I'm being replaced!
So I changed by handle a while ago, and have been putting off the explanation until photographic proof was available... well, here's the proof (warning: huge pictures)!!!

Since I have no friends IRL, I must come to an online community to share my personal joy, and news: my wife gave birth to our fist child, a 9 lb. 7 oz., 21 1/2 inch long son, on April 14th, and so I am no longer the young-master, but simply the master of the house (and my wife gave me permission to say that, thank you). After three weeks of leave from work, I've been back for a week now (Henry's 4 weeks old today) and am realizing that my wife and I are in way over our heads.

After the appropriate ceremonial activity, life settled into a relaively relaxed pace. However, the return to work has been an experiment in sleep deprivation. Henry has a problem in that he's nocturnal (nocturial as well, but that's a different story), and frequently has episodes of reflux after eating. These two things combined means he prefers to stay awake for 1-1.5 after every feeding (including those at 11PM, 2AM and 5AM. So I'm trying to do my best to give my wife a break, and help out with these feeding sessions, and get a chance to spend some time with the munchkin now that I'm out of the house for 12 hrs a day again, so I've decided to become a willful insomniac. My new motto is "No sleep 'til Brooklyn!" and I'm not intending to take the trip up to NYC for several months.

How shocking a feeling to be a parent. And the wierdest thing is that they let us just walk out of the hospital after 2 days of caring for the thing. No instructions, no maintenance manual, no FAQ, no home inspection (thank whatever gods may be), no lisence testing, not one of the hospital folks were interested in seeing resumes from my wife or I, no credit check, and no background check either. It took less time to walk away with a baby than with a gun. Seriously folks, this is scary.

Regardless, I'll stop going on about this, as I've completely forgotten where I'm going with this. The bottom line is: it seems clear now who is in charge, and it's not me or my wife anymore.
but often it happens you know / that the things you don't trust are the ones you need most....
Opening lines of "Psalm" by Hey Rosetta!
Congratulations :w00t:

My heart did the predictable flip-flop when I saw those photographs. :wub:

May the parenting adventure go well. B)

And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Congratulations :)

Maitre,May 12 2006, 10:57 AM Wrote:It took less time to walk away with a baby than with a gun.  Seriously folks, this is scary.[right][snapback]109721[/snapback][/right]

Wow, I never really thought of it that way, but you bring up an interesting point.
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
Mithrandir,May 12 2006, 11:25 AM Wrote:Congratulations :)
Wow, I never really thought of it that way, but you bring up an interesting point.
[right][snapback]109726[/snapback][/right]
Guns don't kill people, babies who grow up to use guns unlawfully (or carelessly) kill people with guns.

"Teach, your children well . . . "

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Congrats!

If you think he's demanding now, just wait till he can actually get out of the crib. :)

Smithy
Occhidiangela,May 12 2006, 08:30 PM Wrote:"Teach, your children well . . . "
[right][snapback]109728[/snapback][/right]
It'd be nice if the children wanted to listen :P
Hugs are good, but smashing is better! - Clarence<!--sizec--><!--/sizec-->
roguebanshee,May 12 2006, 01:41 PM Wrote:It'd be nice if the children wanted to listen :P
[right][snapback]109731[/snapback][/right]
They do, the real trick is teaching them in words and ideas they can grasp.

Easy to say, not so easy to do. Stubbed my toe many a time on that score.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Hi,

Congratulations :)

Don't fret about the lack of sleep, or the changes to your life. Pretty soon everything will be back to normal and you'll wonder where the twenty one years went ;)

-Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Grats. And your last sentence is rather telling on todays society of of young people.
Congratulations for you and Mrs. Maitre. Happy 1st mothers day for her.

The new Juene Maitre is wonderful! I remember holding my newborn youngest with tears streaming down my face for no particular reason. It's hard to explain to the uninitiated. He will soon convert to your time cycles, but the first few weeks require alot of support for both new moms and dads. I won't say that it gets any easier because your challenges just change, but I do know you will never regret a moment.

”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Pete,May 12 2006, 03:58 PM Wrote:Pretty soon everything will be back to normal and you'll wonder where the twenty one years went ;)
[right][snapback]109736[/snapback][/right]

Heh, the last ten-years since I had my four children went by so fast, I swear it feels like my wife and I were just married a year and a half ago. It's unreal how quickly time speeds up when you have children, but boy are they worth it :w00t: !

