what's an ideal LAW setup?
what would be an ideal set up of gear for a warrior LAW , low a.c. warrior, assuming on couldn't find a helm of sprits.? thanks for the reply.
Heidi,May 15 2006, 12:07 PM Wrote:what would be an ideal set up of gear for a warrior LAW , low a.c. warrior, assuming on couldn't find a helm of sprits.? thanks for the reply.
[right][snapback]109861[/snapback][/right]

Obsidian armor of suffix (precision, sorcery, stars, lion)
Resist all (Obsidian or Emerald) shield of Tiger
- ideally these two items should max resistances

Either - Kings sword of haste and mana/suffix jewels (remember perfect block is essential for a LAW so perfection should be held in high regard)
or - CC, and gold/suffix jewels.

CC will deal more damage, especially at higher character levels but Kings haste allows the freedom of teleporting, which allows you to move through levels at greater speed in my opinion.

Helm as RC. A far better helm than HoS in my opinion.

~Hureg
D1 Ironman Tournament
http://p205.ezboard.com/bthedsfcommunity
Aarda's still throwing roses at the rain...
I had played with a CC LAW before on hell/hell. He made mince meat outta the levels in mere seconds; most monsters died within 1 - 2 hits. But either way, the set-ups listed above work well. All that's left is careful strategy and skilled playin. Have fun. :)

Btw, King's Sword of Haste is better vs Advocates due to better stunnin capabilities.
Gateway: USA East
Sorcerer: Force_11.06.04.
Warrior: ForceLuvsSheFlex
LAW: Force_Nov.06.04.

Luvin my babe forever.. =))
well i bought, or rather someone else bought from griz, someone from the diablo-le channel on us east; a obsidian leather of the tiger, i thought i could use it as a start for building a law. ac 12, 38% resist all, 50 hit points. that a good start?!

what about blackoak shield? it has 10 dexterity.
If you are just starting, than I wouldn't use the armor just yet. It will just get beat to shreds meaning you will have to repair it too often at a time when gold is better spent otherwise. Also, the resists would be wasted early on and the AC won't help much. All you will get is 50 more hp at a time in the game when you don't really need it. Plus, a LAW will require more reliance on skill and careful playing than a normal warrior - generally speaking, giving gear to new characters detracts from that.

Hureg's setup is right on the money for the target build. Keep in mind your goal for your dexterity should be perfect block (i.e. enough dexterity so you can block 100% of the time as long as your character is in a condition that allows him to block). This target dexterity will decrease as you gain levels, meaning that eventually you may be able to replace a +dex ring for a +all ring for some improvement. I have a Dynamic Table for blocking that will tell you what your dexterity needs to be to get perfect block based on your character level.

Have fun!
--Lang

Diabolic Psyche - the site with Diablo on the Brain!
Heidi,May 14 2006, 07:07 PM Wrote:what would be an ideal set up of gear for a warrior LAW , low a.c. warrior, assuming on couldn't find a helm of sprits.? thanks for the reply.
[right][snapback]109861[/snapback][/right]

Here's approximately my last LAW's setup. It is from about 6 years ago, so I do not remember it precisely, but close enough:

RC
KSOS
Obs/Stars Mail
Obs/Tiger Shield
Dragon/Perf+Dragon/Heavens+Drake/Zod

IIRC, perfect block is 220-(2*clvl) in H/H.

Out of all this, RC and Obs/Tig shield are by far easiest to get. KSOS/H you can shop for although it might take you hours and hours. Obs/Stars shirt is pretty rare and the jewelry you will get eventually just by playing a lot.

Make sure that before you play as a LAW, you are at least pretty skillful, or you will get destroyed in H/H.

Personally, I recommend a MAW, mid-AC warrior. Usually, my warrirors by the time they reached clvl 40 or so would have that setup.

Basically, substitute an Awesome/Something (preferably Precision or obviously Stars, or Saintly) for the LAW shirt, and get an Obs jewel on one of the jewelry slots. The rest is the same.

I have never been a big fan of HoS. I think it is a novelty item, or an item to be used with an otherwise high AC warrior. In that case, your mana pool is pitifully low.

As a LAW, stay away from anything *but* Speed/Haste swords, as you need to kill fast.

