Why Chicago lost the bid for the Olympics in 2016
According to Rev. Jesse Jackson, it was because of the bad press of the Bush years.

“There must be” resentment against America, the Rev. Jesse Jackson said, near the stage where he had hoped to give a victory speech in Daley Plaza. “The way we [refused to sign] the Kyoto Treaty, we mislead the world into Iraq. The world had a very bad taste in its mouth about us. But there was such a turnaround after last November. The world now feels better about America and about Americans. That’s why I thought the president’s going was the deal-maker.” Not that anyone needs to point this out, but Jesse Jackson is full of crap.

I rather believe the IOC reads the Chicago papers.

"Noted Chicago-based activist the Rev. Jesse Jackson, along with other ministers and civic leaders, activists and parents has called for action to end the violence.

Jackson is also calling for an end to requiring students to take two or three city buses to schools in bad areas where gangs are out of control, such as Fenger where Albert was a student. Jackson is calling for changes to allow students to attend the school that is the closest and safest to their home. Not all schools in Chicago are open enrollment."

The Chicago strategy was to use the 2016 games as a catalyst for urban renewal in some of the worst neighborhoods in Chicago. Probably the largest deciding factor was that a recent public poll conducted on whether Chicago residents support or not support the Olympics were almost evenly divided with 47% supporting and 45% not supporting the bid.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Latin America has only had a single Olympic games - and South America has had none at all. It was time. Chicago's bid was what it was, and Obama was probably doing the right thing to support it, but the IOC made the right decision. I don't think this had much to do with the US, and a lot to do with Latin America.

One might also point out that, whatever Chicago's reputation as a gang center, it lost to Rio de Janeiro. If gang violence was a decisive issue, you'd have thought maybe Tokyo might have won?

-Jester

Edit: Thanks, GG.
Quote:--snip--

The Chicago strategy was to use the 2016 games as a catalyst for urban renewal in some of the worst neighborhoods in Chicago. Probably the largest deciding factor was that a recent public poll conducted on whether Chicago residents support or not support the Olympics were almost evenly divided with 47% supporting and 45% not supporting the bid.

To me, the olympic games are to a city what a child is to a relationship: no matter how much of a good idea it seems at the time, it will not fix a broken situation; it will exacerbate existing problems and flaws will become more, rather than less prominent. the event/child will suffer for the lack of preparedness and coordination in the environment into which it is brought.

Yes, inviting the world into your backyard seems like it would spark investment, renewal and improvement, but if infrastructure is not already in place, 4 to 6 years is simply not enough time to prepare.
but often it happens you know / that the things you don't trust are the ones you need most....
Opening lines of "Psalm" by Hey Rosetta!
Quote:Latin America has never had a *single* Olympic games. It was time. Chicago's bid was what it was, and Obama was probably doing the right thing to support it, but the IOC made the right decision. I don't think this had much to do with the US, and a lot to do with Latin America.

One might also point out that, whatever Chicago's reputation as a gang center, it lost to Rio de Janeiro. If gang violence was a decisive issue, you'd have thought maybe Tokyo might have won?

-Jester

Pretty much sums up my thoughts. As soon as I saw the final four cities I was saying it would be Rio on the rare occasions it came up in conversation. Though saying Latin America never had one, depends on if you call Mexico Latin America or not. Certainly it's never been held in South America.

Chicago would have been cool for many reasons for me personally but I figured they weren't gonna get it.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
Quote:According to Rev. Jesse Jackson, it was because of the bad press of the Bush years.

“There must be” resentment against America, the Rev. Jesse Jackson said, near the stage where he had hoped to give a victory speech in Daley Plaza. “The way we [refused to sign] the Kyoto Treaty, we mislead the world into Iraq. The world had a very bad taste in its mouth about us.
Put another way, you can take the history of 2000-2008 as Bush telling the world "blow me." Jesse's turn of phrase now makes sense. No word on spit or swallor, nor is it germane to the IOC's decision.

I see this as an event that Rio won, not an event that Chicago lost. Come on, folks, the Olympics in Rio! This is PARTY PARTY PARTY for all involved.

Glass half empty, Jesse.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Quote:Pretty much sums up my thoughts. As soon as I saw the final four cities I was saying it would be Rio on the rare occasions it came up in conversation. Though saying Latin America never had one, depends on if you call Mexico Latin America or not. Certainly it's never been held in South America.
Whoops, so you're right, Mexico in '68. I should have remembered that - at the very least, it was a landmark event for graphic design. Mexico is certainly in Latin America - but not in South America. Same principle applies, but definitely my error.

-Jester
Quote:Latin America has never had a *single* Olympic games. It was time. Chicago's bid was what it was, and Obama was probably doing the right thing to support it, but the IOC made the right decision. I don't think this had much to do with the US, and a lot to do with Latin America.

-Jester
Sir, Latin America is not South America. Latin America had an Olympics in Mexico City, in 1968, if you consider Latin America to be those places speaking Latin based lingo, (such as the Barrio of Los Angeles.)

However, many conventions hold Mexico to be in North America, so, you might check the conventions that hold Latin America as being south of Mexico and north of Colombia, which is the convention most typically used.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
GG also just corrected me, and you're absolutely right. The original post has been amended to include the Mexico '68 games, not that it changes the argument much.

Also, I believe the region you are describing is Central America. Latin America is more or less south of Mexico, north of Antarctica, probably including most of the Carribean, and, if you're feeling quirky, maybe Quebec as well.

-Jester
Quote:GG also just corrected me, and you're absolutely right. The original post has been amended to include the Mexico '68 games, not that it changes the argument much.
Quite. I am pleased that South America finally rates as well as, well, South Freaking Korea.

Huh?
Quote: Also, I believe the region you are describing is Central America. Latin America is more or less south of Mexico, north of Antarctica, probably including most of the Carribean, and, if you're feeling quirky, maybe Quebec as well.
Yes, as it is part of the Papist Americas.:)

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
I think Obama was right to support it, but should have been indirectly. I think any sitting leader/figurehead of a country shouldn't be directly handling such things. At best it can just show favoritism (I have a feeling this is the #1 reason Chicago was cut so quickly). If his his wife had made the presentation instead of him that would have been the better idea. Him going as anything but audience support I found to be a little tacky (to say nothing of WHAT he said).

The rest I agree with though, South America should have a turn. We had the Olympics in the US less than a decade ago. For it to be an international event it should be in MULTIPLE countries in as many different regions of the world as possible.
Quote:Put another way, you can take the history of 2000-2008 as Bush telling the world "blow me." Jesse's turn of phrase now makes sense. No word on spit or swallor, nor is it germane to the IOC's decision.

I see this as an event that Rio won, not an event that Chicago lost. Come on, folks, the Olympics in Rio! This is PARTY PARTY PARTY for all involved.

Glass half empty, Jesse.
I liked the daily shows take on it.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]