Burning Crusade - Beta Winning Notifications Underway
Quote:[Betas are...] In fact, I imagine that they count on it as free flowing word-of-mouth publicity.
Are you telling me, that there's another purpose of betas beside that?
Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm!
Quote:Betas by their nature don't have NDA's. Alphas do, but not this kind of public beta. They know there's no way they'd be able to control the outflow of information once people are playing the game. In fact, I imagine that they count on it as free flowing word-of-mouth publicity.

First up, congrats Nobbie on getting your Beta spot.

Secondly, I thought that the winners got into the closed beta. From what I recall of the 1 closed beta I was involved in a few years ago, they still have a limited NDA. Once it gets to public beta, there is no NDA as public betas are more about getting people to buy the game/expansion.

Rick
Quote:Are you telling me, that there's another purpose of betas beside that?

Shh. If you keep pursuing this train of thought, people might realize that the Public Test Realms are a cost-free (and maybe even profit-generating, through monthly fees) way of Quality Assurance testing patches without having to spend a dime on labor!
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Quote:Secondly, I thought that the winners got into the closed beta. From what I recall of the 1 closed beta I was involved in a few years ago, they still have a limited NDA. Once it gets to public beta, there is no NDA as public betas are more about getting people to buy the game/expansion.

Dunno about other games. With the World of Warcraft, there were NDA's for alpha testers, but once the game went to beta (which is when I got in), all NDA's were lifted. The level cap was like 20 or 25 at the time.