BK Challange
As most of you know, in multiplayer Diablo keeps a count of how many of each specific monster class is killed. When Diablo is closed the count is lost. Thus is is easy for us to keep track of large quantities of the monsters we kill as long as the Diablo application remains open.

The creature with the highest amount of hitpoints (aside from The Lord Of Terror himself) is the Blood Kniget. This just so happens to be my favorite creature in Diablo not only because of his tank like properties, but because it is one of his honors to carry the sought after ring of the zodiac. He being one of the three (non-unique) monsters that can drop any of the higher magic rings makes him a prime target for ring collectors.

Roughly a year and a half or so back, I stumbled upon a screenshot of a valiant warrior forging battle against the Blood Knigets. It was then that I noticed his kill count, 3000. Awed at this seemingly enormous number I attempted to match his slaying count. I tried on several ocasions to no avail reaching just over 1000 particular try over a year ago. I tried once again this morning reaching 1000 again.

Thus my contest is born. I challange you to kill more Blood Knigets in one sitting than anyone else on the Lurker Lounge. To prove your count post a screenshot on this thread. If you do not have a way to host the image you can email it to me at Beef_Is_My_Name@yahoo.com and I will host it for you. He or She who has the highest amount of Blood Kniget kills in a single session two weeks from this posting will recieve a Jade ring of the Heavens 26%/14 as a prize and will from hence forth hold the grand title 'King of the Knigets'. If successful this competition will be held yearly and a new 'King of the Knigets' will be crowned.

[Image: screen49.png]

One of the hopeful results of this contest will be the discovery of many new peices of fine jewelry.

Everyone is welcome to participate. Please join the hunt.
And here is to good luck on your journey.
Cheers,
Dradkin
Just few suggestions:

Quote:As most of you know, in multiplayer Diablo keeps a count of how many of each specific monster class is killed. When Diablo is closed the count is lost. Thus is is easy for us to keep track of large quantities of the monsters we kill as long as the Diablo application remains open.

Most of people know youre right, but there is few ppl who know, youre not and count of killed monsters can be saved. I think its not good idea tell it here, because your competition is already running, so Im gonna write you a PM with instructions how to do it.

Quote:The creature with the highest amount of hitpoints (aside from The Lord Of Terror himself) is the Blood Kniget.

Little more than 29% Soul Burners have got more HPs than BK. IMO its even more challenge to kill SB than quite stupid BK, but fact is, that find BK is much easier. They are in every 16 and sometimes in 13 and 14.

Quote:Roughly a year and a half or so back, I stumbled upon a screenshot of a valiant warrior forging battle against the Blood Knigets. It was then that I noticed his kill count, 3000. Awed at this seemingly enormous number I attempted to match his slaying count. I tried on several ocasions to no avail reaching just over 1000 particular try over a year ago. I tried once again this morning reaching 1000 again.

*Saying, that guy who made that screenshot didnt know how to save kill counts*
Kill counts are carried through charracters and difficulties as long as Diablo session is running. You didnt speak about it, but (because of screenshot) I think youre talking about Hell diff BKs. But someone can just run Diablo, take his Mage and rage in Normal / Hell. Then he (may or may not) switch charracters, switch difficulty and make his photo. Actually, that screenshots would in most cases look as your does. I mean killing about x99x BKs on Normal diff and then pit - a - pat on Hell diff, so anniversary x000 BK is killed very close to stairs in dlvl full of monsters.

Yes indeed. Sadly enough, I must agree with the previous post. This is very easy to exploit in any of a number of ways. The most common is probably to just take a mage and kill them on normal difficulty, in which you can rack up several hundred, if not a full thousand, in an hour. Not much to it except knowing how to aim fireballs and having good resistances and decent armor if you get sloppy with teleports.

It seems your challenge may have been for Warriors only (the only mentioned characters were Warriors, I believe), which would make it quite a bit slower, if not harder. Yet even this facet can be circumvented. As said before, one can kill thousands of Blood Knights with the mage, log out, and return with the Warrior on Hell difficulty.

There is also a definite advantage, though this isn't really breaking your rules, to those who can leave their application on overnight.
So in order to run this contest, you will have to either
-allow all of these shortcuts.
-set up stringent rules and use the "honor system".
-have designated observers? I don't know if you'd get volunteers here, but it seems the easiest way to run this.

Perhaps there is someone out there with more technical knowledge who can make this contest a reality. The only way I know of to fix some of those would be a mod, and I don't want to even think about asking someone to do that.

