling error in line 817 there is nothing wrong with that document.
Hi,

Quote:Yes
Found, at last, a non-narcotic soporific. ;)

--Pete

Quote:To refresh everyone's memory, the relevant sentence was:
If that's not supposed to imply that Louis Farrakhan (and Al Sharpton) were examples of "former" friends of the president, then you seriously need to work on clarity in communication. Especially because, unlike Farrakhan, Obama actually knows Al Sharpton.
I've been friends for years and years with people who do not see things similarly - and yet they remain my friends. Is your social group so homogenous that I can just assign any of their beliefs to you, sight unseen? Mine sure isn't like that. This is doubly true when comparing one generation to another - Wright is a full 20 years older than Obama, and those were a hell of a 20 years for the black community.

-Jester

I think your command of the english language is significantly poorer than I imagined it would be. "Or" a host of friends automatically implies that the two former are not. If I implied that they were, I'd say "or a host of other friends".

As far as who you are friends with.... I don't know about you, but personally, I'd never be friends with someone like David Duke, or another KKK member. Sure, differences are acceptible, but not when it comes to issues of this magnitude. More importantly, he was not just a friend. Obama attanded the church where the good Rev. Wright preached his pearls of wisdom. There's a difference. You know that and I know that. You also understand very well what I meant by my Sharpton and Farrakhan quote. You just decided to try to squeeze something out of this that you otherwise could not. Do not play semantics games with me. In fact, if you care at all about getting responses from me, do not play games with me at all.
Quote:I think your command of the english language is significantly poorer than I imagined it would be. "Or" a host of friends automatically implies that the two former are not. If I implied that they were, I'd say "or a host of other friends".
Just because you can come up with a sentence that would imply it *more* clearly doesn't mean your sentence implies the opposite. It is logically possible to parse your sentence as you suggest. It is also possible to parse it as I suggest. Given that you have made *exactly* this assertion before (Obama + Farrakhan = bestest buddies), I know which one seemed far more obvious to me. Adding Sharpton to the list confused the issue even further. If you didn't want people to draw the implication that Obama was freinds with Farrakhan, then you needed to be clearer. Not that I believe, even for a moment, that you would in any way object to people drawing that conclusion.

Quote:As far as who you are friends with.... I don't know about you, but personally, I'd never be friends with someone like David Duke, or another KKK member.
Well, yeah, I think I'd probably draw the line quite some time before getting to David Duke.

Quote:Sure, differences are acceptible, but not when it comes to issues of this magnitude. More importantly, he was not just a friend. Obama attanded the church where the good Rev. Wright preached his pearls of wisdom. There's a difference. You know that and I know that.
There's a whole gigantic thread about the good Rev. Wright, where my views were made quite plain. He has since added a few more bizarre statements to his list (Obama was going to send someone to Durban II? Until the Zionist lobby shut him down? I somehow doubt it.), but he's still basically the same person. He is incendiary, controversial, and certainly not politically correct, but he is simply not in the same order of magnitude as David Duke, or the Klan.

Quote:You also understand very well what I meant by my Sharpton and Farrakhan quote. You just decided to try to squeeze something out of this that you otherwise could not. Do not play semantics games with me. In fact, if you care at all about getting responses from me, do not play games with me at all.
I really don't give a flying fig, Ashock. You've said on at least a half-dozen different occasions that you'd never reply to me again because I was clearly an idiot who you would't dignify with your time. Even if I cared, which I absolutely don't, the credibility of your threats on this point can only be distinguished from zero with an electron microscope. If you want to discuss things on the lounge, enjoy. I'll be here. If not, then all the same.

-Jester
Quote:Apart from a spelling error in line 817 there is nothing wrong with that document.
Explaining my link...

BJU is, unfortunately, a real entity.

Back in the 1980's, one of its litmus tests for admission was that prospective students could not practice or advocate interracial marriage or dating.

The document I linked was about its squabble with the U.S. government, who had pulled its tax-emempt status, presumably about the interracial thing.

Some of you may feel that the 1980's was ancient history, but I remember them -- opposing interracial dating was viewed as racism by almost all Americans. You have to say "almost" because of racist enclaves like BJU, who put their racism on a religious altar.

So when you ask if BJU is a "clown college", I have to say yes, as in "what a bunch of clowns" in the very negative sense of "what a bunch of racist aholes".

-Van
Quote:I think your command of the english language is significantly poorer than I imagined it would be. "Or" a host of friends automatically implies that the two former are not. If I implied that they were, I'd say "or a host of other friends".

As far as who you are friends with.... I don't know about you, but personally, I'd never be friends with someone like David Duke, or another KKK member. Sure, differences are acceptible, but not when it comes to issues of this magnitude. More importantly, he was not just a friend. Obama attanded the church where the good Rev. Wright preached his pearls of wisdom. There's a difference. You know that and I know that. You also understand very well what I meant by my Sharpton and Farrakhan quote. You just decided to try to squeeze something out of this that you otherwise could not. Do not play semantics games with me. In fact, if you care at all about getting responses from me, do not play games with me at all.

If Wright, Farakhan and Sharpton go on weekend trips where they drag white people behind their car, you are absolutely right.

I also agree with you that it is unwanted to have people that go to church are heads of state....anywhere, but to use that against Obama......he is not the only US president that does/did this.
Quote:If Wright, Farakhan and Sharpton go on weekend trips where they drag white people behind their car, you are absolutely right.

I also agree with you that it is unwanted to have people that go to church are heads of state....anywhere, but to use that against Obama......he is not the only US president that does/did this.
Do you think it ever has happened that a black person has killed a white person, merely for being white?
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Quote:Do you think it ever has happened that a black person has killed a white person, merely for being white?

And that has anything to do with what I wrote because?
Quote:If Wright, Farakhan and Sharpton go on weekend trips where they drag white people behind their car, you are absolutely right.

Hah, they are all Christians. If yer not christian you don't stand a chance to become pres in the US.

Still waiting for the first athiest female <strike>black</strike> president in the US with an iq over 130.
Former www.diablo2.com webmaster.

When in deadly danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.