Forum Sticky Recommendation
Dear Lurkers:

Soccer/football is about to commence its quadrennial World Cup. :w00t: I think a "sticky" thread for the duration of the Cup play is a good idea, however, I may overestimate how popular FIFA's grand tournament is among Lurkers.

This thread's purpose: to learn the Lurker response to

"A FIFA World Cup sticky thread is"
  1. good idea <>
  2. not worth the bother.<>
    [st]
    Thanks for your thoughts, in advance.

Discussing Cup topics such as Diego Maradonna's "Hand of God" goal some years ago, or the hose job the Dutch got from the officials (against Brazil) two cups ago, should be reserved for a World Cup thread, not this "should we or shouldn't we" thread.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
c. Incredibly destructive.

FORUM SOCCER HOOLIGANS, WOOO!
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek
Hi,

Quote:"A FIFA World Cup sticky thread is"
  1. good idea <>
    [st]
How about "Unnecessary"? Since active threads get bumped, what would happen to a World Cup thread would depend on the interest the Lurkers have in it, just like any other topic. If there is a lot of interest, it will stay high, if there isn't, it will fade away. The Lurkers will vote where the thread belongs with their posts and their time.

Just my 2 lira.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Being Welsh, and constantly expected by the English media to support England, whether I want to or not (I'd rather not), then I was hoping there would be at least one place I could frequent on a regular basis where the World Cup wasn't being discussed.

The moment England gets knocked out, that's fine, I'll discuss it then, but otherwise I want nothing to do with this event.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Quote:Soccer/football is about to commence its quadrennial World Cup. :w00t: I think a "sticky" thread for the duration of the Cup play is a good idea, however, I may overestimate how popular FIFA's grand tournament is among Lurkers.

Between the Stanley Cup finals starting tonight, and the Red Sox barely holding an edge over the Yankees, I'm all set with sports for the next month (and 9 days). I'll certainly end up seeing some highlights, since Sportscenter is sure to cover it, but I don't forsee tuning into any WorldCup action.

Cheers,

Munk
Quote:How about "Unnecessary"? Since active threads get bumped, what would happen to a World Cup thread would depend on the interest the Lurkers have in it, just like any other topic. If there is a lot of interest, it will stay high, if there isn't, it will fade away. The Lurkers will vote where the thread belongs with their posts and their time.

I agree. We can trust Lurkers more than most forum-goers to keep everything in the relevent thread, which would be the main need for a World Cup sticky. We have 25 posts on the hockey playoffs thread so far without a sticky, and it has just now dropped off the front page. With the current pace of The Lounge, it would only take a moderate amount of interest to keep a World Cup thread on the front page throughout the competition.

Personally, I'm too interested in Shaq vs. Dirk to be thinking about soccer right now. Oh yeah, and somehow my Detroit Tigers have the best record in baseball?!? So I probably won't be watching much of the World Cup. But that's neither here nor there.
Quote:Personally, I'm too interested in Shaq vs. Dirk to be thinking about soccer right now. Oh yeah, and somehow my Detroit Tigers have the best record in baseball?!?

Since when did Dirk become such a dominant player? Ugh. I can remember when he was a scrawny 7 footer who shot from outside the ring. Watching the 50 point game he had against the Suns blew me away. As for the Tigers, I can quite figure that one out myself, but enjoy the wins just the same:)

I apologize for the OT. This is the reason why WorldCup isn't top on my list to watch :whistling:

Cheers,

Munk

YOU HAVE TO PICK A LETTER, PETE.
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek
Hi,

Quote:YOU HAVE TO PICK A LETTER, PETE.
Shh, not so loud, I'm trying to take a nap.:)

OK, if I have to, I'll pick 'F' (and the number 9). Do I get to meet the count?;)

--Pete

Quote:We have 25 posts on the hockey playoffs thread so far without a sticky, and it has just now dropped off the front page.

Thanks for the reminder for me to bump that thread.
The "sticky" option is there for forum administrators to Abuse Their Power and randomly select threads that they feel are "really important dammit" and force them to the top of the forum where they can be safely ignored by everyone else.

