1.11 Already Being (Partially) Downloaded To Your Machine
Some of you may have noticed slower or laggy connections to the World of Warcraft over the last couple of days. This is because the Blizzard Background Downloader is already downloading files for the 1.11 patch. The idea is to have some of the patch content that is already complete, like sound and graphic files, already downloaded onto most players' machines. That way, the release day patch can be kept small, making patch day easier on everyone.
Yes, I noticed that. It doesn't want to work on my machine...says my firewall blocks it, even though I've set up the Blizzard downloader as an exception to the firewall. Any thoughts on how I might be able to get it completed so my lag goes away?
VoiceMan

Terenas:
Bloodmourne - 85 Blood Elf Death Knight <Lurkers>
Vreeslik - 85 Undead Warlock <Lurkers>
Fazuul - 70 Tauren Druid <Lurkers>
Ooh - 70 Troll Rogue <Lurkers>
Gorkuk- 63 Orc Hunter <Lurkers>
Rojaal - 70 Blood Elf Paladin <Lurkers>
You're damn right I noticed this, it was stressing my DSL connection to the point that I kept dropping carrier lastnight. I died 3 times because of it. I left the game and noticed a blizzard icon in my system tray for a moment. I had assumed it was the background downloader.

I guess I need to make sure I am logged in during as much of my AFK time as possible in the next couple days. Either that or disable the downloader.
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
I highly recommend you disable the background downloader (it's in the options, check it in your system tray). Running Bittorrent in any form while trying to game online will just drag your connection way down.

-Bolty
Quote:Considering the mods here are generally liberals who seem to have a soft spot for fascism and white supremacy (despite them saying otherwise), me being perma-banned at some point is probably not out of the question.
Quote:I highly recommend you disable the background downloader (it's in the options, check it in your system tray). Running Bittorrent in any form while trying to game online will just drag your connection way down.

-Bolty

When it comes to Blizzard's version, much agreed. Most 'real' BT clients allow you to control the upload and download bandwidth you use so you do not choke your system. I don't see any such available options here, so it'll likely choose the highest possible upload it can.

Quote: it was stressing my DSL connection to the point that I kept dropping carrier lastnight. I died 3 times because of it.

This can and will cause the problems Concillian experienced above, even on higher bandwidth connections. Don't use it during regular or imporant play.

In contrast, the Guild Wars client only downloads new content in advance during the login screen and loading screens, not during regular play.
Yup, another failure by Blizz. When are they gonna learn to fully test stuff like its mission critical or something?
Yep, I noticed the sudden sloppy gameplay immediately two days ago. What I did was disable the background download and restart the BG downloader without running WoW when I went to work. I now have the 100 MB pre-patch on my HD and am looking forward to a patch 1.11 release next week:)
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
Must be nice to actually be able to notice a difference when this started. Our instance servers just plain suck Wed-Fri.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!
Quote:I highly recommend you disable the background downloader (it's in the options, check it in your system tray). Running Bittorrent in any form while trying to game online will just drag your connection way down.

-Bolty

Did they actually fix the bug where disabling this downloader didn't actually do anything?

Oh, and before someone tries, I don't recommend deleting it - it seems you actually need it to install the new patch. Renaming/moving it would work. =(
Quote:Oh, and before someone tries, I don't recommend deleting it - it seems you actually need it to install the new patch. Renaming/moving it would work. =(
You can also move unwanted files;)
"Man only plays when in the full meaning of the word he is a man, and he is only completely a man when he plays." -- Friedrich von Schiller
Looks like:
a) my connection issues were not due to the downloader after all, problems persisted after the D/L was finished

b) the size has grown, it finished 100% complete of 97MB lastnight, but on logging in today it is now 76% complete of 127 MB
Conc / Concillian -- Vintage player of many games. Deadly leader of the All Pally Team (or was it Death leader?)
Terenas WoW player... while we waited for Diablo III.
And it came... and it went... and I played Hearthstone longer than Diablo III.
Quote:Some of you may have noticed slower or laggy connections to the World of Warcraft over the last couple of days. This is because the Blizzard Background Downloader is already downloading files for the 1.11 patch. The idea is to have some of the patch content that is already complete, like sound and graphic files, already downloaded onto most players' machines. That way, the release day patch can be kept small, making patch day easier on everyone.

I have ZoneAlarm permanently blocking the Background Downloader, and I only move it back to the WoW folders when patch time arrives. I don't trust Blizzard to download stuff to my box without my approval.
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Quote:I have ZoneAlarm permanently blocking the Background Downloader, and I only move it back to the WoW folders when patch time arrives. I don't trust Blizzard to download stuff to my box without my approval.

... Which is why, you know, they gave you an option to disable it.
Trade yourself in for the perfect one. No one needs to know that you feel you've been ruined!