jahcs finds an Internet Connection
Hello Lurkers.

I just wanted to post an update after pulling a disapearing act. I was activated with the Military and have been training and moving from instalation to instalation quite a bit. (And I finally got access to an Internet Hub.;))

My initial activation went smoothly and my unit had some fun and games in the Mojave Desert. We had some productive training and were able to talk with many people who had been in Iraq and Afghanistan. Some were soldiers that had gone and come back, some were contractors, and many were former citizens. It was very valuable to talk with them. My comrades and I had a 30 hour stint in the Motor Pool, most of it breaking track (taking parts of tank track out and replacing them) on M113s (armored personel carriers) and then got straight on a plane to head back to home station. I'm glad most of us were asleep on the flight because it was hot those days:wacko:.

Now I'm in Alabama for some individual training. It's been "Death by PowerPoint" so far. I can't be very specific about the training other than to say it's mission critical, fast paced, and challenging.

I won't be leaving CONUS (The CONtinental United States) for a while so I'll try to stop in when I can and let you all know how things are going. And when I get to where I'm going I'll try and give you info on what it's like on the ground. (Anything that doesn't violate OPSEC, of course. OPSEC is OPerational SECurity, gotta love the Military and those acronyms.) I may even be able to get some digital pictures cleared, but I can't promise anything yet.
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
Quote:Hello Lurkers.

I just wanted to post an update after pulling a disapearing act. I was activated with the Military and have been training and moving from instalation to instalation quite a bit. (And I finally got access to an Internet Hub.;))
My initial activation went smoothly and my unit had some fun and games in the Mojave Desert. We had some productive training and were able to talk with many people who had been in Iraq and Afghanistan. Some were soldiers that had gone and come back, some were contractors, and many were former citizens. It was very valuable to talk with them. My comrades and I had a 30 hour stint in the Motor Pool, most of it breaking track (taking parts of tank track out and replacing them) on M113s (armored personel carriers) and then got straight on a plane to head back to home station. I'm glad most of us were asleep on the flight because it was hot those days:wacko:.

Now I'm in Alabama for some individual training. It's been "Death by PowerPoint" so far. I can't be very specific about the training other than to say it's mission critical, fast paced, and challenging.

I won't be leaving CONUS (The CONtinental United States) for a while so I'll try to stop in when I can and let you all know how things are going. And when I get to where I'm going I'll try and give you info on what it's like on the ground. (Anything that doesn't violate OPSEC, of course. OPSEC is OPerational SECurity, gotta love the Military and those acronyms.) I may even be able to get some digital pictures cleared, but I can't promise anything yet.

If you do not come home safely and in one piece, I am going to lecture you. Don't do anything stupid!
All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Quote:Hello Lurkers.

jahcs

Please PM me an address and your email account in the (unclas) .mil domain. I will keep in touch with you, and we will be sending care packages to you and your comrades in arms.

Hooah! (Did I spell that correctly?)

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Quote:mission critical, fast paced, and challenging

Mess hall duty! How to peel spuds at breaktuber speeds. Get back when you can, but get back!
Quote:Mess hall duty! How to peel spuds at breaktuber speeds. Get back when you can, but get back!

Heh, I haven't had to do that in a while. The mess hall is actually quite good here. As for the one at the post we just came from...

And Doc, it is definitely my intention to do everything I can to safeguard the lives of my fellow soldiers and myself. From the NCO Creed:

Quote:My two basic responsibilities will always be uppermost in my mind -- accomplishment of my mission and the welfare of my soldiers.

The NCO Creed

Time's up, gotta get off the connection.

<insert witty remark here:P>
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein