HIV vaccine a reality!
This HIV study has interesting ethical elements as well as rather earth-shaking ramifications. Two snippets I found very relevant are copied below.

Quote:The study actually tested a two-vaccine combo in a "prime-boost" approach, where the first one primes the immune system to attack HIV and the second one strengthens the response.

They are ALVAC, from Sanofi Pasteur, the vaccine division of French drugmaker Sanofi-Aventis; and AIDSVAX, originally developed by VaxGen Inc. and now held by Global Solutions for Infectious Diseases, a nonprofit founded by some former VaxGen employees.

ALVAC uses canarypox, a bird virus altered so it can't cause human disease, to ferry synthetic versions of three HIV genes into the body. AIDSVAX contains a genetically engineered version of a protein on HIV's surface. The vaccines are not made from whole virus — dead or alive — and cannot cause HIV.
That was how, these are the numbers:
Quote:Results: New infections occurred in 51 of the 8,197 given vaccine and in 74 of the 8,198 who received dummy shots. That worked out to a 31 percent lower risk of infection for the vaccine group.

The vaccine had no effect on levels of HIV in the blood of those who did become infected. That had been another goal of the study — seeing whether the vaccine could limit damage to the immune system and help keep infected people from developing full-blown AIDS.

That result is "one of the most important and intriguing findings of this trial," Fauci said. It suggests that the signs scientists have been using to gauge whether a vaccine was actually giving protection may not be valid.

"It is conceivable that we haven't even identified yet" what really shows immunity, which is both "important and humbling" after decades of vaccine research, Fauci said.
Here's to hoping the research is used to further a true vaccine as well as a possible cure, and that it's somehow avaiable to everyone that has it.

Cheers,
~Frag :w00t:
Hardcore Diablo 1/2/3/4 & Retail/Classic WoW adventurer.
One slight problem with your wishes, Frag. Vaccination can only prevent an infection; it can't cure it.
Quote:One slight problem with your wishes, Frag. Vaccination can only prevent an infection; it can't cure it.
That's part of why I included the second quoted text, as it talks about a blind-spot that they had regarding treatment, and with that acknowledged, they can move on first on the prevention but possibly also into cure.

Cheers,
~Frag B)
Hi,

Quote:Here's to hoping the research is used to further a true vaccine as well as a possible cure, and that it's somehow avaiable to everyone that has it.
Indeed. A great result that has the potential to save many lives and to improve the situation in some regions, notably, sub-Sahara Africa. A big step forward, but, unfortunately, still not a complete solution. I too hope they continue the research, and that they have more successes and soon.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

If this is actually working, and is an actual working vaccine and a first step towards total prevention, that would be the best news I've heard ... well, maybe ever. I'm hoping that's not a statistical glitch. Given the low numbers of total infected, it could well be that this is a false positive. I also hope it doesn't trigger some kind of "immunity illusion" where a 30% reduction in infection rate causes people to act as though they're immune. Some of the populations that need this most are also not very medically educated.

But, fingers crossed. This could be big.

-Jester
Quote:I'm hoping that's not a statistical glitch. Given the low numbers of total infected, it could well be that this is a false positive.
Agreed. Near the end of the article it shows possibilities of where they might study next;
Quote:Scientists want to know how long will protection last, whether booster shots will be needed, and whether the vaccine helps prevent infection in gay men and injection drug users, since it was tested mostly in heterosexuals in the Thai trial
Hopefully, that means they will continue to receive the funding and support needed to determine it's actual efficacy and what areas can be improved upon.

Hoping,
~Frag
It's neat that they finally made one that affects all races, but this is hardly new news: link. First link of google I clicked on searching for: "aids vaccine Caucasians". I read information about this at least ten or more years ago where scientists had already developed a vaccine, but that it mostly only worked for those of Negro genealogy. It was in every major newspaper for only one day, then quietly disappeared. My friends and I contemplated it's fate, assuming the vaccine was never fully ready for humans or something, but the possibility that it was shelved because it did not work for all races did cross our minds since it's common knowledge that the FDA won't approve a drug unless it works on a large percentage of the entire population.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Quote:Hopefully, that means they will continue to receive the funding and support needed to determine it's actual efficacy and what areas can be improved upon.
If they don't fund a promising potential vaccine for HIV, it's difficult to fathom what they'd fund at all. You'd think this would be pretty high up the priorities list, globally speaking.

