END DEGAUSS
*push button*

BZZZZZROWOWOWWWWoo

shake shake shake shake shake shake

*click*

Done. There you have it, my degauss.<!--fontc-->
<!--/fontc-->
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation - Henry David Thoreau

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to be invincible.

Chicago wargaming club
Menu -> Option

Degauss -> On +

+

Click

whizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
[topsy-turvy-bendy spectum]

Click

Option <- Menu <-- back to work
but often it happens you know / that the things you don't trust are the ones you need most....
Opening lines of "Psalm" by Hey Rosetta!
Search, search, where can that button be?

Oh, wait! LCD! No degauss for me:)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Quote:Oh, wait! LCD! No degauss for me:)

That would be true for me too if I were at home instead of at work :ph34r:
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation - Henry David Thoreau

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to be invincible.

Chicago wargaming club
Don't have a degauss button. But there's a little plate and hole on the side that reads "Shoot Here to Destroy". :mellow:
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
*PLICK*

Whumm
Whumm
Whumm
Whumm
Whumm
Whumm
Whumm

-click-
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
*click*

WowWo..

BOOM

Fizzle

[Image: broken_monitor.jpg]*

:(

* No monitors were actually harmed in the making of this degauss.
BEGIN DEGAUSS

cla-chunk

whirrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

*ominous pause*

whirrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

clunk clunk clunk

END DEGAUSS

(wait, that was the floppy drive on my Amiga 500)
The error occurred on line -1.
Quote:BEGIN DEGAUSS

*click*

BZzzzz

WOWwowWOW

ping!

*click*

END DEGAUSS

Took about 2-seconds once I found it in the monitor menu. What does a degauss do anyhow? I never really gave it much thought.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Degauss? It is to laugh.

I have a flatscreen LCD now! :P

*grins and ducks as lurkers throw things in envy*
--

"As for the future, your task is not to forsee it, but to enable it."

-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

--

I have a LiveJournal now. - feel free to post or say hi.

AIM: LordKasreyn
YIM: apiphobicoddball
Hi,

Quote:Took about 2-seconds once I found it in the monitor menu. What does a degauss do anyhow? I never really gave it much thought.
Oh, no! You interjected 'serious' in a fun thread. Ah, well, the damage has been done.

Basically, the electron beams that paint the pictures on the CRT screen are guided by electromagnetic coils. It can happen that parts of the monitor will pick up a (semi)permanent magnetic charge. If that happens, then the beam steering will be off, leading to fuzzy pictures and even distortion in extreme situations (like at a particle accelerator where there are *big* magnets). To remove these magnetic charges, an oscillating current is passed through one or more electric coils, causing an oscillating magnetic field which 'scrambles' the magnetic charges. The same principle is used for bulk erasing of magnetic tapes.

Modern CRTs are shielded much better and are made of much better materials so that they seldom if ever need degaussing. But if you want to see some of the effects of stray electromagnetic fields on your monitor, just put a desktop fan with a plastic case next to it. If you're lucky, your monitor will look like it's on an acid trip;)

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Quote:Hi,
Oh, no! You interjected 'serious' in a fun thread. Ah, well, the damage has been done.

Basically, the electron beams that paint the pictures on the CRT screen are guided by electromagnetic coils. It can happen that parts of the monitor will pick up a (semi)permanent magnetic charge. If that happens, then the beam steering will be off, leading to fuzzy pictures and even distortion in extreme situations (like at a particle accelerator where there are *big* magnets). To remove these magnetic charges, an oscillating current is passed through one or more electric coils, causing an oscillating magnetic field which 'scrambles' the magnetic charges. The same principle is used for bulk erasing of magnetic tapes.

Modern CRTs are shielded much better and are made of much better materials so that they seldom if ever need degaussing. But if you want to see some of the effects of stray electromagnetic fields on your monitor, just put a desktop fan with a plastic case next to it. If you're lucky, your monitor will look like it's on an acid trip;)

--Pete

Like, wow man! To many window panes! :w00t:
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."