Chemistry for Newbies
So one day I'd like to return to college and become a chemical engineer (the military may prove to be the best method of doing this, though I'm still considering other options), but it's going to be a while yet before I'll be able to afford and/or spare the time necessary to take the classes and whatnot. That being said, I'd still like to keep basic chemistry (and the necessary mathematical concepts and stuff) relatively fresh in my mind, so I'm going to be abusing the hell out of the local public library (which seems to have a rather impressive selection of books, DVDs, and all other knick-knacks on a very wide variety of subjects) and getting books to study to keep the things I need to know fresh in my mind.

Only problem is, I'm quite sure where to start. I haven't searched for textbooks, but I don't think the library carries them (and if it does, they're probably going to be restricted to UA students), so I can probably rule standard textbooks out. However, I imagine there are plenty of other books I could read and study for the same basic purpose. Anyone out there have any ideas of where to start?
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Hi,

Quote:Anyone out there have any ideas of where to start?
Different things work for different people, so all I can tell you is what has worked for me.

Go to the library, look in the card catalog for the subject you are interested in (depending on your library, you might be able to do this online from home). At this point, you are not looking for any particular book, just the number (Library of Congress, Dewey, or whatever your library uses) that categorizes the subject of interest. Go to the stacks in the area of that number and look at a few books. I usually grab a dozen or so, take them to a table, look at the table of contents and the index, read a few paragraphs (you'll get more out of a well written book than from one that's so dull it'll put you to sleep) and make a note of the ones that look good. Then check those out, one or two at a time, and read through them (or just scan them) at your leisure. It as been my experience that maintaining proficiency is a lot easier than getting it in the first place.

However, for the kinds of things you mentioned, textbooks are about the only viable options. Reference books are usually narrow in scope and do not address the fundamentals (the author rightfully assumes that anyone using a reference book is knowledgeable about the basics). Monographs are usually very advanced and focus tightly on a single topic. And popular science books usually avoid all the technical aspects that you are looking for (there is an adage that each equation in a popular science book halves the sales).

Good luck.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Quote:So one day I'd like to return to college and become a chemical engineer (the military may prove to be the best method of doing this, though I'm still considering other options), but it's going to be a while yet before I'll be able to afford and/or spare the time necessary to take the classes and whatnot. That being said, I'd still like to keep basic chemistry (and the necessary mathematical concepts and stuff) relatively fresh in my mind, so I'm going to be abusing the hell out of the local public library (which seems to have a rather impressive selection of books, DVDs, and all other knick-knacks on a very wide variety of subjects) and getting books to study to keep the things I need to know fresh in my mind.

Only problem is, I'm quite sure where to start. I haven't searched for textbooks, but I don't think the library carries them (and if it does, they're probably going to be restricted to UA students), so I can probably rule standard textbooks out. However, I imagine there are plenty of other books I could read and study for the same basic purpose. Anyone out there have any ideas of where to start?
Join the local pyrotechnics club. Good for military, civilian, and CE study all together.

Harvard Summer Chem courses
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Brush your teeth with Thermodyamics, swish with algebra, and most importantly keep study, sleep and stress management habits good.
Quote: Anyone out there have any ideas of where to start?

Have you thought about buying some books?

I'm saying this because there must be sources where you can buy such textbooks for quite good prices. Especially when you don't use it for classes but just for yourself you don't care which edition you use. With that in mind you must be able 2 find organic chemistry text books for 20 dollars. (normal price would be around 100 or more)
There is McMurry, solomon, and the best (but most boring) is probably March (which might cost you more).

Well the same goes for physical chemistry, Atkins is one of the better ones I think. And it cover everything, thermodynamics, kinetics, quantum chemistry, spectroscopy.

If you read those two books you will have a very solid basis. And for a price which will be just a fraction of what you are going to pay when you will start studying. More details on thermo, inorganic, biochem, polymers etc. you will find later when you actually start your studies.

The level is what we used when we came out of high school on our first days at the university...basicly till the end.

So I advice you to check out some secondhand bookshops, or shops that sell new books which were left not sold in regular shops (I don't know the english word for such a shop).

good luck
Quote:Join the local pyrotechnics club. Good for military, civilian, and CE study all together.

Harvard Summer Chem courses

The Harvard course syllabus looks like as good a place as any to start. I don't have the spare cash to buy textbooks (even cheap ones), but I'll certainly start looking when I do. Till then, I'll be giving Pete's method a try:)
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Quote:The Harvard course syllabus looks like as good a place as any to start. I don't have the spare cash to buy textbooks (even cheap ones), but I'll certainly start looking when I do. Till then, I'll be giving Pete's method a try:)

I just remember, there is a new initiative in a few countries in europe (denmark, sweden, germany, holland) where books can be downloaded for free on internet. The pdfs contain advertisements after every 5th page or so (that is how they pay for it). Mainly revieuws and excercise books though. Anyway you might check it out.
This is the dutch link (but there is not very much, so try to find the swedish and danish ones because I guess they also use english books whereas the germans will probably use german)

http://studentensupport.nl/store/ingenieur_chemie.ashx

eppie

Quote:Well the same goes for physical chemistry, Atkins is one of the better ones I think. And it cover everything, thermodynamics, kinetics, quantum chemistry, spectroscopy.
Peter Atkins used to teach me at university, and yes his book is very good. But it is chemistry, not chemical engineering; the two are very different.
Quote:Peter Atkins used to teach me at university, and yes his book is very good. But it is chemistry, not chemical engineering; the two are very different.

Oxford is it?

Anyway, I used to study chemistry, about chemical engeneering books I don't know much.
Apart from that you have to be handy with maths....
I've had second thoughts about this. From what I know of the US educational system they speciailise about a year later than we do in the UK, and I think Atkins will be heavy going for someone in between school and college. In any event it probably isn't available in the US.
Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it until you go to school. Basic chemistry shouldn't really be that difficult if you are planning on becoming a chem E. Chemistry is a university core requirment anyways, not to mention a prerequisite for anything in the chem E program.
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!