-Jester
Quote:It's neat that they finally made one that affects all races, but this is hardly new news: link. First link of google I clicked on searching for: "aids vaccine Caucasians". I read information about this at least ten or more years ago where scientists had already developed a vaccine, but that it mostly only worked for those of Negro genealogy. It was in every major newspaper for only one day, then quietly disappeared. My friends and I contemplated it's fate, assuming the vaccine was never fully ready for humans or something, but the possibility that it was shelved because it did not work for all races did cross our minds since it's common knowledge that the FDA won't approve a drug unless it works on a large percentage of the entire population.

I know you're only trolling, but try reading the articles linked. One of the pair of vaccines that are showing promise in the combo trial is the same as the one in your link, AIDSVAX. It failed in its initial solo trials, but had some possibility of protection where Asian and black populations were concerned. Then it failed in a big trial in Thailand. It appears to have been sold off to another concern.
At first I thought, "Mind control satellites? No way!" But now I can't remember how we lived without them.
------
WoW PC's of significance
Vaimadarsa Pavis Hykim Jakaleel Odayla Odayla
Quote:If they don't fund a promising potential vaccine for HIV, it's difficult to fathom what they'd fund at all. You'd think this would be pretty high up the priorities list, globally speaking.

-Jester
It's likely my indiscriminate use of pronouns has given me your response, I was referring to the Thai government's involvement specifically, though in retrospect I don't really suppose it matters at this point where the funding is from too much. Just my personal preference to see a public body doing the funding.

I respectfully disagree MEAT, that article you refer to is about the 2003 VaxGen trials in Thailand and Indianapolis, Indiana which upon further review by the scientific community, as well as VaxGen itself were determined failures. Also the Non-White, Non-Hispanic number was shown to be an inaccurate finding, announced by VaxGen.

Cheers,
~Frag B)

Edit: Links
Quote:One slight problem with your wishes, Frag. Vaccination can only prevent an infection; it can't cure it.

Quoted the relevant part for you again:

Quote:Here's to hoping the research is used to further a true vaccine as well as a possible cure, and that it's somehow avaiable to everyone that has it.

Cheers,
~Frag :w00t:
"A number of new experimental HIV drugs, called entry inhibitors, have been designed to interfere with the interaction between CCR5 and HIV, including PRO140 (Progenics), Vicriviroc (Schering Plough), Aplaviroc (GW-873140) (GlaxoSmithKline) and Maraviroc (UK-427857) (Pfizer). A potential problem of this approach is that, while CCR5 is the major co-receptor by which HIV infects cells, it is not the only such co-receptor. It is possible that under selective pressure HIV will evolve to use another co-receptor. However, examination of viral resistance to AD101, molecular antagonist of CCR5, indicated that resistant viruses did not switch to another coreceptor (CXCR4) but persisted in using CCR5, either through binding to alternative domains of CCR5, or by binding to the receptor at a higher affinity. Development of Aplaviroc has been terminated due to safety concerns (potential liver toxicity)"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CCR5

Most important is that we have discovered a key mechanism for many infectious diseases. So, theoretically, if we can understand the role of CCR5, then we can provide resistance and cures for many other recombinant diseases such as Smallpox, Ebola, Yersinia pestis, Marburg, influenza, or papillomavirus.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Quote:I respectfully disagree MEAT, that article you refer to is about the 2003 VaxGen trials in Thailand and Indianapolis, Indiana which upon further review by the scientific community, as well as VaxGen itself were determined failures. Also the Non-White, Non-Hispanic number was shown to be an inaccurate finding, announced by VaxGen.

Very good, I wasn't aware. When you posted that, the memory came to me after years of lying dormant in my mind. I hope they do find a cure - that would be great!

