Hey, did anybody ever notice
That the music played in Carrie is also played in Kill Bill?

In that anime scene, where the little girl is seeing her parents killed, the beautiful music playing has the same riff of notes being played in the opening sequence of Carrie, as well as other parts of the film. The tune is the same, but then it fades in to another melody.

Sort of like how that new Red Hot Chili Pepper's song is ripping off Tom Petty.
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Quote:Sort of like how that new Red Hot Chili Pepper's song is ripping off Tom Petty.

That one has sure made it's way around the internet, but I don't entirely buy it. It's not that I don't buy that RHCP ripped off the Tom Petty guitar riff, because I think that much is pretty obvious. And since both songs had the same producer, it was probably even intentional. I'm just not convinced that it was Tom's riff to rip off in the first place. I opened up a blues keyboard book, and it took me about 5 minutes to find an A-G-D chord progression. In fact, the book teaches how to imitate piano licks in the style of various Chicago blues artists in transposed forms of this progression. So any claims that this is not a traditional blues progression are more or less bogus. And the rhythm and style of the riff in question is not very distinctive... I've heard many people say it sounds like the Sweet Home Alabama riff, for instance. Give me a million dollars in legal research fees, and I bet I can find someone who played this exact riff before Tom Petty.

The vocal melodies of the two songs are similar only in style but not in any specific way, and the choruses of the two songs have very different melodies and different chordings. At the end of the day the only thing I think you can say about the two songs is that they are of generally similar style and share a very basic, 3-chord riff. (They also have bass drum on count 1 and snare on counts 2 and 4...) If that's enough to be considered a ripoff, then you can probably throw out all of your blues rock and punk rock albums right now, because most of these 2 chord or 3 chord rhythm parts probably aren't unique. Even in classical music, rhythmic harmony parts are often nearly identical to one another. If they had used the melody from the chorus of Mary Jane's Last Dance though, they'd be fried.

That's my take on that one. I haven't seen Kill Bill, so I can't really comment on the main topic of your post.
I have found that Quentin Tarantino is very good at blending music into movies in general. He chooses great tracks, puts them in appropriate situations and then really gets the maximum worth from them.

Kill Bill was obviously a fantastic soundtrack (although no comment specifically as to Carrie since I haven't seen that movie in ages and don't have a copy laying around). Pulp Fiction had Jungle Boogie, Son of a Preacher Man, Girl, You'll be a Woman Soon, etc.

Probably the only (modern) movie I can think of at this moment that used music better than Pulp Fiction or Kill Bill was Donnie Darko.
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
Quote:Sort of like how that new Red Hot Chili Pepper's song is ripping off Tom Petty.
I can't remember the name of the band in question, but I heard this on the radio, and the DJs actually played a different song from before Tom Petty that had the exact same sound to it as both songs in question. They jokingly hinted that he "stole" it from said band.
Stormrage
Raelynn - Gnome Warlock - Herbalism/Alchemy
Markuun - Tauren Shaman - Skinning/Leatherworking
Aredead - Undead Mage - Tailoring/Enchanting

Dethecus
Gutzmek - Orc Shaman - Skinning/Leatherworking
Quote:Probably the only (modern) movie I can think of at this moment that used music better than Pulp Fiction or Kill Bill was Donnie Darko.

O great movie Donnie Darko,....but about Tarantino. Maybe he used the song on purpose....he also likes to use scenes from other movies..so maybe also songs.
My baby shot me down by the Audio Bullys and Nacy Sinatra is also great..