Disaster Nostalgia
Rant on

OK, what agenda is being pursued with this 24/7 coverage of non news, New Orleans and Katrina, by news channels frustrated that 2006's hurrican season has not produced better disaster ratings? What, folks, the bloodletting in Lebanon not enough for you lampreys?

After Hurrican Andrew, a massive mess, the media did not come out with this great national nostalgia campaign of "oh how we all sucked and how it all sucks" the following year. What makes New Orleans so special, and Katrina? A damned fool of a mayor, and a bigger fool of a governor?

Think back to 2004: can any of you name the hurricane that kicked the crap out of Pensacola, Florida, in September? Come on folks, if we are going to get nostalgic, let's show a little fair mindedness.

Is this attention an attempt to replay the "We need to concentrate more power in Federal Government" card? Anyone smell a smokescreen?

Hey, New Orleans, I have one word for you and the moron you re elected as Mayor: Tsunami.

Two weeks from now, if you like, we can all rend garments in disaster nostalgia over the World Trade Center, an event sure to be played like an out of tune political harp. Five year anniversary cards, please folks, for the widows and orphans. Make checks payable to . . .

Where is the National Nostalgia parade for Mount Saint Helens? For the 1989 SF Earthquake? For Northridge? Hopefully, nowhere. Where is the Nostalgia parad for the 1993 flooding along the Missouri? Nowhere. Good.

Dear America, quit wallowing in the cult of the victim. Take a clue from the cultural Mother country, England, and

Get On With It!

Occhi (Somewhere near Indianola.)

Rant off
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Quote:Rant on

OK, what agenda is being pursued with this 24/7 coverage of non news, New Orleans and Katrina, by news channels frustrated that 2006's hurrican season has not produced better disaster ratings? What, folks, the bloodletting in Lebanon not enough for you lampreys?

After Hurrican Andrew, a massive mess, the media did not come out with this great national nostalgia campaign of "oh how we all sucked and how it all sucks" the following year. What makes New Orleans so special, and Katrina? A damned fool of a mayor, and a bigger fool of a governor?

Think back to 2004: can any of you name the hurricane that kicked the crap out of Pensacola, Florida, in September? Come on folks, if we are going to get nostalgic, let's show a little fair mindedness.

Is this attention an attempt to replay the "We need to concentrate more power in Federal Government" card? Anyone smell a smokescreen?

Hey, New Orleans, I have one word for you and the moron you re elected as Mayor: Tsunami.

Two weeks from now, if you like, we can all rend garments in disaster nostalgia over the World Trade Center, an event sure to be played like an out of tune political harp. Five year anniversary cards, please folks, for the widows and orphans. Make checks payable to . . .

Where is the National Nostalgia parade for Mount Saint Helens? For the 1989 SF Earthquake? For Northridge? Hopefully, nowhere. Where is the Nostalgia parad for the 1993 flooding along the Missouri? Nowhere. Good.

Dear America, quit wallowing in the cult of the victim. Take a clue from the cultural Mother country, England, and

Get On With It!

Rant off

That's funny, because while driving home from work today, I flipped on NPR news radio and all the information being broadcasted was about NO. It brought to mind how last night while channel-surfing (a luxury I don't often get, but when I do I am thankful I didn't go through with canceling my cable subscription) I flew past several news channels talking about the hurricane and NO. So jump back to present, while driving in my car I felt a little bit of annoyance creep up with the exact same sentiments spoken of by Occi. Interesting I say, that I am not the only one feeling this way.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Quote:Think back to 2004: can any of you name the hurricane that kicked the crap out of Pensacola, Florida, in September?
IIRC, it was Bonnie. There was a second one that came right after, but I don't remember what that one was (they avoided calling it Clyde because they didn't want to turn it into a joke).

Quote:Five year anniversary cards, please folks, for the widows and orphans. Make checks payable to . . .
Aka, the new Nicholas Cage movie.

Quote:What makes New Orleans so special, and Katrina?
IMO (and you don't have to take this one seriously if you don't want to) it's so special because it gave the left-wing democrats ammunition to use against Bush and the Republicans. Our political structure has become "blame the other guy and point out what he did wrong" instead of "what can we do to work things out for the best." It's the same way with the war in Iraq. Everryone is so busy passing the buck or pointint out what people have done wrong, but no one wants to figure out a way to work together and resolve the mess. As long as there's a democrat who wants to run for office there will be a campaign that says what he did to help aid Katrina and what his opponent didn't do.

Also, New Orleans has the huge Mardi Gras celebration. Anything that threatens such a large gathering of beads and topless women has to be given the highest priority.
Alea Jacta Est - Caesar
Guild Wars account: Lurker Wyrm
Quote:Bonnie
Ivan Quite a few of my friends lost their homes, and much else.
Quote: Also, New Orleans has the huge Mardi Gras celebration. Anything that threatens such a large gathering of beads and topless women has to be given the highest priority.
At least that makes sense. :lol:

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Quote:...

Get On With It!

Meanwhile, in unreported news... ...families around me are rebuilding their homes after tornados swept through the region last week (Aug 25th 2006). Imagine that! Without FEMA! Without national disaster aid! Without $2000 prepaid debit cards to run off to Vegas with.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

We're all victims. If you're not constantly lamenting Katrina and 9/11, you're decidedly unamerican.

At least, that seems to be the sentiment the media is pushing.

I'm honestly sick of the whole thing. The "we will never forget" attitude is picking at the scab and preventing the wound from ever healing. In a couple years, Katrina will be exhumed through the box office, I'm sure. Someone will make some big money off of it and bumper stickers will be made.

I work in EMS. I don't walk around every day mourning those who lost their lives in 9/11. That makes me a bad person, I suppose.

Side note: Next time someone talks about 9/11 around you, ask them if they know what year it was. I've been shocked at how few can nail it down.
See you in Town,
-Z
Crap.

I'm running out of people to blame. What should I do?
With great power comes the great need to blame other people.
Guild Wars 2: (ArchonWing.9480) 
Battle.net (ArchonWing.1480)