-A
Force,May 15 2006, 03:27 PM Wrote:I had played with a CC LAW before on hell/hell. He made mince meat outta the levels in mere seconds; most monsters died within 1 - 2 hits. But either way, the set-ups listed above work well. All that's left is careful strategy and skilled playin. Have fun. :)

Btw, King's Sword of Haste is better vs Advocates due to better stunnin capabilities.
[right][snapback]109938[/snapback][/right]

I would not recommend a CC with a LAW setup. This setup requires you to use gold jewelry, thereby severely cutting down your potential mana pool, which is the mainstay of a LAW.

-A
griz sold me a Saintly plate of the Wolf ! 71 ac x 130%= 163 ac +40 hit points. i think that's the highest ac hit points armor he's ever offered me. is that something good to build around?
Heidi,May 16 2006, 04:29 PM Wrote:griz sold me a Saintly plate of the Wolf ! 71 ac x 130%= 163 ac +40 hit points. i think that's the highest ac hit points armor he's ever offered me. is that something good to build around?
[right][snapback]110087[/snapback][/right]

It's not a bad plate. This is not something you'd want to keep into your mid-upper 40s, but in the 30s it is very good. I prefer Prec or obviously Stars, but this is not bad at all. I think I used to have have this on a couple of my warriors for a while until they found something better much later in their careers.

-A
At low levels (clvl: 30)
Obsidian/Precision helm
Obsidian/Precision armor
King/Haste sword
Emerald/Tiger shield
Dragon/Zodiac x3

As your level gets higher you can remove precision helm for Helm of Sprits and Precision armor for Harmony (or of Stars works too, I just prefer Harmony, .15 second hit recovery!).
Assuming everything is perfect stats.

At level 30 it will give you perfect block with 160 dex.
At level 50 you'll get perfect block at 120 dex.
Max resists the entire way.
Optimal mana pool + hp + damage + life recovery.
Extra stat boost from a Royal Circlet (it's the only thing a LAW needs/wants from the RC anyway) is kind of fail because a helm of stars can do better and give you a prefix to work with as well. And 40 extra mana is pointless when faced with the prospect of gaining life back with every attack you do.

A LAW without a Helm of Sprits is either starting his life in hell/hell at level 30, just doesn't have one yet, or fails for thinking a RC is better.
Some big time thread necromancy brewing here.

Quote:Extra stat boost from a Royal Circlet (it's the only thing a LAW needs/wants from the RC anyway) is kind of fail because a helm of stars can do better and give you a prefix to work with as well. And 40 extra mana is pointless when faced with the prospect of gaining life back with every attack you do.

A LAW without a Helm of Sprits is either starting his life in hell/hell at level 30, just doesn't have one yet, or fails for thinking a RC is better.

Once you choose to put on an obsidian armor, you lose the AC benefit of the RC. But you also would lose the benefit of any prefix on any other hat. So 40 mana plus 10 to all stats is still a great option. Presumably the reason you are wearing an obsidian armor as a high level warrior is to get big mana for handling ranged attackers, so the RC makes sense. Getting life leach from Helm of Sprits is cool, but pretty much a gimmick. This isn't D2, where the leach might actually save you from dying. You can make a case for it because the surrounding equipment is so good that any hat will do.

I don't think I would ever consider a warrior setup with obsidian armor a "dream" setup, unless I were playing some sort of variant. When you are playing a melee character, AC is relevant. This is not a ranged attacker who will only get by melee enemies due to player error. With that in mind, give me an awesome/stars or awesomeon full plate to build around. Then you can still get away with low AC shield and helm (although RC IS tempting in this setup) at high levels with great jewelry. Because at this point, you don't need perfect AC against every blood knight. But if you have high enough AC so that storms and doggies can't hit you every darn time, you can spend a lot less time blocking and a lot more time attacking. If I'm wearing an obsidian armor with a full powered character (regardless of class), that is pretty much a commitment that all lava maw will be killed with chain lightning before they get close.
Well, yeah, but the moment you put on a high AC armor you're not a LAW anymore. >_>
Just one good obsidian shield, one HoS, and a nice awesome fpm of suffix will put you at 210+ pretty easily.
Swap out HoS for RC and that's an extra 35 ac. Or you can even swap out obsidian shield for an awesome/holy shield.

For a LAW though I would never choose a RC over a HoS. Unless I didn't have one available (or you need the 10 stats for perfect block vice a precision helm, but that should only really be an issue at lower levels 35 or so and will cease to be a problem as you level up higher your perfection jewels or zodiac jewels will take care of that).
The benefit of being able to engage a group of soul burners or advocates and telekilling an extra 4-5 of them before being forced to drink a potion is just better than 40 extra mana that I won't miss.