--me
I forgive you for spelling Knigets wrong.
Yes I did know about all those ways that the kill count can be messed with. I did not mention them because I thought people would have to figure the fast way out themselves. However, now that you have told them the easy way im sure many would use it even if I did impose new rules and the honor system. My plan was to allow all of theese shortcuts in the first place, which is exactly what I will do. All that is except the saving of kill counts while restarting Diablo.

Why allow shortcuts? As stated at the end of my first post one of the goals is to get fancy new jewelry. With the chances of finding jewelry as they are, you should find 5 jewels for every 1000 Blood Knigets. But, seeing as the same number if not around 5% more advocates are killed the chances are thus doubled, 10 jewels for 1000 Blood Knigets. The whole purpose of this contest is for people to have fun fighting in a place where they have a good chance of finding a sought after peice of jewelry. Yes it would most likely be faster doing lazarus runs but that gets boring much quicker. I would also like to hear about anything interesting found on theese trips.

The prize is still up for grabs.
Happy Hunting,
Dradkin
Quote:Yes I did know about all those ways that the kill count can be messed with. I did not mention them because I thought people would have to figure the fast way out themselves. However, now that you have told them the easy way im sure many would use it even if I did impose new rules and the honor system. My plan was to allow all of theese shortcuts in the first place, which is exactly what I will do. All that is except the saving of kill counts while restarting Diablo.
So you start competition and let ppl find out what rules they should use. Thats strange. Well, me and Merlinios are possible participants (ok, ok.... not me :whistling:) so we can ask questions, right? Now its IMO much clearer. Even "exploit whatever you want" is rule. Maybe it was clear from beginning, but Im so stupid, that I wasnt able recognize its Mage Normal / Hell raging competition - even from your screenshot.

Quote:Why allow shortcuts?...........................
Question is "Why allow shortcuts and dont tell others about it?"

Quote:I forgive you for spelling Knigets wrong.

OK, thanx ...... hum, actually.....

One of the biggest Czech - English / English - Czech vocabulary knows words "knight" and "knights" well, but is strangely silent about words "kniget" and "knigets"

In JG is knight and knights mentioned in many places, but no mention about kniget or knigets.

Diablo is showing word "knight" in legend to monsters we are talking about. Even in your screenshot.

And let speak townfolk. They should say their opinoin too ...
Quote:Cain - gossip

The story of Wirt is a frightening and tragic one. He was taken from the arms of his mother and dragged into the labyrinth by the small, foul demons that wield wicked spears. There were many other children taken that day, including the son of King Leoric. The Knights of the palace went below, but never returned. The Blacksmith found the boy, but only after the foul beasts had begun to torture him for their sadistic pleasures

Quote:Ogden - initial speach to King Leoric quest

The village needs your help, good master! Some months ago King Leoric's son, Prince Albrecht, was kidnapped. The King went into a rage and scoured the village for his missing child. With each passing day, Leoric seemed to slip deeper into madness. He sought to blame innocent townsfolk for the boy's disappearance and had them brutally executed. Less than half of us survived his insanity...

The King's Knights and Priests tried to placate him, but he turned against them and sadly, they were forced to kill him. With his dying breath the King called down a terrible curse upon his former followers. He vowed that they would serve him in darkness forever...

This is where things take an even darker twist than I thought possible! Our former King has risen from his eternal sleep and now commands a legion of undead minions within the Labyrinth. His body was buried in a tomb three levels beneath the Cathedral. Please, good master, put his soul at ease by destroying his now cursed form...

Quote:Griswold - speach to King Leoric quest

I made many of the weapons and most of the armor that King Leoric used to outfit his knights. I even crafted a huge two-handed sword of the finest mithril for him, as well as a field crown to match. I still cannot believe how he died, but it must have been some sinister force that drove him insane!

And finally, what tells Lachdanan - King Leorics knight?
Quote:Lachdanan

Please, don't kill me, just hear me out. I was once Captain of King Leoric's Knights, upholding the laws of this land with justice and honor. Then his dark Curse fell upon us for the role we played in his tragic death. As my fellow Knights succumbed to their twisted fate, I fled from the King's burial chamber, searching for some way to free myself from the Curse. I failed...

I have heard of a Golden Elixir that could lift the Curse and allow my soul to rest, but I have been unable to find it. My strength now wanes, and with it the last of my humanity as well. Please aid me and find the Elixir. I will repay your efforts - I swear upon my honor.

