The Needler
Well, I know this isn't a place for trading, but I just can't find the unique short bow The Needler. I know it's not rare at all, but all I've found after hours of killing Butcher and Leo, was Rainbow Cloak and some gold (and I remember pretty well that I have found it before, it dropped exactly from Butcher, a few times, well, more than 3 times; I used to throw them away).

So... the question is: does anybody here have this bow for trade? Or some kind of a warr/swift bow or any other good bow with "to hit" and "faster attack speed"?

Added: OK, I have one Needler now:) (thank you, Galbraith!)
But the point is that I just loved this bow so much that I thought it would be very good for my older rogue to have one, too:) So I still need it (or a similar bow)...

Griselda:

True. But it is just so unfair that when I need a Hidden shrine, it takes me at least 10-20 shrine runs to find it; when I need an Enchanted shrine, it takes me 20-40 runs; and when I want to find a low-lvl unique item, it's simply almost impossible (bad luck, I guess). So I knew that creating a topic here would be way, way better than spending half a month on Butcher runs.

Besides, somebody has already created a topic here asking for a CC. He didn't get any warnings, so I though it wouldn't hurt anybody if I did the same thing. I'm not asking for this bow, however, I want to buy it. What's wrong with in-game trading?
You realize that this isn't a trading forum, but decided to ignore this and post anyway?

I know that the D1 community is small, but I'd appreciate it if we could keep the trading off the boards anyways.

Thanks.
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
Quote:Besides, somebody has already created a topic here asking for a CC. He didn't get any warnings, so I though it wouldn't hurt anybody if I did the same thing.

A lot of communication here at the lounge is done through PM. Because of this, taking a new standard from another person's post - when you're explicitly asked not to in the rules - is a bad idea.

Quote:What's wrong with in-game trading?

Nothing at all. Just not here. Simple enough, eh?

Cheers,

Munk

Well, this is mostly Lemming's forum, but he asked me to keep an eye on it for the time being. It's entirely possible that we draw the line in slightly different places.

However, since both of us have been known to play restrictive variants, I don't know that you're going to get a lot of sympathy when it comes to you feeling that your need for a particular item is so great that that you need to post about it here. Can't find the item you want and don't want to do runs? My personal opinion would be that you should think about alternatives to the item you don't have. (Murphy says that as soon as you find an acceptable alternative, you'll probably get three Needlers the next week.)

Others will feel differently, of course, but please understant that most of us are quite used to doing without a wide variety of items, so it's a little bit harder to see the pressing need.

In the past, there used to be a lot of information available about what dlvls were the best to find particular items, and on average how many runs you'd need to do to find them. Sometimes taking a look at those numbers can help put the time spent on an item run into perspective. I don't know whether any of that information is still readily available any more, though.:( I'd have to look it up again.
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
Well, OK, no hard feelings. If you don't want any trading here - I'll just try Butcher, he will give me this bow for free, don't know how long it will take though...
You don't need a Needler. The only thing it adds besides Fast Attack is +50% to hit, which a decent rogue should have in abundance already.
Quote:You don't need a Needler. The only thing it adds besides Fast Attack is +50% to hit, which a decent rogue should have in abundance already.

The Needler also has a very small damage range, which can be very useful.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
I have tried this bow with my old rogue. Something is not right. My new damage is 70-72, damage with the savage/heavens bow was 88-105 or something like that (depends on other equip). That's why I actually thought I would be dealing more damage per second; well, I was wrong. This thing is really useless in Hell/Hell. I can't figure out why, but it just is so.
Have we sunk so far..nice diplomatic work griselda
Quote:The Needler also has a very small damage range, which can be very useful.

Sarcasm?
Quote:Have we sunk so far

Hm. Look, I'm just a simple guy, I started to play Diablo in 2006, I don't really know the rules. I know, however, that you belong to a very old and respected community blah blah blah, and I am just a noob. So be proud, but please remember: if a person wants to trade his items for another item, it doesn't mean he's a bastard who "has sunk so far".
Quote:Sarcasm?
I dont think so. Small DMG range is very handy for testing purposes. So if you need +ToHit / swiftness bow for testing, Needler is surely best choice.
Quote:Sarcasm?

Not at all.

I don't know about you, but I like to know exactly how many shots it is going to take to kill a monster. The smaller the range of damage (note I mean range, not the damage itself), the more chance there is that it will take the exact same number of shots to kill each monster of a particular type.

-W.C. Fields
Quote:Not at all.

I don't know about you, but I like to know exactly how many shots it is going to take to kill a monster. The smaller the range of damage (note I mean range, not the damage itself), the more chance there is that it will take the exact same number of shots to kill each monster of a particular type.

That's exactly what I was thinking, but then again it you'll also have to consider whether or not the enemy you are facing has a significant range in their possible HPs. Of course, mage-type monsters always have the same amount, so this would be especially good v. adovacates, so you aren't wasting an arrow that could have been used to start stun-locking another mage instead of spending it on a dead corpse. Then again, I use an emerald LWB, and even at 1-14 dmg range, I am certain it always takes the same number of arrows per advocate anyways.

If you want to optimize your damage output, you need to determine your damage/time. In the case of your Savage bow, it is: [88-105] / 0.35 s, or an average of 275 dmg/sec. For the needler, you have [70-72] / .30 s, or an average of 237 dmg/sec. Clearly, the savage bow is a better choice here. Also, you will be able to stun a greater number of unique monsters with a higher minimum damage. Add to that the fact that you get the heaven's suffix on the bow.

At higher levels, however, swift bows can do more damage over time than a normal bow. This time take a massive/swift LWB instead of the needler. With this hypothetical rogue, base character damage = 90. Swift bow damage is: [92-118] / .30 s, or an average of 347 dmg/sec. Savage/heavens produces: [97-127] / .35 s, or an average of 320 dmg/sec. So, in this example the swift bow is just a bit more damaging than the heavens bow, although you don't get the stat bonus if you opt for the swift. It only gets better with equipment and clvls.
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!
Quote:That's exactly what I was thinking, but then again it you'll also have to consider whether or not the enemy you are facing has a significant range in their possible HPs.

Indeed. However, I generally only play my chars up to low to mid 20s, which is why I'm quite fond of the Needler. When I do play my higher level chars, I usually opt for a +res all/+stats bow.

-W.C. Fields
Personally, I find a +%tohit bow better than a straight damage adder, be it a Mithril SWB or a Warrior's LWB of Swiftness. Then again, I also have to equip my rogue with gold jewels in addition to my Mithril/Swifty to be able to stunlock most of the 2000 life newbs that seem to think they don't need god mode to be safe from legits as long as they have GPOTW, Demonspike Amulet, and max resists. =D

My profession in D1 remains as more of a vigilante and duelist than a player, though. The game itself got boring when I figured out all of the variations of what was best for each character. Ironman is still fun, though, if anyone is interested. =D