Movie scenes that you cannot watch?
I was talking with a friend of mine about M. Night Shyamalamadingdong's Unbreakable today. He hadn't seen it and I was telling him about Sam Jackson's character "Mr. Glass", and I inwardly cringed when I described the scene with him falling down the stairs.

There are some scenes in movies that I cannot stomache for various reasons, and I'd like to hear about others.

American History X
Edward Norton's character "curb stomps" a poor soul. This was an absolutely horrifying thing to watch. This is easily the most gut-turning thing ever put to film.

Saving Private Ryan
A German soldier very slowly drives a knife into an American soldier's chest, while softly whispering to him. I've seen Saving Private Ryan a few times, but I've only watched that scene once.

Saw 2
Woman is thrown into a pit of hypodermic needles, and flails around searching for a key. UGH!

Pet Sematary
Zombie child thinks of new and inventive ways to slice up an elderly neighbour.

Cast Away
Figure skate versus toothache. Oh god no.
Between the curb stomp scene in American History X, Sam Jackson falling down the stairs in Unbreakable (I still cringe at the close-up shot of his lower leg) and the death of Adam Goldberg's character in Saving Private Ryan (especially since the German soldier is whispering such creepy stuff) I think you pretty much hit the three "cringe moments" that immediately jump to mind.

The scene in 28 Days Later where the main character kills a guy by pushing his thumbs through his eyes is pretty damn brutal as well and definitely makes me cringe.
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
Top Gun - when they kill Goose - I flip the channel or fast forward every time

[edit] had to add it:
Quote:Aliens: I can't stand the chestbursters.
The worst is the first one, in Alien, especially when it bursts through, looks around and screeches at everyone! *shudder*
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
Quote:Top Gun - when they kill Goose - I flip the channel or fast forward every time
That's definately in the "ooh, that's gotta hurt" catagory.

If there's one thing I'm squeamish of, it's broken limbs. That's about it, I can happily watch pretty much anything else, regardless of how disgusting or bloody it happens to be (I find a grim sort of enjoyment in Fight Club's "I wanted to destroy something beautiful" pummeling of Angel Face), but the moment an arm or a leg gets snapped, I cringe.

In fact, so successful am I at erasing such moments from my memory, I can't recall a single scene in a film where someone's leg or arm gets broken.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
I can't stand to watch The Sound of Music. The hills are alive... and I am gone.
Curb stomp was painful, but that was a great movie with a powerful message, I believe.

The scene in Sin City where Hartigan neuters that yellow creature made me cringe and cross my legs.

Aliens: I can't stand the chestbursters.

Saw. The part where the guy saws his foot off even though they don't show much, I still can't watch it.

I agree that I can barely stand to look at the Ice skate vs. molar scene in Cast Away.

I've seen plenty of gory movies, but I can't seem to remember any of them. I guess I've become desensitized to violence after seeing so much of it in moview, videogames, TV, newspapers, etc. I'll have to think of some more later.

EDIT: Just thought of another. Pulp Fiction where Travolta stabs the woman in the heart with that giant needle. Yikes!
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation - Henry David Thoreau

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to be invincible.

Chicago wargaming club
I watched Equilibrium last night, and there's this one scene that had me curled in a little ball. The main character breaks random badguy's arm at the elbow by kicking it in the direction that it's not supposed to bend, complete with little blood spray.

Ouchie.
Terenas
-Deelia - Troll Priest, Level 25
-Jingya - Troll Shaman, Level 10 (bank)

Eldre'Thalas
-Reddahlia - Dwarven Hunter, Level 60
-Kyleah - Dwarven Warrior, Level 11 (bank)
Hi,

Quote:There are some scenes in movies that I cannot stomache for various reasons, and I'd like to hear about others.
Not a movie, but I was unable to watch any scene in 24 where someone got tormented. I have no problems watching violent or gory scenes, where people's limbs break or even get severed, but I found myself unable to watch someone tormenting somebody else. :ph34r:There had been way too much of these scenes in the four seasons of 24 I've seen so far, by the way...

Apart from the torture scenes in 24, I also find myself flipping the channel or looking away if the protagonist of a movie suffers a very embarassing scene or makes a complete fool out of himself in front of other people. What other people find amusing, I find impossible to watch - don't know why. I can't think of an example right now - maybe my mind subconsciously blocks out these scenes :blink:.

-Kylearan
There are two kinds of fools. One says, "This is old, and therefore good." And one says, "This is new, and therefore better." - John Brunner, The Shockwave Rider
Quote:I watched Equilibrium last night, and there's this one scene that had me curled in a little ball. The main character breaks random badguy's arm at the elbow by kicking it in the direction that it's not supposed to bend, complete with little blood spray.

Ouchie.

I tried searching for a piece of movie on internet but I couldn't find it.
It is something like you describe here but only it happend with a leg.....and it is real....

A dutch football player saw his career ending because of a violent tackle by an opponent....and because it was in a professional football game it was filmed........

Incredibly difficult to watch. The guy is still busy with a lawsuit to try to get a compensation for not being able to play football anymore.
There is also that video of the Ultimate Fighting from a long time ago (about 4 years now, I believe) of the guy kicking the opponent's leg and breaking his shin. He steps back down on the foot and it just doesn't bend the right way, you need to see it.:D

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger, and at the rate I'm going, I'm going to be invincible.