Of course. Anyone can infirm some vocabulary or guide. But infirm even game we are talking about? Can anyone accuse Lachdanan - Knight of the Knights - from bad spelling his own mission - office? Oh, if you love Diablo, I beg you, dont do that :-))
Sekel,

Since Dradkin is quite clearly a literate fellow, I'm sure he is well aware of how the word is actually spelt. Why he then chooses to spell it the way he does is the next question. Though someone else will have to ask if they care, as I do not.

"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
I would guess that he's seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
Sekel, I did not mean to insult you or Merlinios ability to think. I just seem to have a very strange and uncontrolable sense of humor. Sorry if I was rude. Oh and the game previous to that screenshot with my warrior had left me with 994 Blood Kniget Kills which was very disapointing thus the newly entered level.
Quote:I would guess that he's seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Right you are Griselda, I was wondering how long it would take someone to recognize the reference. Good to know there are other Monty Python fans on the Lurger Lounge. Not only have I seen the film Monty Python And The Quest For The Holy Grail but I also have come across a copy of the PC game in a used book store. What fun it is including minigames such as 'Burn The Witch' 'Spank The Virgin' and 'Kill The Black Kniget' On a sadder note I seem to be unable to find the disc for it rendering it unplayable to me.

Quote:French Soldier: I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.
Quote:Minstrel: [singing] Brave Sir Robin ran away...
Sir Robin: *No!*
Minstrel: [singing] bravely ran away away...
Sir Robin: *I didn't!*
Minstrel: [singing] When danger reared its ugly head, he bravely turned his tail and fled. Yes, brave Sir Robin turned about, and valiantly, he chickened out. Bravely taking to his feet, he beat a very brave retreat. A brave retreat by brave Sir Robin
Quote:King Arthur: [after Arthur's cut off both of the Black Kniget's arms] Look, you stupid Bastard. You've got no arms left.
Black Kniget: Yes I have.
King Arthur: *Look*!
Black Kniget: It's just a flesh wound.

Ah, to comedy, cheers.
Dradkin
Quote:Sekel,

Since Dradkin is quite clearly a literate fellow, I'm sure he is well aware of how the word is actually spelt. Why he then chooses to spell it the way he does is the next question. Though someone else will have to ask if they care, as I do not.
LennyLen
As stickler of kingdom of Khanduras I cannot tolerate any belittleing vocables comming from kingdom of Westmarch nor other ones..... :-)

And now part because I feel shame....
I saw Monty Python And The Quest For The Holy Grail at least 4 times. Last time (about 1 or 2 years back) I was in Art cinema for best enjoyment. Unfortunatelly I absolutelly missed (or forgot) knigets joke.... Shame on me :blush:

OT:
I like Monty Pythons Life of Brian too. In my eyes its as funny as Holy Grail. Maybe even little more...
I like Meaning of life as well, but I think its not as good as previous two.... And Brasil would be good too, but Ive never saw even piece of it.....
so is anyone going to try this contest, or just sit here and talk about monty? so the point is to see who can leave their computer running the longest.
i had a 'quest' once i wanted to try, but never did: to play non stop for 24 hours straight. giving hourly updates on the old dsf, back when it was up. but it never happened, and diablo now is too boring of a game and too few ppl play it to bother to do a 24 hour marathon. if someone else wants to try, go for it.
anyone have any results yet? lets see a screen shot. when does the contest end?
Just a reminder to those who plan on competing in the BK challange, The competition ends in about 36 hours.

Live hard, Ride hard, Die fast
Dradkin
The efficiency with which I read this thread decreased every time Dradkin referenced Knigets, because it took my brain an additional few seconds to get to the end of the word, drawing out the first syllable as it was want to.

Now, if only I could figure out what a pig-dog is....

[quote name='Dradkin' date='Jul 10 2006, 03:49 PM' post='113433']
Just a reminder to those who plan on competing in the BK challange, The competition ends in about 36 hours.

Live hard, Ride hard, Die fast
Dradkin
"what kind off world is this..when wayward knights can go about sayin NIEE to old women.
so, who won the contest? i didn't. did anyone participate?
Quote:so, who won the contest? i didn't. did anyone participate?

I believe most people decided it was too (easy/exploitable/boring) to do, or that the rules did not provide enough structure. "Kill Blood Knights." Doesn't seem particularly entertaining. Maybe something like "Kill Blood Knights with a Muscle Mage in Hell" would have gotten a better rise.

--me