And the only two monsters in hell/hell I can effectively kill with magic are lava maws and snow witches.
Killing anything else with chain lightning takes too long. Killing anything else with fireball seems like I'm throwing peas at a tiger. I simple don't fire fast enough to achieve the killing rate I want (or maybe I'm just biased from years of sorcerer play). Oftentimes, if I meet a group where spells would work as well as simply attacking them, I'd rather stone curse them strategically so I can engage them safely and take them out with sword and shield rather than spells.

After life leech with haste sword, I cannot go back to telekilling a whole room of witches or mages without life leech anymore. It just seems too inefficient to have to stop and heal every other witch.
And against melee attackers, you shouldn't really be getting damaged to the point where you'd need to drink a potion at all if you're using a HoS (except for some rare cases of running into 10 knights around a corner, lava maws, storm lords, etc).
Quote:At low levels (clvl: 30)
Obsidian/Precision helm
Obsidian/Precision armor
King/Haste sword
Emerald/Tiger shield
Dragon/Zodiac x3

As your level gets higher you can remove precision helm for Helm of Sprits and Precision armor for Harmony (or of Stars works too, I just prefer Harmony, .15 second hit recovery!).
Assuming everything is perfect stats.

At level 30 it will give you perfect block with 160 dex.
At level 50 you'll get perfect block at 120 dex.
Max resists the entire way.
Optimal mana pool + hp + damage + life recovery.
Extra stat boost from a Royal Circlet (it's the only thing a LAW needs/wants from the RC anyway) is kind of fail because a helm of stars can do better and give you a prefix to work with as well. And 40 extra mana is pointless when faced with the prospect of gaining life back with every attack you do.

I prefer RC over HOS, and needless to say, my warrior not only doesnt fail but is in fact pretty dominant 90% of the time......having 360+ mana with 180-205 dmg (plus 50% chance critical hit) is pretty damn sick. I use KSOV on many lvls in co-ops, which is actually more efficient then HOS anyway. On lvls with Maws or Storms or mages I have to go haste w/o the use of an HOS since I dont carry one, but this is a very minor setback at worst IMO. So I have to use a few pots on these type of lvls. Not a big deal really, since with 50% crit and my dmg everything dies very quickly anyway for HOS to be ultra efficient.

Ive always found HOS somewhat overrated.

Both my law and high ac setup on my warrior are nearly perfect and neither involves the use of HOS:

Law setup
Obsidian Mail of the Stars - 40/11
Obsidian Shield of the Tiger - 39/50, 20 ac
RC
Kings Bastard Sword of Vampires or Speed
Drakes Amulet of the Zodiac - 50/20
Drakes Ring of the Zodiac - 46/19
Dragons Ring of the Zodiac - 55/20

if I want to go high ac, I swap the Obs Stars mail for Awesome Plate of the Stars (74/149/9) and the 46/19 Drake Zodi with an 38/19 Obsidian Zodi ring....mana still well over 300, ac 270+...

even if I did like HOS alot, I carry my PvP gear on him too so I wouldnt have the room for it anyway.

Spells on warrior can be very effective but it sounds like you have a low magic attribute, and it also depends on what lvl your warrior is. The higher your magic attribute, the more accurate your fireballs will hit. But in hell/hell u need to have a fairly high clvl and above average gear for this, of course. As for telekilling soulies, just use KsoV, which is again, overall more efficient then HOS. My warrior is having between 125-130 magic so his casting is quite deadly, and with the use of KsoV its possible to mini mage some lvls even.

D1 is a mana based game, not life based :)
https://www.youtube.com/user/FireIceTalon

"Your very ideas are but the outgrowth of conditions of your bourgeois production and bourgeois property, just as your jurisprudence is but the will of your class, made into law for all, a will whose essential character and direction are determined by the economic conditions of the existence of your class." - Marx (addressing the bourgeois)
Quote:Some big time thread necromancy brewing here.
Once you choose to put on an obsidian armor, you lose the AC benefit of the RC. But you also would lose the benefit of any prefix on any other hat. So 40 mana plus 10 to all stats is still a great option. Presumably the reason you are wearing an obsidian armor as a high level warrior is to get big mana for handling ranged attackers, so the RC makes sense. Getting life leach from Helm of Sprits is cool, but pretty much a gimmick. This isn't D2, where the leach might actually save you from dying. You can make a case for it because the surrounding equipment is so good that any hat will do.

