Super Fight!
Quote:Hi,
When I was young I read Dullard Comics for a while -- but I outgrew them and quit reading comics until the Marvel of mature stories and art work pull me back years later. :P

EDIT: To clarify, I quit reading comics about '56. Back then, comics were pretty lame. Then about ten years later, I read the 'new' Marvel comics and they were a lot better, but I eventually got bored with them also. Too repetitive.

--Pete

Marvel really hasn't brought much new to their line since then I feel. Which isn't to say they haven't created quality stories, but most of the time they are nothing groundbreaking and unfortunately seem to fall prey to two dimensional characters that get too much play because they are soooo "cool". Venom? Carnage? Most of the 90s were a wasteland for Marvel just based on those two characters. "Hey Carnage! What are some of your character traits?" "I like to kill people..." Well at least they can't be accused of false advertising.

DC, although not maintaining the market share that Marvel does, seems to have been the trend setter for what stories are being told in comics for the last 30-40 years or so. In the late 70s much of the work done with the New Gods was nearly directly copied by marvel. In the 80s Frank Millar nearly single handedly revitalized the comic world with The Dark Knight Returns. The 90s mostly sucked for both companies but as vapid as Knightfall or the Death of Superman run were for DC things were even worse for Marvel (save for the often brilliant Age of Apocalypse). And the direction of present era of super hero comics can mostly be laid at the feet of DC's Identity Crisis. (Geoff John's work in Green Lantern the last few years has made that mythology one of the most vibrant, no pun intended, in all of comics.)

Having said all that, DCs "mature" line: Vertigo, is probably the most consistently superb line of comics on the stands and if you ever had any interest in getting back into comics or graphic novels I would start there. Y the Last Man can be found completed in graphic novel form now, and of their present runs Fables, Scalped, and DMZ are all wonderful. Finally, if there is anyone on these boards that reads comics and are not presently picking up The Unwritten every month you are doing yourselves great disservice. Don't miss this book.
Hi,

Quote: . . . if you ever had any interest in getting back into comics or graphic novels I would start there.
Thank you for the history and analysis. You make it sound interesting again, and right now I am tempted to give that medium another go. We'll see.:)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Quote:Batman and Robin were working late one night in the Bat cave creating the antidote for some diabolical nerve agent, when Robin suddenly interrupted their work balancing a chemical equation, saying, "Remember Batman, if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate!"
That even put a little smile on my face.
Quote:Do you even realize what the lounge is about?! This is a nerd haven for godsakes!

quote''The general discussion off-topic forum. Anything not related to the games covered on the Lurker Lounge belongs here.''''unquote

Indeed, comics are not related to the games covered on the rest of the forum.

I guess I just forgot what the LL is all about after reading kandrathe's somanied thread about what's wrong in the world. There are not many forums I know of (but I am not an internet die-hard) which have place for such nice civilized political discussion with people that are not idiots as the lounge.......so maybe nerds are the only civilized people.:).....so I will now also endorce the comic discussions:)
Quote:HEY NOW! Let's keep it PC!
Err, I mean, let's keep it DC.

Besides, IronMan could kick blondie's @$$.
IronMan is the Batman of Marvel.
The recent series of Thor leads us to believe otherwise. From Thor #3:

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa8/Dr_..._3_DCP_0016.jpg
Hugs are good, but smashing is better! - Clarence<!--sizec--><!--/sizec-->
Quote:For pure brute power, I think Hulk has every comic book character beaten soundly. His simplistic mind is his weakness. And what a weakness it is!

Superman dropped Hulk thanks to Fan voting. :D

Too bad fan voting wasn't enough to keep that piece of garbage Jason Todd dead in the DC universe.
Quote:Bruce of course.

Well he'd work Superman over like Tony Stark works over a case of booze.:)
Quote:But... if the argument is that Superman would lose against Batman because he's just such an old softie that he'd lose to someone several orders of magnitude less powerful (who is also a badass), then why would "rogue" Superman subscribe to the same crippling moral code? Wouldn't he be the kind of jerk who vaporizes people from a mile away using heat vision and light speed? Wouldn't he be the guy who hurls an asteroid at Batman at near-light speeds, regardless of the collateral damage? Or is rogue Superman the worst of both worlds - amoral enough to betray the JLA, but still a total chump who won't take one of the thousand obvious Batman-annihilating tactics available to him?

I mean, having a plan is great and all, but if I recall correctly, Germany had a plan to win WWI. A good plan is an advantage, but it certainly isn't an automatic win against a vastly more powerful opponent - even if you are Batman.