@Bun-Bun: Trolling? I've heard the terminology before, but never been called one before so I decided to look it up on a dictionary website. "Trolling is a method of fishing where one or more fishing lines, baited with lures or bait fish, are drawn through the water. ..." So what your saying is that I am attempting to throw out information that may or may not be true to lure others into conversation for my own selfish needs? Interesting, but you can keep your thoughts of my intentions to yourself or PM me next time you decide it prudent enough to sling insult upon me. To be fair and honest, I wasn't scanning for details in any of the links, but I did read them; I simply remembered something I read in the news awhile back, thought I could contribute something of value to the conversation, and posted it. I was incorrect in the information I had, as Frag politely pointed out, and now I've saved others whom also might have had the same notion I did the embarrassment of posting the same information I did. Trolling? It was not my intention, but you know what they say, "The road to hell is paved with good intentions."
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Quote:If this is actually working, and is an actual working vaccine and a first step towards total prevention, that would be the best news I've heard ... well, maybe ever.
-Jester

That would be a cure for cancer, a disease that affects a significantly larger portion of the world's population, and one that can not be prevented in any way at all.
Quote:That would be a cure for cancer, a disease that affects a significantly larger portion of the world's population, and one that can not be prevented in any way at all.
But I have not heard that news...

-Jester
Quote:That would be a cure for cancer, a disease that affects a significantly larger portion of the world's population, and one that can not be prevented in any way at all.

Oh really? Cervical Cancer Vaccine
Sith Warriors - They only class that gets a new room added to their ship after leaving Hoth, they get a Brooncloset

Einstein said Everything is Relative.
Heisenberg said Everything is Uncertain.
Therefore, everything is relatively uncertain.
Quote:Oh really? Cervical Cancer Vaccine
Cervical cancer is one of those more interesting cancers that originates as a virus (Human papillomavirus) which exhibits few or no symptoms, and which gets transmitted through unprotected sex.

Other than HPV, I know Hep B & C can cause liver cancer.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

Quote:Cervical cancer is one of those more interesting cancers that originates as a virus (Human papillomavirus) which exhibits few or no symptoms, and which gets transmitted through unprotected sex.

Other than HPV, I know Hep B & C can cause liver cancer.
A rather important point, that. Different causes, different cancers.

"Cancer" is not an individual disease, like "Hepatitis B". It's an entire class of diseases, like "virus" or "parasite". A cure, vaccine, or treatment for any given type of cancer may have absolutely no bearing on any other type - which is why the various "for the cure" charities, while noble, are promising something which is highly unlikely to ever happen. If we "beat" cancer, it will be with a whole host of different treatments that work on different types of cancer.

-Jester
Hi,

Quote:"Cancer" is not an individual disease, like "Hepatitis B". It's an entire class of diseases, like "virus" or "parasite".
Entirely true.

Quote:A cure, vaccine, or treatment for any given type of cancer may have absolutely no bearing on any other type - which is why the various "for the cure" charities, while noble, are promising something which is highly unlikely to ever happen. If we "beat" cancer, it will be with a whole host of different treatments that work on different types of cancer.
Partially true. And you do cover yourself nicely with a well placed 'may'.:) As you said, it's a class. There are enough similarities between members of that class that diagnosis, treatment, even understanding of one can and often does contribute to the efforts against the others.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Quote:Partially true. And you do cover yourself nicely with a well placed 'may'.:) As you said, it's a class. There are enough similarities between members of that class that diagnosis, treatment, even understanding of one can and often does contribute to the efforts against the others.
In general, as I understand it from my sister and BIL, cancers tend to hijack the RNA mechanism that instigates cell division. Usually, a cell has a comparatively lengthy growth phase, then at some point it divides. A carcinoma cell skips the growth phase, and just divides, and divides, and divides. Also, there is a mechanism in cells that tell them to stop dividing and become immortal (that is they can die, but they are set to permanent repair mode). Understanding cancer, also helps us understand aging, since many cancers are the result of transcription errors or mutations due to radiation or chemicals. In a younger person, the bodies repair mechanisms would find and kill rogue cells before they cause trouble. As we age, our endocrine systems slow down and our cell anomalies eventually kill us. Put another way... we are designed to die. If you live long enough, you will get cancer. Transcription errors due to cell division are why cancers tend to end up in the places where cells are replaced rapidly, like skin, and intestinal lining.

The cure for cancer is also the fountain of youth.