Finding the right RAM
Hey,

Firstly it's been a while since I last posted here, although I'm often lurking around:)

Basically my family have just bought a new computer and I have bought the famous World of Warcraft, the problem is that this computer only has 256mb of ram:(I installed the game last night but when I did finally get around to playing my character could hardly move. Heres my computers full specification listed on the site:

HEWLETT PACKARD A1507UKPC

Processor speed: 3.06 GHz
Processor: Intel Celeron Desktop
Optical drive: Plays & records CDs and DVDs
Storage (hard drive): 80 GB
Memory (RAM): 256 Mb
Graphics: 128MB ATIX200

I get the impression that if I add an extra 1gb of RAM then things should be running smoothly? The only problem is I'm not sure which memory stick to buy, there seems to be so many these days. I have no problems taking the machine apart and installing the memory when I get it, or looking for clues to which memory I need. If anyone could help me find out which memory I need it would be well appreciated:)

Thanks in Advance
Hi,

I'm not expert on running WoW with different computer setups, but it does look like RAM is your major performance bottleneck at this point.

I looked up the specifications for your model on HP's website, and found this:

Quote:Motherboard
* Manufacturer: ECS
* Motherboard Name: RC410-M
* HP/Compaq motherboard name: Asterope2-GL8E

Memory
Component Attributes
Memory Installed 256 MB
Maximum allowed 2 GB (2 x 1 GB)
Speed supported PC2-3200 MB/sec
Type 240 pin, DDR2 SDRAM

The most important aspects are probably the last two lines, and with that information I was able to come up with something like this from NewEgg (note that I didn't do any serious price or quality comparisons, just found a link to memory that appears to be compatible.

I'm also no computer whiz (jeez, why am I answering here?:P) but it seems like in most cases it's recommended that the RAM matches. So, having a 1GB RAM stick in one slot and a 256 MB RAM stick in another might cause some problems (computer knowledgeable folks please correct if necessary). So, you might opt to go just for one, 1GB stick with the option to add another at some point, or 2X500 MB.

Good luck!
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
Quote:I'm also no computer whiz (jeez, why am I answering here?:P) but it seems like in most cases it's recommended that the RAM matches. So, having a 1GB RAM stick in one slot and a 256 MB RAM stick in another might cause some problems (computer knowledgeable folks please correct if necessary). So, you might opt to go just for one, 1GB stick with the option to add another at some point, or 2X500 MB.

Having matched sticks of RAM is necessary when running RAM in dual-channel mode, which that motherboard does not seem to support. You are right with the RAM type though.

A single stick of 1GB DDR2 667 is probably your best bet. It will allow you to upgrade to 2GB at some point if you feel the need (which is the maximum amount that your motherboard will support).

Another option for upgrading is to ditch that god-awful integrated graphics. Your motherboard has an open PCI Express X16 slot, so use it. Something like a Radeon X1600 or GeForce 7600GS will be a significant upgrade over what you have, and at very little cost (less than$100 USD).
Quote:Another option for upgrading is to ditch that god-awful integrated graphics. Your motherboard has an open PCI Express X16 slot, so use it. Something like a Radeon X1600 or GeForce 7600GS will be a significant upgrade over what you have, and at very little cost (less than$100 USD).
Just a note that this would be an option in addition to the memory upgrade, not instead of. IIRC, the last time I checked, the WoW footprint is 400+ meg so 256 meg will not cut it.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Quote:Just a note that this would be an option in addition to the memory upgrade, not instead of. IIRC, the last time I checked, the WoW footprint is 400+ meg so 256 meg will not cut it.
I think that I average around 512 megs of memory used by WoW, so upgrading over 256megs should be a noticable improvement.
Stormrage
Raelynn - Gnome Warlock - Herbalism/Alchemy
Markuun - Tauren Shaman - Skinning/Leatherworking
Aredead - Undead Mage - Tailoring/Enchanting

Dethecus
Gutzmek - Orc Shaman - Skinning/Leatherworking
From personal experience with WoW:
256 MB -> 512 MB. Incredible difference.
512 MB -> 1024 MB. Good difference. Most noticeable on flight paths.
1024 MB -> 2048 MB. Okay difference, money is better spent elsewhere if WoW is the cause for upgrade. Nice having memory not limiting AddOns at all, though.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
A 3 GHz processor with 256MB of RAM is a crime - that is like a company hiring the best salesperson they can afford and then making him use a TV tray in the broom closet for his office!

Upgrading your RAM will probably yield noticable improvements for WoW and just about everything else. As Quark said, 256 is very limiting even with graphics settings at rock-bottom. 512 is enough to get the job done well for most parties. With 1 GB you will be able to handle 40-man raids and capital city lag with no problem, with graphics settings much higher.

And if you are not worrying about dual-channel, buying and installing RAM is a very easy and affordable upgrade.
Hey again,

Thanks a lot for all of your extremely helpful posts, I couldn't have hoped for a better response. We've just won for two 512mb sticks off ebay (£20.00 for both:)) they seemed to be what I needed, I just hope they work alright.