I don't think I would ever consider a warrior setup with obsidian armor a "dream" setup, unless I were playing some sort of variant. When you are playing a melee character, AC is relevant. This is not a ranged attacker who will only get by melee enemies due to player error. With that in mind, give me an awesome/stars or awesomeon full plate to build around. Then you can still get away with low AC shield and helm (although RC IS tempting in this setup) at high levels with great jewelry. Because at this point, you don't need perfect AC against every blood knight. But if you have high enough AC so that storms and doggies can't hit you every darn time, you can spend a lot less time blocking and a lot more time attacking. If I'm wearing an obsidian armor with a full powered character (regardless of class), that is pretty much a commitment that all lava maw will be killed with chain lightning before they get close.

Agree with first paragraph, but second paragraph....

truth be told, dexterity is more important then ac on warrior. I play my warrior almost exactly the same way when hes a Law as I do when hes high ac, minus blind teleporting. Maelstroms and their brethren are really the only super dangerous monster for a LAW, u can only take on 1 at a time or its curtains. But for just about anything else, u can pick them off a few a time as long as u dont let yourself get swarmed. Maws are dangerous and require the use of haste but u can usually have 2 or even 3 on you if you have perfect block. They do seem to have bashing effect though, so some sort of caution is certainly needed if you are going low ac vs them. Storms I still think take the cake as a Law's worst nightmare though, and in fact, I just usually throw on my Awes Stars if they are present.

a Law is actually much easier to play then a low-ac rogue, believe it or not, cause of the rogue's lack of using a shield. Sure u have a ranged attack, but it is much more difficult to play this class with low ac at a fast pace then it is with a warrior, who pretty much can kill things in just a few hits and has the abilty to block. Unlike my warrior, I have to play my rogue totally different if she goes low ac, then when she uses a high ac style. Unfortuantly arrow attacks in this game are somewhat underpowered in PvM, even for a lvl 50 rogue with basically perfect equipment. The error factor is also important, if u make a mistake on a LAW, you may or may not live depending on the monster types and the situation. For a low ac rogue though, an error almost always means instant death. Rogues are extremely fragile chars when they are in low armor.

With the standard LAW setup, perfect hp is 528 and perfect mana is 399, for a lvl 50 warrior using Obs Stars, Obs/Eme Tiger shield, RC, Ksov/speed, and 3 perfect dragon zodis. Another alternative could be using a whale item for those who like getting 600 hp on their warriors. If u need more then 1 resist, you will probably have to use the whale item on the helm slot, but only 1 or no resists are needed the whale item can be used in the armor slot so RC may still be equipped. This is quite effective on lvl 16 in particular, with the use of RC/Ruby Whale armor, 3 mana zodis. If you have a tri-witch lvl (every warriors worst nightmare), use a whale helm with obs stars armor and ksov....

"Your very ideas are but the outgrowth of conditions of your bourgeois production and bourgeois property, just as your jurisprudence is but the will of your class, made into law for all, a will whose essential character and direction are determined by the economic conditions of the existence of your class." - Marx (addressing the bourgeois)
Quote:truth be told, dexterity is more important then ac on warrior. I play my warrior almost exactly the same way when hes a Law as I do when hes high ac, minus blind teleporting. Maelstroms and their brethren are really the only super dangerous monster for a LAW, u can only take on 1 at a time or its curtains. But for just about anything else, u can pick them off a few a time as long as u dont let yourself get swarmed. Maws are dangerous and require the use of haste but u can usually have 2 or even 3 on you if you have perfect block. They do seem to have bashing effect though, so some sort of caution is certainly needed if you are going low ac vs them. Storms I still think take the cake as a Law's worst nightmare though, and in fact, I just usually throw on my Awes Stars if they are present.

Yes, storms are worse than maws.

DEX vs. AC is an interesting dilemma when developing a young (untwinked) warrior. There are no hard and fast rules at that point, because you have to deal with the equipment you are able to find. A lot of times you go for as much of both as you can get and swap for resistances when they are needed. But if I had the gear you listed in the other post, where the low AC setup essentially trades 270 AC for 50 mana, the obsidian armor would not be worth 6 inventory spaces to me. You still have relatively good mana and great dexterity with the 270 AC. The low AC setup is basically a fashion statement at that point, although the extra mana is slightly superior against witches.