Since this thread actually has some content of interest and/or use to people, I'd hate to kill it like that. :w00t:

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Quote:The "sticky" option is there for forum administrators to Abuse Their Power and randomly select threads that they feel are "really important dammit" and force them to the top of the forum where they can be safely ignored by everyone else.

Since this thread actually has some content of interest and/or use to people, I'd hate to kill it like that. :w00t:

-Bolty
Besides, who wants to drink from a sticky world cup. Too many germs.

Although, I would like to see Occhi abuse his power. :D
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Quote:Being Welsh, and constantly expected by the English media to support England, whether I want to or not (I'd rather not), then I was hoping there would be at least one place I could frequent on a regular basis where the World Cup wasn't being discussed.

The moment England gets knocked out, that's fine, I'll discuss it then, but otherwise I want nothing to do with this event.
English people find this attitude quite bizarre. If England were not in the World Cup but Wales was, we'd be supporting Wales. I suppose it is another symptom of the petty nationalism that leads people to burn holiday homes in Wales.
Hi,

Quote:Soccer/football is about to commence its quadrennial World Cup.
Yes! Only three days to go, and then we will have a BBQ each day until the 9th of July - looking so much forward to that! Will try to drink beer from the respective countries that are playing too, although that might get complicated in some cases...:)The Japanese have their training camp in my home town, and the players from the Ivory Coast arrived here yesterday to prepare themselves for the tournament, too. I would have preferred our town to be the host of Brasilia (to get to see their fans... :wub:), but ah well...

Back on-topic, I have to agree with Pete that a sticky thread is unnessecary though.

-Kylearan
There are two kinds of fools. One says, "This is old, and therefore good." And one says, "This is new, and therefore better." - John Brunner, The Shockwave Rider
Quote:Dear Lurkers:

Soccer/football is about to commence its quadrennial World Cup. :w00t: I think a "sticky" thread for the duration of the Cup play is a good idea, however, I may overestimate how popular FIFA's grand tournament is among Lurkers.

This thread's purpose: to learn the Lurker response to

"A FIFA World Cup sticky thread is"
  1. good idea <>
    [st]Thanks for your thoughts, in advance.

Discussing Cup topics such as Diego Maradonna's "Hand of God" goal some years ago, or the hose job the Dutch got from the officials (against Brazil) two cups ago, should be reserved for a World Cup thread, not this "should we or shouldn't we" thread.

Occhi

I wanted to ask what a sticky thread was...but than I read Bolty's post.

Anyway, there will be a thread....and I will keep it running (as long as the netherlands are in). I personally also am an american sports fan (I visited NBA and MLB-matches, and would really like to see some live NFL adn NHL) however, the game of football (or soccer as you like) is really something else (like no sissy time-outs). Although people are working hard on letting commerce destroy the game (anybody heard about the scandal involving Juventus?).

In the real thread, Occhi, I will explain to everybody why Brazil doesn't deserve to win World Cups anymore.

eppie
Quote:English people find this attitude quite bizarre. If England were not in the World Cup but Wales was, we'd be supporting Wales. I suppose it is another symptom of the petty nationalism that leads people to burn holiday homes in Wales.
It's basically down to perceived English arrogance. It's not just localised to Wales; hell, go to Scotland, Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland and you'll get the same attitude.

Consider this: Of all the teams participating in the World Cup, only one has actually planned and prepared their victory parade: England.

England last won the World Cup in 1966. Forty years ago, and pretty much every time any major football tournament rolls up (Which is every two years) the primarily English media refuses to allow us to forget that. Forty years ago the game of football was an entirely different thing to the modern game, and it's a pretty pathetic reflection on a nation that their only conquest was a fluke victory four decades ago.

Really, most of the enjoyment is watching England set themselves up for the fall - Every tournament the usual collection of pundits and talking heads and "experts" go through the motions of running through the usual "this time we'll win it" routine, and inevitably the precious national team buckles under the pressure and falls flat on their face.