-Jester

The problem is you're assuming that Superman would target Batman first if he went rogue and not vice versa. If Superman went rogue, Batman wouldn't sit around and wait for Superman to come to him, he would find a way to go after Superman while limiting Superman's knowledge that he's coming. If anything, Batman is the ultimate paranoid, he thinks everyone is out to get him (except for a very small cadre of people) and plans accordingly. Don't assume Superman will get the drop on Batman, the opposite is more likely to happen.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Quote:Marvel really hasn't brought much new to their line since then I feel. Which isn't to say they haven't created quality stories, but most of the time they are nothing groundbreaking and unfortunately seem to fall prey to two dimensional characters that get too much play because they are soooo "cool". Venom? Carnage? Most of the 90s were a wasteland for Marvel just based on those two characters. "Hey Carnage! What are some of your character traits?" "I like to kill people..." Well at least they can't be accused of false advertising.

DC, although not maintaining the market share that Marvel does, seems to have been the trend setter for what stories are being told in comics for the last 30-40 years or so. In the late 70s much of the work done with the New Gods was nearly directly copied by marvel. In the 80s Frank Millar nearly single handedly revitalized the comic world with The Dark Knight Returns. The 90s mostly sucked for both companies but as vapid as Knightfall or the Death of Superman run were for DC things were even worse for Marvel (save for the often brilliant Age of Apocalypse). And the direction of present era of super hero comics can mostly be laid at the feet of DC's Identity Crisis. (Geoff John's work in Green Lantern the last few years has made that mythology one of the most vibrant, no pun intended, in all of comics.)

Having said all that, DCs "mature" line: Vertigo, is probably the most consistently superb line of comics on the stands and if you ever had any interest in getting back into comics or graphic novels I would start there. Y the Last Man can be found completed in graphic novel form now, and of their present runs Fables, Scalped, and DMZ are all wonderful. Finally, if there is anyone on these boards that reads comics and are not presently picking up The Unwritten every month you are doing yourselves great disservice. Don't miss this book.

I would posit that Marvel and DC are not the only game in town to look at. There are a number of independants that are also worth taking a look at. Dark Horse has some especially good series and a variety of there are the occasional series that make a splash and steal the thunder from the other players in the industry as well. Some of those series delve into some very mature and interesting topics.

Given, I haven't read comics since the mid 90s, but the 90s weren't as barren a time as one may think. While Marvel and DC may have dropped the ball then, new torch bearers came about and continued to make very good comics.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Quote:The problem is you're assuming that Superman would target Batman first if he went rogue and not vice versa. If Superman went rogue, Batman wouldn't sit around and wait for Superman to come to him, he would find a way to go after Superman while limiting Superman's knowledge that he's coming. If anything, Batman is the ultimate paranoid, he thinks everyone is out to get him (except for a very small cadre of people) and plans accordingly. Don't assume Superman will get the drop on Batman, the opposite is more likely to happen.

So, the logical first action for a rogue Superman to take would be to vaporize Batman before anybody knew any better. But I guess it doesn't always work that way. :)
<span style="color:red">Terenas (PvE)
Xarhud: Lvl 80 Undead Priest
Meltok: Lvl 70 Undead Mage
Ishila: Lvl 31 Tauren Druid
Tynaria: Lvl 66 Blood Elf Rogue
Quote:For pure brute power, I think Hulk has every comic book character beaten soundly. His simplistic mind is his weakness. And what a weakness it is!

The Green Hulk sure, the Grey Hulk, no way. The Grey Hulk was fairly scary, all the power of the Green Hulk, the intelligence of Banner, and no moral code.

Answers flow from across the Vaniverse:
Quote:Batman or Superman
In the Vaniverse, the question would be

Fatman or Supermarket

Unfortunately, Supermarket always wins. Furthermore, the daily losses are taking their toll (including Tollhouse Cookies) on Fatman, making him weaker and weaker over the years.

Fatman's super ability is to generate napkins from a pocket or from the Fatmobile. Fatman's wife does not believe this to be much of a super ability, but it has been useful.

Fatman's alter ego is an untalented aspiring comic living on a forum only a couple dozen people read.

-V
Quote:...Fatman's super ability is to generate napkins from a pocket or from the Fatmobile. Fatman's wife does not believe this to be much of a super ability, but it has been useful...
Not quite as useful as those times when she makes good use of the concussive forces delivered by Iron Pan.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Quote:I got into a minor arguement with a co-worker today over who would win in a fight:
Batman or Superman
I took the side of :ph34r:Batman:shuriken:
He went with "Superman pick up big rock, make Batman paste"

I got him to budge on a few points, but he still insists that it "wouldn't even be a contest"

What do you guys think?

superman and batman already fought. batman won. /thread.