With a bow rogue, I don't really want any enemies to be within melee range of me, so low AC is just fine. The extra mana will be used as life buffer, casting offensive spells, or teleporting *away* from oncoming enemies. But certainly with any class, if one wants to teleport into the enemy (to do fast cave clears or play recklessly in general) then high AC would be very helpful. My line of thinking with warriors is that, even if you intend to play very carefully, low AC still means you will spend a lot of time blocking instead of completing attacks. The hybridized setups allow you to get most of the benefits of the berzerk warrior while completely dominating the fast attackers in caves or early hell.
The reason I didn't mention a warrior with an awesome fpm is that it's not low ac if you have effective ac against any monster.

But I will agree with that point. The best warriors I've ever come across were the ones with around 240 ac and perfect block. You trade a dragon jewel for an obsidian but you gain enough ac to not be scared of lava maws and storm lords. I think Balrogs are still 270 ac so have fun when you meet their unique friend.
Quote:The reason I didn't mention a warrior with an awesome fpm is that it's not low ac if you have effective ac against any monster.

But I will agree with that point. The best warriors I've ever come across were the ones with around 240 ac and perfect block. You trade a dragon jewel for an obsidian but you gain enough ac to not be scared of lava maws and storm lords. I think Balrogs are still 270 ac so have fun when you meet their unique friend.

yea Blackskull and his crew are certainly an unfriendly bunch, even with high ac, though with 270 thats usually enough to go toe to toe if you have some leverage. He has one serious weakness too, he has NO fire resistance unlike the rest, so if your warrior has a decent magic stat he can possibly fireball this fella, and it usually only takes maybe 2-3 of them. I generally do prefer high ac here though. Killing this guy and his pack as a LAW is of course doable but its more hassle then its worth. I love playing LAW against normal balrogs though, since they waste so much time with inferno breath so i can even use ksov on them as long as I dont get surrounded.

I gave up playing LAW vs Storms a long time ago. Simply not worth the hassle at all. Part of the idea of playing LAW is to make the game experience a bit more challenging but this is just more frustration then challenge if you ask me. Just about everything else though is fair game.

Quote:Yes, storms are worse than maws.

DEX vs. AC is an interesting dilemma when developing a young (untwinked) warrior. There are no hard and fast rules at that point, because you have to deal with the equipment you are able to find. A lot of times you go for as much of both as you can get and swap for resistances when they are needed. But if I had the gear you listed in the other post, where the low AC setup essentially trades 270 AC for 50 mana, the obsidian armor would not be worth 6 inventory spaces to me. You still have relatively good mana and great dexterity with the 270 AC. The low AC setup is basically a fashion statement at that point, although the extra mana is slightly superior against witches.

With a bow rogue, I don't really want any enemies to be within melee range of me, so low AC is just fine. The extra mana will be used as life buffer, casting offensive spells, or teleporting *away* from oncoming enemies. But certainly with any class, if one wants to teleport into the enemy (to do fast cave clears or play recklessly in general) then high AC would be very helpful. My line of thinking with warriors is that, even if you intend to play very carefully, low AC still means you will spend a lot of time blocking instead of completing attacks. The hybridized setups allow you to get most of the benefits of the berzerk warrior while completely dominating the fast attackers in caves or early hell.

Yea I know what you mean. For a lower lvl warrior thats untwinked, I think AC plays a much more vital role (even if you get the perfect block) just because your dmg is way less, and you dont crit as often. The high ac will be more useful for such a warrior that isnt killing as fast.

As much as I love my warriors Awes Stars, I still play low ac more often just for the thrill of things so the Obs Stars is usually what I wear. My warrior can only carry 2 gold piles!! Yea pretty absurd I know, but I carry all my PvM and PvP gear on him at once, since hes 50 and I often duel with friends after we finish a good ol' fashioned arse whooping of hell/hell. In addition to his equipped items, he has 2 helms, 2 armors, 4 swords, and 6 jewels in his inventory. He uses everything. Only thing that never comes off is his Obsidian Tiger Tower shield.

I used to play low ac healing rogue all the time, and still do on occasion but generally I prefer to play her with high ac now. Guess ive gotten more lazy in my old age. But a good part of that is that I can get 165 magic (w/o the use of Dream Flange) with 290 ac (as bow rogue) and its just too hard to pass that up, hehe. Its like having a tank mage that can use a bow, basically, but with much higher physical dmg so tripple immunes are never a factor. Like my warrior, she is 50 and carries all her PvM and PvP gear on her, though she can at least carry 9 gold piles rather then just two. I kind of wish she could carry her old Obsidian Stars crown but eh, as I play PvP more now I guess I have very little use for it anyway since she uses RC exclusively at this point, both PvM and PvP.