Chicago wargaming club
Quote:Apart from the torture scenes in 24, I also find myself flipping the channel or looking away if the protagonist of a movie suffers a very embarassing scene or makes a complete fool out of himself in front of other people. What other people find amusing, I find impossible to watch - don't know why. I can't think of an example right now - maybe my mind subconsciously blocks out these scenes :blink:.

-Kylearan

I'm with you. Two things I hate in movies/TV are predictability and embarassment as comedy. In my book though, "embarassment as comedy" does have a saving throw vs. turn-off if the embarassed character has a diffusing line and the moment passes quickly (2d6, save succedes if roll is less than the effort of finding the remote). I think this is derived from my memories of "being that guy." Rather than getting the urge to laugh at the character, I instantly recall and relive the "get out of the room" urge, and usually just give in.

Regarding predictability, I avoide most "romantic comedies" because I know the formula: a and b begin relationship, hurdle encountered relationship strained, feelings mount hurdle overcome. I was so disappointed by the end of "Garden State." I thought that given some of the other elements in the movie Braff would throw off the "what was I thinking, I don't need to be anywhere but here" cliche ending, but no, at the last minute, he has to walk back in frame. Bastard.
but often it happens you know / that the things you don't trust are the ones you need most....
Opening lines of "Psalm" by Hey Rosetta!
For me, it's mostly needles. The scene in SAW2 is bad, but not as bad as Requiem for a Dream. That has to be the hardest (good) movie I ever watched.
-MB
-< You can only be young once, but you can be immature forever >-
Quote:For me, it's mostly needles. The scene in SAW2 is bad, but not as bad as Requiem for a Dream. That has to be the hardest (good) movie I ever watched.
-MB

I go weak in the knees and loose it at the sight of needles, but only when it's in person LoS. TV I can do, unless it's facial week on the surgury channel. Knee surgury on TV okay. Occular surgury on TV -- :ph34r:
but often it happens you know / that the things you don't trust are the ones you need most....
Opening lines of "Psalm" by Hey Rosetta!
Quote:I tried searching for a piece of movie on internet but I couldn't find it.
It is something like you describe here but only it happend with a leg.....and it is real....

A dutch football player saw his career ending because of a violent tackle by an opponent....and because it was in a professional football game it was filmed........

Incredibly difficult to watch. The guy is still busy with a lawsuit to try to get a compensation for not being able to play football anymore.

About 10-12 years ago, a running back (I want to say Napoleon Kaufman, but I'm sure the spelling is wrong) got tackled and you can see his knee bent the wrong way at about 30-45 degrees. This was on Monday night football, and I got to see it live, and then on replay. It was disturbing.

And a few years ago, a receiver for the broncos (Ed Macaffrey, again spelling probably wrong) broke an arm on a play. As he's going down you could see the two ends of his forearm moving in different directions in a way that arms normally don't.
<span style="color:red">Terenas (PvE)
Xarhud: Lvl 80 Undead Priest
Meltok: Lvl 70 Undead Mage
Ishila: Lvl 31 Tauren Druid
Tynaria: Lvl 66 Blood Elf Rogue
I can't stand any type of surgery stuff on tv..that $&*# is real. Movies aren't real and I can deal with it. But when they do that stuff on tv, the blood and opening someone's bodt and pointing saying, "OMFG look at his liver do the hula!" I can't take it because I know it's real.

Chicago wargaming club
Quote:I tried searching for a piece of movie on internet but I couldn't find it.

The worst sports injury I saw was Clint Malarchuk getting his throat cut by a skate blade. He was playing goalie and a player crashed into him and his jugular was cut.

This Google Video link is kinda gross

Malarchuk survived and was playing again shortly afterwards, but holy cow that is a scary thing to watch.
Why do I have this irresistable desire to click on every link put in front of me?

That was pretty gross. You could see the blood actually spurting out of his throat and it seems like no one was paying attention to the goalie when it happened, they were more worried about breaking something up behind the net.

Chicago wargaming club
Quote:Apart from the torture scenes in 24, I also find myself flipping the channel or looking away if the protagonist of a movie suffers a very embarassing scene or makes a complete fool out of himself in front of other people. What other people find amusing, I find impossible to watch - don't know why. I can't think of an example right now - maybe my mind subconsciously blocks out these scenes :blink:.

-Kylearan

Everytime i watch Zoolander I have to walk out when he goes to accept Hansel's award. Which is odd because i can enjoy laughing at how stupid he is for the rest of the movie. Watching that scene, however, makes me wish i would die in a freak gasoline fight accident.
Quote:The worst sports injury I saw was Clint Malarchuk getting his throat cut by a skate blade. He was playing goalie and a player crashed into him and his jugular was cut.

This Google Video link is kinda gross

Malarchuk survived and was playing again shortly afterwards, but holy cow that is a scary thing to watch.
LT hitting and breaking Joe Theisman's leg . . . replayed in slo mo over and over again on TV.

Ugh.

The rapid situps in the original Exorcist. I walked out of the theater.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Quote:I also find myself flipping the channel or looking away if the protagonist of a movie suffers a very embarassing scene or makes a complete fool out of himself in front of other people.

Haha, I do the same thing... and here I thought I was the only one.

I thought of another cringe-worthy moment: Ben Stiller pulling his zipper up over his "equipment" in There's Something About Mary.
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London