How much memory can Windows XP handle?
Can Windows XP handle more than 2GB of memory? Tried 4GB but appearantly it won't work.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Hi,

Quote:Can Windows XP handle more than 2GB of memory? Tried 4GB but appearantly it won't work.
I never tried it, but according to Microsoft, XP should recognize up to 4 GB of memory. There does seem to be some 2 GB limits on files, links on the page I linked to.

Sorry not to be of more help.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Quote:Can Windows XP handle more than 2GB of memory? Tried 4GB but appearantly it won't work.

As far as I know, XP can't effectively use more than 2GB of memory. One of Vista's "things" is it's ability to use more than 2GB of RAM.
"Just as individuals are born, mature, breed and die, so do societies, civilizations and governments."
Muad'Dib - Children of Dune

Are you running 64 bit windows? 32 bit operating systems can only deal with 2 GB of RAM at a time (though some 32 bit systems still support more than 2 GB of memory, and I will point out I don't entirely understand all the limitations). On a 32 bit system, more than 2 GB is the very least supposed to have very sharp diminishing returns.

gekko
"Life is sacred and you are not its steward. You have stewardship over it but you don't own it. You're making a choice to go through this, it's not just happening to you. You're inviting it, and in some ways delighting in it. It's not accidental or coincidental. You're choosing it. You have to realize you've made choices."
-Michael Ventura, "Letters@3AM"
It is a 32-bit OS so theoretically it should be able to handle up to 4 gigs.

Upon doing some very short research, it appears that there is a hard max of 4 gigs of every type of memory that Windows can see. If you're off by a small amount, it was suggested to try turning off the page file (which is a type of memory so it counts against the limit).

Another possibility is to double check your MB and bios to make sure that it supports the amount of memory that you're putting in.

A third poster in a thread concerning the same issue, who contacted a computer maker, received a response that stated that the amount showing up in the Windows property shows a slightly different value that what most people think it is (they said something about addressable space, which didn't make sense to me). It also said that as long as the BIOS recognized the 4 gigs, Windows should be using it.

If it's a program such as photoshop only seeing a certain amount, I found this comment:
Quote:There is a way to assign more memory to the application. The problem starts out when XP grabs about 2GB of your 4GB total for system processes and system control. That leaves only about 2GB available for your applications. Hence Adobe is still only seeing 2GB available.

At the root of your C:\ drive is a read-only file called Boot.ini, change it to writable, and add the following text to the end of the entries

/3gb /userva=2900

That will skew the way XP apportions memory so that XP will only get about 1GB for itself, and 3GB will be available for your applications.

Do some research on adding these switches to the boot.ini file. You'll see there're some restrictions for XP SP1 users and ways to avoid getting a non-bootable system.

Hope this helps. :)
Stormrage
Raelynn - Gnome Warlock - Herbalism/Alchemy
Markuun - Tauren Shaman - Skinning/Leatherworking
Aredead - Undead Mage - Tailoring/Enchanting

Dethecus
Gutzmek - Orc Shaman - Skinning/Leatherworking

It could also be your motherboard. *shrug*
WWBBD?
Thanks all for the information and tips. The store that buikt the computer could not get Windows to work properly with more than 2 GB (they got some error message with 4 appearantly). The solution for now is that I have 2GB put in and got the other 2 as spare. I will when I get some time in the future for this, try to see if I can get the other 2 working some way, going by tips suggested here. I just got my computer home the other day so have not had time looking at anything yet.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Quote:Thanks all for the information and tips. The store that buikt the computer could not get Windows to work properly with more than 2 GB (they got some error message with 4 appearantly). The solution for now is that I have 2GB put in and got the other 2 as spare. I will when I get some time in the future for this, try to see if I can get the other 2 working some way, going by tips suggested here. I just got my computer home the other day so have not had time looking at anything yet.
First thing I would do is to research the RAM and see what the MOBO spec is, the BIOS memory timing settings and if all 4 sticks are the same. It might be that 2 sticks work with one set of Memory bus timings, but for 4 sticks you might need to change the timings slightly. If the 4 sticks are not equal, I would research the differences and try to get 4 equal parts. Then I would look at the MOBO documentation to see if there are any silly jumpers or dips switches to configure, and finally I would install the 4 sticks of RAM and see how it fails. Depending on the error, then I would follow up with MOBO, Bios, or OS research to determine how to correct the problem (if it is possible).
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Thanks everyone for the input. Having got the actual computer, it turns out that the limit seems to be in Windows XP. The manual for the motherboard has some details about how it can't handle all the memory correct or good (didn't understand the exact techtalk) unless you have "less than 3GB" installed. The mother board handles up to 8GB it seems. So I will have the bag with the extra 2GB in waiting for when I get some operating system that can handle it (if that ever happens).