OpenOffice.org / Open Office
Hi,

Title says it all. I'm looking especially at discrepancies of formats, structure when saving into Microsoft Office formats.
Is Open Office of any use if I had to create documents and presentations with it - say for university and/or for work - and wanted others (particularly my professor / boss, using MS Office) to be able to read it in perfect quality (= without flaws and errors)?

Thanks in advance.

Greetings, Fragbait
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
Fragbait,May 16 2006, 08:22 AM Wrote:Hi,

Title says it all. I'm looking especially at discrepancies of formats, structure when saving into Microsoft Office formats.
Is Open Office of any use if I had to create documents and presentations with it - say for university and/or for work - and wanted others (particularly my professor / boss, using MS Office) to be able to read it in perfect quality (= without flaws and errors)?

Thanks in advance.

Greetings, Fragbait
[right][snapback]110002[/snapback][/right]

I have used the Linux version and found it to be just about the best office software I personally have ever used. It has M$ beat hands down, and I don't remember specifics, but it will open just about any file ever. As I seem to recall there are also pluggin type things to allow it to open some special files. As far as I know, it will save in to .doc files and M$ office standard files just fine. You can even preserve the formatting and layout. I know I have sent some folks some spreadsheets made in OO and they were able to open them just fine in M$, but M$ is missing a few features that OO has, so if you use those features, nobody will know.

Most of the time I just use Text Edit, but I am old fashioned like that. OO is very nice though.

All alone, or in twos,
The ones who really love you
Walk up and down outside the wall.
Some hand in hand
And some gathered together in bands.
The bleeding hearts and artists
Make their stand.

And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad buggers wall.

"Isn't this where...."
Fragbait,May 16 2006, 06:22 AM Wrote:I'm looking especially at discrepancies of formats, structure when saving into Microsoft Office formats.

You will not get perfect translation in either direction. It's pretty good these days but if you are expecting perfect translation you are bound to be disappointed.
vor_lord,May 16 2006, 09:24 AM Wrote:You will not get perfect translation in either direction.  It's pretty good these days but if you are expecting perfect translation you are bound to be disappointed.
[right][snapback]110008[/snapback][/right]

I find that saving something in to a rich text format helps. Especially if you check all the options to preserve spacing, width, etc.

I find that .doc documents are absolutely terrible to deal with in general. I have seen, with my own eyes, .doc documents change dramatically from machine to machine, just on windows boxes. Make it on one box, send it to another, and it comes out quite a bit different.

I have to deal with dozens of different documents a day, many reports, spreadsheets, financial reports, progress reports, staff entries, etc. I have yet to find a perfect solution. What I have found though is that there are a million ways to skin a cat. If you have to work with them, there are plenty of work arounds.

Text Edit for the Mac can open .doc files after a bit of tinkering. It does pretty damn good all things considered.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Doc,May 16 2006, 05:48 PM Wrote:I have to deal with dozens of different documents a day, many reports, spreadsheets, financial reports, progress reports, staff entries, etc. I have yet to find a perfect solution.
[right][snapback]110016[/snapback][/right]
If it only needs to be read then saving as a pdf file works wonders.
[Image: oopdf0iu.jpg]
Hugs are good, but smashing is better! - Clarence<!--sizec--><!--/sizec-->
roguebanshee,May 16 2006, 11:34 AM Wrote:If it only needs to be read then saving as a pdf file works wonders.
[Image: oopdf0iu.jpg]
[right][snapback]110022[/snapback][/right]

Damn, I completely forgot to mention that. Thanks. I do save quite a few things as portable document formats.

Not everything can be done that way though. A real pain in the ass.

OSX uses Quartz, which is all about the PDF. PDF based rendering is so nice. I wish more systems would adopt this format. It's so... Elegant.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Fragbait,May 16 2006, 08:22 AM Wrote:Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Greetings, Fragbait
You might also want to consider an inexpensive Star Office since it is based on open office, with Sun's revisions and quality control.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

kandrathe,May 16 2006, 08:16 PM Wrote:You might also want to consider an inexpensive Star Office since it is based on open office, with Sun's revisions and quality control.
[right][snapback]110100[/snapback][/right]

Is that any good? I could never get the damn thing to install properly with Yellow Dog Linux.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
roguebanshee,May 16 2006, 09:34 AM Wrote:If it only needs to be read then saving as a pdf file works wonders.

Ditto that.

Personally, I avoid word processors as much as possible, often only using OpenOffice to export class notes to PDF format.

When I do need to write a paper, I use LyX or straight LaTeX when LyX isn't appropriate. The last time I had to actually wordprosess in OpenOffice was for a linguistics class where I had to use IPA symbols heavily, and did not want to bother with LaTeX as LyX currently does not support unicode.

And, yes, I am a GNU/Linux user.
YZilla,May 16 2006, 08:34 PM Wrote:Ditto that.

Personally, I avoid word processors as much as possible, often only using OpenOffice to export class notes to PDF format.

When I do need to write a paper, I use LyX or straight LaTeX when LyX isn't appropriate. The last time I had to actually wordprosess in OpenOffice was for a linguistics class where I had to use IPA symbols heavily, and did not want to bother with LaTeX as LyX currently does not support unicode.

And, yes, I am a GNU/Linux user.
[right][snapback]110103[/snapback][/right]

Any gnus is good gnus.
All alone, or in twos,
Some hand in hand
Make their stand.

"Isn't this where...."
Thanks guys.

- Fragbait
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.