But until then, when you're deep in Wales and find that your local supermarket is flying England flags and England-related junk food promotions and cardboard cutout of England football players because someone in the central English office decided that all stores across the nation has decided it should be so without giving a damn about local sensitivities, it's pretty offensive I can tell you.

Regarding the whole "well, if England was out and Scotland/Wales/Ireland were in we'd support them" is a pretty easy promise to make and one that is hard to put into practice. The fact is that Wales isn't a big football country - It's nowhere near as important a sport to us at all, it's unlikely that there will be a situation where Wales is competing in a major tournament and England is not, it's also unlikely that Wales will progress further in a tournament than England should both qualify. England is perceived as an old and ancient enemy, and it's hardly likely to make that situation any easier when the country next door is constantly strutting around in front of you demanding your complete unconditional devotion.

Yes, it is nationalism, but it's hardly petty. Those "holiday homes" are driving up Welsh house prices far beyond the affordability of the local people. It's an absolute nightmare to be a first-time homeowner in Wales thanks to the droves and droves of English yuppies coming across the border to buy homes that will only ever be occupied for at the most three months a year.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Hi,

Quote:Yes, it is nationalism, but it's hardly petty.
And now a rousing rendition of Rhyfelgyrch Gwyr Harlech.

Bah, in a world shrunk to a twenty four hour flight, petty nationalism amuses and saddens me. Come up to the turn of the twentieth century, that way you'll be 100 years behind the times instead of 1000.

--Pete

Follow up
  1. Bolty notes that a sticky is the tool of snooty, attention whoring, elitist, megalomaniac Admins. Glad I am merely an overcaffeinated rogue!:shuriken:<>
  2. I withdraw the sticky suggestion on those grounds, and on points raised by the Lurkers who were kind enough to address the question as posed in multiple choice format.<>
  3. Pete, F9 was, IIRC "I need help! Come Here!":lol:<>
    [st]
    Quote:And now a rousing rendition of Rhyfelgyrch Gwyr Harlech.

Bah, in a world shrunk to a twenty four hour flight, petty nationalism amuses and saddens me. Come up to the turn of the twentieth century, that way you'll be 100 years behind the times instead of 1000.

--Pete
    Group identity, of which this "petty" nationalism is a subset, will not go out of vogue at the flag level until the aliens show up from off planet, rather than from across a border. :P

Is there a healthy strain of nationalism, and can it be beneficial? Ask the Palestinians on the Israeli soccer team. ;) (SI did an article on two of them a couple of years ago.) The World Cup can tap into a healthy "for our guys" sense of common ground without resorting to tanks, bombs, and body bags.

Regrettably, it can go beyond that, see the slain Colombian player ('02 or '98 cup IIRC) who was shot when he returned home thanks to his faux pas: an "auto goal." (As if he didn't feel bad enough already!) Sport as a proxy for ritual war/battles of champions isn't news, it strikes me as profoundly human.

Should the World Cup / Olympics be discarded to prevent the venomous nationalism they provoke? (Yeah, I know, follow the money, bread and circuses) A Globalist might argue that the World Cup is an anachronism, and that the cross pollenization of talent across boundaries renders it passe. Club championships (World Series, NHL playoffs, European Club Championships) should supplant the national/flag competitions, preclude nationalist based hooliganism -- and doubtless replace the latter with locally based hooliganism. :o Manchester United fans (including the Yank supporters) can sing "We are the Champions" in a Global context whilst brawling with Juventus fans, or Sao Paulo fans. :whistling:

I'll take the bitter with the sweet. I've made many a friend, or casual acquaintance at an airport bar, on the basis of the Dallas:w00t:Cowboys colors I wear now and again, among people I might not have had an ice breaker for otherwise. Likewise with my Flour Bluff HS colors.

Healthy group identity. :D

Go Hornets, Fight!.

*backflip*
    *crash*
    *reach for cell since I am not a Rogue, but a mid 40's man whose tumbling skills are absent*
    *presses F9*
    *Occhi, we aren't in Tristram any more!*
    *dials 911*
    *MEDIC!!*

Healthy? My sightless eye! :angry:

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete