Whatever Happened to the Emerald Dream?
This article showing the game in various stages of its creation is really neat, even with some of its simplistic negativity. (Note to author: Having a map doesn't mean all the content in in the zone is created). Note that not all of the images may come up the first time you load the page, but the images are not broken links. Just right click on any image that doesn't come up the first time and open it in a new window to view it. It seems like the image server doesn't want a given user to download too many images all at once.

The article makes makes me wonder whatever happened to the Emerald Dream. If the level designers were working on it as early as 2003, why haven't we seen it, yet?
Quote:This article showing the game in various stages of its creation is really neat, even with some of its simplistic negativity. (Note to author: having a map doesn't mean all the content in in the zone is created). Note that not all of the images may come up the first time you load the page, but the images are not broken links. Just right click on any image that doesn't come up the first time and open it in a new window to view it. It seems like the image server doesn't want a given user to download too many images all at once.

The article makes makes me wonder whatever happened to the Emerald Dream. If the level designers were working on it as early as 2003, why haven't we seen it, yet?

I'm still looking through stuff but this image from the little deal: http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/8095/16...Playground1.jpg

Just screamed Bard's Tale at me. One of the streets of Skara Brae
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
If I'm not mistaken, isn't Emerald Dream going to be part of the expansion? Thought i had read it somewhere but can't really remember.
Currently enjoying liberating the land of Sanctuary

[Image: arethor.jpg]
Stormrage - US (Inactive)
Jeez, you weren't kidding about the negativity.

Quote:Before the game was released, Scarlet Monestary was a single instance, but Blizzard butchered it into three instances instead, just before the game went retail.

Yah, it was BUTCHERED into three wings. Nevermind that the set-up is way more convenient for players, and is one of the genuinely successful experiments Blizzard has done with their instance dungeons. I hope Blizzard can butcher more instances like that in the future.:blush:

For all the silly seething though, that's a really cool website. I've always wanted to know a bit more about the alpha and beta periods of the game and seeing untextured SM become textured SM was really cool.

I hope they can work out guild and player housing in the future too.
Quote:This article showing the game in various stages of its creation is really neat, even with some of its simplistic negativity. (Note to author: Having a map doesn't mean all the content in in the zone is created). Note that not all of the images may come up the first time you load the page, but the images are not broken links. Just right click on any image that doesn't come up the first time and open it in a new window to view it. It seems like the image server doesn't want a given user to download too many images all at once.

Maybe, like Diablo II's Assassin, they had planned for it "big picture" but due to timelines were well aware that it would be worked on after release for expansion. Eat the elephant one bite at a time, and roast the haunch as you eat the leg roasts.

Is the author of this site possibly in violation of NDA's, if he was in on the alpha?

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Quote:Is the author of this site possibly in violation of NDA's, if he was in on the alpha?

Occhi

I believe that alpha testers were released from their NDA obligations once the beta began.
Quote:Yah, [scarlet monastery] was BUTCHERED into three wings.

How many wings? ;-)

They're even adding a new boss to the One That Nobody Ever Goes Into, presumably in the hope that people will remember about it ;-)
You don't know what you're talking about.
Quote:How many wings? ;-)

They're even adding a new boss to the One That Nobody Ever Goes Into, presumably in the hope that people will remember about it ;-)

Heh, yeah, I noticed that, too, but if you look at the alpha scarlet monastery map, it doesn't include the graveyard. So, yes, the alpha instance was split into three wings and then a fourth wing was added -- which would also explain why the quest to kill the SM bosses doesn't include venturing into the graveyard instance. I wish they would do more with the SM graveyard instance, and I'm happy that they will add this new boss to create some momentary excitement. The biggest draw about the SM graveyard right now is that it's a great way to farm gravemoss. :(
Quote:How many wings? ;-)

If they would add quests that took you into the graveyard for alliance more people would remember about it. :)And actually I don't really recall the horde quests in there either, though I've only recently gotten my second horde to SM levels and I've had 5 alliance toons that have done the place so I know alliance stuff a lot better.
---
Quote:If they would add quests that took you into the graveyard for alliance more people would remember about it. :)And actually I don't really recall the horde quests in there either, though I've only recently gotten my second horde to SM levels and I've had 5 alliance toons that have done the place so I know alliance stuff a lot better.

for Horde, talk to the guy on the torture table ;P
--Mav
Quote:for Horde, talk to the guy on the torture table ;P

Yeah he starts a quest but I have vague memories of a quest leading you to there as well. Maybe I'm just thinking of the kill X and collect Y quest that you can do outside too.
---
I have nothing concrete to back this up, but I'm fairly sure I read something from early beta that showed the "life plan" of World of Warcraft, inclusding its planned three expansions.

Expansion 1: Outland
Expansion 2: Undermine and the Emerald Dream
Expansion 3: Northrend.

Seems to have stayed true so far :D
BANANAMAN SEZ: SHUT UP LADIES. THERE IS ENOF BANANA TO GO AROUND. TOOT!
Quote:This article showing the game in various stages of its creation is really neat, even with some of its simplistic negativity. (Note to author: Having a map doesn't mean all the content in in the zone is created). Note that not all of the images may come up the first time you load the page, but the images are not broken links. Just right click on any image that doesn't come up the first time and open it in a new window to view it. It seems like the image server doesn't want a given user to download too many images all at once.

Well, here is an interesting tidbit from new features on the Blizzard's Burning Crusade official page:

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/burningcrus...hall/index.html

Quote:"- Many new high-level dungeons to explore in Azeroth, Outland, and elsewhere"

So perhaps this "elsewhere" is Emerald Dream? There is no other place that I can think of that would fall under that category - even the Caverns of Time would fall under "Azeroth", just the past version of it.
Quote:The article makes makes me wonder whatever happened to the Emerald Dream. If the level designers were working on it as early as 2003, why haven't we seen it, yet?
Cute article. I loved the shots of the old Ironforge layout, where you'd see something (like the Mystic Ward) and think "ok, now how the hell do I get up there?" :)

But I still recall in beta dying in the Dor'Danil Barrow Den in Ashenvale, releasing, and appearing as a ghost in the Emerald Dream. I explored it for a while as a ghost before popping a ticket to a GM to be freed. Wasn't much there at the time; it was just a big square zone with hills and "trees."

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Quote:Well, here is an interesting tidbit from new features on the Blizzard's Burning Crusade official page:

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/burningcrus...hall/index.html
So perhaps this "elsewhere" is Emerald Dream? There is no other place that I can think of that would fall under that category - even the Caverns of Time would fall under "Azeroth", just the past version of it.

Not necessarily. Elsewhere could mean CoT as that is not Azeroth as it is now, but as it was then. To mean, when they say Azeroth, they mean Azeroth since the events of the past have occured to mold it into it's current forum.
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Quote:Not necessarily. Elsewhere could mean CoT as that is not Azeroth as it is now, but as it was then. To mean, when they say Azeroth, they mean Azeroth since the events of the past have occured to mold it into it's current forum.

Thing is, the Caverns of Time starts out in Azeroth, so by and large it's a dungeon located in Azeroth. Blizzard is implying that there is a separate place/area that will have dungeon(s) in it.

Caverns of Time could work if Blizzard said that in reality CoT is located in Nether, and put dungeons inside the instance of Caverns of Time, but it seems a bit of a stretch.
Azeroth is also the name of the southern most continent in the Eastern Kingdoms

So Medivahs tower would count as being in Azeroth, and CoT would be beoynd.
Quote:Azeroth is also the name of the southern most continent in the Eastern Kingdoms

So Medivahs tower would count as being in Azeroth, and CoT would be beoynd.

Pretty sure the world is known as Azeroth too though...
Yes, as the link I supplied said. It could go either way. It's all speculation anyhow.
That's a great collection of screenshots! I love the old alpha shots.

It's cute how little the guy knows about what goes into producing MMO content (or most any game really). That, or he's taking the "I shall ignore anything contrary to my opinion because it's cool to hate" route.