Ouro = teh Smashie
Ouro's down on Stormrage!

And there was much rejoicing (yaaaay).

Amazing tidbit of the evening: we were staying up until 1:30 AM after an 11% wipe and a 5% wipe...with only a handful of people bowing out. It's awesome when you're so close and you can taste it.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Congrats guys.
Intolerant monkey.
Way to go!

How would you rate the difficulty and learning curve of the fight, say compared to the Twin Emps? On Malygos, only one guild has killed Ouro (the same guild is the only one to kill C'thun as well). I'm not sure whether that's because Ouro is particularly difficult, or because no one else has seriously tried yet (devoting their time to C'thun and Naxxramas).

Our guild killed the Twin Emps for the first time on the weekend, so the idea of hunting Ouro first is intriguing.

Chris
Quote:How would you rate the difficulty and learning curve of the fight, say compared to the Twin Emps?

I'd say that Ouro is easier than the Emps only in that he's more 'forgiving'. Emps has to be 15-ish minutes of no "big" mistakes, and very few "small" ones. Ouro has several different strats and things you can do. Once you figure out the best way for your group, and pull it all together...he's not so hard. Having a dedicated crew helps, too. The Emps took us 6 weeks of 'work' to solve, due to a highly rotating roster. One raid was even cancelled because of lack of bodies. But with Ouro, we've had 3 solid weeks of pretty much the same folks on him, and took him to the cleaners.

Quote: because Ouro is particularly difficult, or because no one else has seriously tried yet (devoting their time to C'thun and Naxxramas).

Few folks are interested in "optional" bosses. Why bother when you can go right for the big guy, right? As well, Ouro used to be VERY hard. So folks have passed him by. It's the same thing with Vicidious. There is no "need" to kill him, and he's certainly not a walk in the park boss...so why bother with the effort of spending weeks to learn a boss you don't 'need' to kill anyhow.

This is even more so true with the carrot of Naxx. "Why should we bother with this optional boss when there are bigger fish out there!?"

Our Council decides that before we'd do any serious attempts on C'Thun, we'd put Ouro into the ground. That has, I'd like to think, driven our raiders to great heights in putting the big worm down, as everyone is eager to kill C'Thun!
~Not all who wander are lost...~
Quote:Few folks are interested in "optional" bosses. Why bother when you can go right for the big guy, right? As well, Ouro used to be VERY hard. So folks have passed him by. It's the same thing with Vicidious. There is no "need" to kill him, and he's certainly not a walk in the park boss...so why bother with the effort of spending weeks to learn a boss you don't 'need' to kill anyhow.

This is even more so true with the carrot of Naxx. "Why should we bother with this optional boss when there are bigger fish out there!?"

I assume thats what most of the guilds on our server at this point are doing: "We'll kill C'thun first, then get Ouro". Ouro at least has the incentive of the AQ set legs, plus a few other nice items (Burrower Bracers, Jom Grabbar trinket etc). There seems to be almost no reason to kill Viscidus these days beyond the challenge of the fight itself. The Silithid Femur was a very nice caster weapon, but it doesn't hold a candle to the Wraith Blade.

Chris
Quote:I assume thats what most of the guilds on our server at this point are doing: "We'll kill C'thun first, then get Ouro". Ouro at least has the incentive of the AQ set legs, plus a few other nice items (Burrower Bracers, Jom Grabbar trinket etc). There seems to be almost no reason to kill Viscidus these days beyond the challenge of the fight itself. The Silithid Femur was a very nice caster weapon, but it doesn't hold a candle to the Wraith Blade.
Viscidus is "broken" in the sense of risk vs reward, at least for Alliance. It's one of the few bosses in the game that the Horde can agree "well, we got you there." It's just plain easier for them.

Ouro's far easier than the Twin Emps. I'd say it took us 3 weeks to get him down, but one week was only 2 attempts. Two "serious" nights of going at him and he was downed, which says a lot for our more casual raiding force. We just had to drill the concept of running from Sand Blasts and positioning correctly for emerges until it was executed correctly.

Most guilds will skip him and go to C'Thun first. I dunno, I prefer having an extra loot pinata before the long grind of learning such a difficult encounter like C'Thun. Since we currently have AQ40 split into two nights, where night one = smash Twin Emps and either clear some post-Emps trash or take out the Bug Family and night two = Ouro/C'Thun, it gives night two some loot grab before wiping over and over to the end boss.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.