The Thai Coup
I've been following the bloodless September 19 coup in Bangkok (somewhat disappointed the troops never used Pirate-speak during the operation) closely— well, as closely as a guy without TV news can follow it. From what I've garnered about the situation and the circumstances, the seeds of despotism just got trampled over before they could irrevocably take root in the nation. We have here a PM who used his personal wealth and business influence to sow cronies throughout the national infrastructure and gather hold threads of power that threatened not only the democratic process attempting to take hold in the kingdom, but contested the popular influence of the king himself.

The coup and preliminary plans for power are not troubling me. What I do find vexing is the statements of dyed-in-the-wool democracies condemning the action as an affront to democracy. Especially poignant is the view taken by the U.S. Government— it only reminds me of just how far away we Americans have drifted from the memory of our Revolutionary heritage. A nation that was born out of socking it to The Man has become so comfortable in the mantle of power that it no longer recognizes where democracy ends and despotism begins. More upset by the shifting of the board than recognizing just what pieces are being moved.

What such critics have failed to see past are the superficial labels of "democratically-elected Prime Minister"; "the military"; and "the King" into what was going on in Thailand. What many see as the overthrow of a democratic government, I see instead is a bastard cousin to a bona fide democratic revolution. Things were so broken, or about to break, that drastic action was taken in order to stop this freight train before it derailed into something bloodier than it already was.

The only uncertainty I hold is the one where we wait and see if Cincinnatus still has a place in the 21st Century.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Quote:I've been following the bloodless September 19 coup in Bangkok (somewhat disappointed the troops never used Pirate-speak during the operation) closely— well, as closely as a guy without TV news can follow it. From what I've garnered about the situation and the circumstances, the seeds of despotism just got trampled over before they could irrevocably take root in the nation. We have here a PM who used his personal wealth and business influence to sow cronies throughout the national infrastructure and gather hold threads of power that threatened not only the democratic process attempting to take hold in the kingdom, but contested the popular influence of the king himself.

The coup and preliminary plans for power are not troubling me. What I do find vexing is the statements of dyed-in-the-wool democracies condemning the action as an affront to democracy. Especially poignant is the view taken by the U.S. Government— it only reminds me of just how far away we Americans have drifted from the memory of our Revolutionary heritage. A nation that was born out of socking it to The Man has become so comfortable in the mantle of power that it no longer recognizes where democracy ends and despotism begins. More upset by the shifting of the board than recognizing just what pieces are being moved.

What such critics have failed to see past are the superficial labels of "democratically-elected Prime Minister"; "the military"; and "the King" into what was going on in Thailand. What many see as the overthrow of a democratic government, I see instead is a bastard cousin to a bona fide democratic revolution. Things were so broken, or about to break, that drastic action was taken in order to stop this freight train before it derailed into something bloodier than it already was.

The only uncertainty I hold is the one where we wait and see if Cincinnatus still has a place in the 21st Century.
Yeah, I agree with you. Thailands corrupt PM had to go. It was still too bad it was as a coup de etat, though. It just sets a pattern (ala Haiti) for what the powerful (military or just a junta) will do in the future if they are displeased with the people in civilian power. I am reminded that Pakistan's emergency coup from 1999 has still not resulted in an election.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Quote:Yeah, I agree with you. Thailands corrupt PM had to go. It was still too bad it was as a coup de etat, though. It just sets a pattern (ala Haiti) for what the powerful (military or just a junta) will do in the future if they are displeased with the people in civilian power. I am reminded that Pakistan's emergency coup from 1999 has still not resulted in an election.
It follows a pattern. Coups in Thailand seem a popular method for changing governments since WW II. I count 4 since 1947.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Quote:What such critics have failed to see past are the superficial labels of "democratically-elected Prime Minister"; "the military"; and "the King" into what was going on in Thailand. What many see as the overthrow of a democratic government, I see instead is a bastard cousin to a bona fide democratic revolution. Things were so broken, or about to break, that drastic action was taken in order to stop this freight train before it derailed into something bloodier than it already was.

Well, the Bangkok media elite certainly convinced you!

The fact is that Thaksin Shinawatra enjoys widespread support in the countryside and amongst the poor. He won his elections by a much more convincing margin than Bush or Merkel. The opposition parties lost fair and square and refused to accept the result.

The "problem" of Shinawatra is that he is a selfmade man and that he has curtailedf the privileges of the capital and the rich and middleclass people who have been used to living of the taxes squeezed from the people and spent by an obliging state for their benefit.

Anyway, what was broken? The economy is doing alright and the normal people aren't complaining. Thaksin has dealt harshly with drugdealers and muslim terrorists. I see nothing wrong with that!
Prophecy of Deimos
“The world doesn’t end with water, fire, or cold. I’ve divined the coming apocalypse. It ends with tentacles!”
Quote:The economy is doing alright and the normal people aren't complaining.

The people who are complaining are abnormal, somehow?

-Jester
Quote:The people who are complaining are abnormal, somehow?

-Jester
Think pluthaicrats. ;) They are still pissed that their planet got demoted, I hear.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Quote:The people who are complaining are abnormal, somehow?

-Jester

Normal people: Farmers, workers etc. People who pay taxes, work hard and haven't got friends in high places to get them some subsidies, tax breaks or other financial goodies. The people who complain are in that sense not normal, i.e. average/majority.
Prophecy of Deimos
“The world doesn’t end with water, fire, or cold. I’ve divined the coming apocalypse. It ends with tentacles!”
How about a little Thai Coup Haiku? Add yours...

The tanks take Bangkok
generals are now in charge
Shinawatra gone
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Quote:How about a little Thai Coup Haiku? Add yours...
Tanks roll into town
He drinks coffee with Kofi
Bang! Coup in Bangcock
In Memory of Pete
Quote:Tanks roll into town
He drinks coffee with Kofi
Bang! Coup in Bangcock
I couldn't resist this one... although I tried...

No shots are fired here
Hello soldier in Bangkok
I love you long time

Quote:I couldn't resist this one... although I tried...

No shots are fired here
Hello soldier in Bangkok
I love you long time
In your pocket, Jo
Something bulges toward me
Mango or Bangkok?

H Allen Smith once wrote a story about how Bangkok got its name. Hilarious.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Quote:How about a little Thai Coup Haiku? Add yours...

The tanks take Bangkok
generals are now in charge
Shinawatra gone

A little more America oriented, but...

Bangkok has changed hands
Do Americans really care?
Turn back to Seinfeld!

--me
Hi,

Quote:A little more America oriented, but...

Bangkok has changed hands
Do Americans really care?
Turn back to Seinfeld!

--me

A coup in Bangkok,
The world looks on with boredom.
Children play hopscotch.

--Pete

PS 5-7-5?

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Quote:Hi,
A coup in Bangkok,
The world looks on with boredom.
Children play hopscotch.

--Pete

PS 5-7-5?
Look! A tank comes here.
Are we scared? Run? Shout?
We drink beer (a Stout).

Quote:PS 5-7-5?

Yeah, 5-7-5 sounds right. Unfortunately, one of the side effects of high-ish level math in college is loss of the ability to count. My apologies.

--me
Hi,
Quote:Yeah, 5-7-5 sounds right. Unfortunately, one of the side effects of high-ish level math in college is loss of the ability to count. My apologies.
No problem, I just wasn't sure if you'd deviated intentionally or because you weren't aware of the form. After all, it does say, ". . . containing usually five, seven, and five syllables . . .", implying that some deviation is acceptable.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?