The specification read:

DDR2 SDRAM PC3200R ECC 1GB (2x 512MB) Servers & PC's

Features

• 240-pin, unbuffered dual in-line memory module

• Fast data transfer rates: PC2-3200

• Supports ECC error detection and correction

• 512MB (64 Meg x 64)

• 400MHz

• VDD = VDDQ = +1.8V

• VDDSPD = +1.7V to +3.6V

• JEDEC standard 1.8V I/O (SSTL_18-compatible)

• Differential data strobe (DQS, DQS#) option

• Four-bit prefetch architecture

• DLL to align DQ and DQS transitions with CK

• Multiple internal device banks for concurrent

operation

• Supports duplicate output strobe (RDQS/RDQS#)

• Programmable CAS# latency (CL)

• Posted CAS# additive latency (AL)

• WRITE latency = READ latency - 1 tCK

• Programmable burst lengths: 4 or 8

• Adjustable data-output drive strength

• 64ms, 8,192-cycle refresh

• On-die termination (ODT)

• Serial Presence Detect (SPD) with EEPROM

• Gold edge contacts

• Single rank

Thanks again:)
Hey,

My memory sticks arrived today, I took my single 256mb stick out and replaced it with two 512 sticks. When I connected it all back up the computer lit up but there was no input to the moniter :(. I replaced them with the original stick until I can find out what the problem is. On the current stick it says "CCC" on the memory, one the new ones is says ECC, are these not compatible?!
Quote:Hey,

My memory sticks arrived today, I took my single 256mb stick out and replaced it with two 512 sticks. When I connected it all back up the computer lit up but there was no input to the moniter :(. I replaced them with the original stick until I can find out what the problem is. On the current stick it says "CCC" on the memory, one the new ones is says ECC, are these not compatible?!

You could try adding one of the 512 sticks to the open slot along with the 256 mb stick, and then see how much memory your computer says it has with those in.

Edit- Oh, and don't do what I did and put the memory in backwards. I shorted out my entire motherboard doing that.
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
Quote:Hey,

Umm - ECC RAM (Error correcting code) is normally used in Servers and high end workstations (also the Mac Pro).

I suspect that it may not be interchangeable with the standard DDR2 as used in your machine. Big issue here is that it fits in the same DIMM sockets. You may want to see if you can exchange it.

HowGozit
Quote:Having matched sticks of RAM is necessary when running RAM in dual-channel mode, which that motherboard does not seem to support. You are right with the RAM type though.

A single stick of 1GB DDR2 667 is probably your best bet. It will allow you to upgrade to 2GB at some point if you feel the need (which is the maximum amount that your motherboard will support).

Another option for upgrading is to ditch that god-awful integrated graphics. Your motherboard has an open PCI Express X16 slot, so use it. Something like a Radeon X1600 or GeForce 7600GS will be a significant upgrade over what you have, and at very little cost (less than$100 USD).

Hey Dee,

I've got the X200 in my laptop and I can play both HL2 and Far Cry on Medium Settings (with some goodies turned up on HL) with no problem whatsoever (1.8ghz Turion ML-32 processor, 1.2 ghz DDR2 400). Doom 3 even runs smoothly with everything turned all the way down. Based on my experience (granted, I don't play WoW for "addiction" reasons) I don't think that the graphics card will cause huge problems for WoW on medium settings if she/he upgrades the RAM.
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
Quote:Hey Dee,

I've got the X200 in my laptop and I can play both HL2 and Far Cry on Medium Settings (with some goodies turned up on HL) with no problem whatsoever (1.8ghz Turion ML-32 processor, 1.2 ghz DDR2 400). Doom 3 even runs smoothly with everything turned all the way down. Based on my experience (granted, I don't play WoW for "addiction" reasons) I don't think that the graphics card will cause huge problems for WoW on medium settings if she/he upgrades the RAM.

I'm not saying that a X200 won't suffice, but a beefier gaming PCI express card will definitely make for a smoother gaming experience over an integrated card. It's a fairly inexpensive upgrade for the results, and Slash has an open PCI-E slot just waiting to be filled. It's certainly a viable upgrade path down the road.
Quote:I'm not saying that a X200 won't suffice, but a beefier gaming PCI express card will definitely make for a smoother gaming experience over an integrated card. It's a fairly inexpensive upgrade for the results, and Slash has an open PCI-E slot just waiting to be filled. It's certainly a viable upgrade path down the road.

Fair enough:)
But whate'er I be,
Nor I, nor any man that is,
With nothing shall be pleased till he be eased
With being nothing.
William Shakespeare - Richard II
The error correcting memory doesn't sound correct for your board. With the Celeron processor I'm not sure if you need the matching memory in each slot. I was going to recommend either the two 500K or the two 1-Gig sticks (XP is a memory hog). I would think the two 500k and a better video card will give you the most "bang for your buck". Be careful you don't get a video card that uses more power than your power supply can put out. Some of the new video cards need 450-500 watt power supplies and when they use the duel cards they are looking at around 700 watt supplies.

Regards,

Derek
Bevock - 85 Paladin - Stormrage
525 Mining 525 Blacksmith