P.S., the last of sleep thing won't last too long. The real challenge is when they start walking and getting into everything and just when you thought your house was "baby-proof", you realize it really wasn't at all.

Congratulations, BTW.
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
Congratulations to you and your wife :)
"Just as individuals are born, mature, breed and die, so do societies, civilizations and governments."
Muad'Dib - Children of Dune
Pete,May 12 2006, 05:58 PM Wrote:and you'll wonder where the twenty one years went ;)
[right][snapback]109736[/snapback][/right]

25 if he finds a job nearby and likes living at home... You *will* have all the coolest toys by then, right? *whistle*
Congratulations!

Just remember to get him started on the right path early.

Which, of course, means weaning him on Diablo 2 until he's ready for the expansion pack. Hold off on the battle.net until you're ready for one of those lengthy, "barbarians and the amazons" type discussions.

:P
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. At least you'll be a mile away from them and you'll have their shoes." ~?

Stonemaul - Sneakybast, 51 Rogue
Terenas - Sneaksmccoy, 1 Rogue

Sword of Omens, give me sight beyond sight!
Maitre,May 12 2006, 08:57 AM Wrote:So I changed by handle a while ago, and have been putting off the explanation until photographic proof was available... well, here's the proof (warning: huge pictures)!!!

Since I have no friends IRL, I must come to an online community to share my personal joy, and news: my wife gave birth to our fist child, a 9 lb. 7 oz., 21 1/2 inch long son, on April 14th, and so I am no longer the young-master, but simply the master of the house (and my wife gave me permission to say that, thank you).&nbsp; After three weeks of leave from work, I've been back for a week now (Henry's 4 weeks old today) and am realizing that my wife and I are in way over our heads.

After the appropriate ceremonial activity, life settled into a relaively relaxed pace.&nbsp; However, the return to work has been an experiment in sleep deprivation.&nbsp; Henry&nbsp; has a problem in that he's nocturnal (nocturial as well, but that's a different story), and frequently has episodes of reflux after eating.&nbsp; These two things combined means he prefers to stay awake for 1-1.5 after every feeding (including those at 11PM, 2AM and 5AM.&nbsp; So I'm trying to do my best to give my wife a break, and help out with these feeding sessions, and get a chance to spend some time with the munchkin now that I'm out of the house for 12 hrs a day again, so I've decided to become a willful insomniac.&nbsp; My new motto is "No sleep 'til Brooklyn!" and I'm not intending to take the trip up to NYC for several months.

How shocking a feeling to be a parent.&nbsp; And the wierdest thing is that they let us just walk out of the hospital after 2 days of caring for the thing.&nbsp; No instructions, no maintenance manual, no FAQ, no home inspection (thank whatever gods may be), no lisence testing, not one of the hospital folks were interested in seeing resumes from my wife or I, no credit check, and no background check either.&nbsp; It took less time to walk away with a baby than with a gun.&nbsp; Seriously folks, this is scary.

Regardless, I'll stop going on about this, as I've completely forgotten where I'm going with this.&nbsp; The bottom line is: it seems clear now who is in charge, and it's not me or my wife anymore.
[right][snapback]109721[/snapback][/right]

Congrats! You have entered a whole new phase of your life and there is no going back. Mostly, it's a good thing.

Don't get upset if you look at yourself in 3-4 years from now and think that you've aged 6-8 years. That's normal ;)

I'm not kidding, btw.

However, if raised right, the kid(s) make it totally worthwhile :)

-A
Ashock,May 16 2006, 01:26 PM Wrote:However, if raised right, the kid(s) make it totally worthwhile&nbsp; :)
-A
[right][snapback]110054[/snapback][/right]
If not, consider looking up the Kevorkian Institute in the Yellow Pages. :shuriken:

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Ashock,May 16 2006, 02:26 PM Wrote:However, if raised right, the kid(s) make it totally worthwhile  :)
-A
[right][snapback]110054[/snapback][/right]

As someone who builds economic models for a living, I think that conclusion is entirely dependant on how you value the outcomes, and what your willingness-to-pay threshold is for "pride in children."

On a less technical note, thanks to all those who offered congratulations. Now that The Boy has been home for a while, I'm beginning to devalue that word, and place enormous value on the phrase "I'll come over and take care of him for a while." The value is based entirely on how long you'd like to watch him, and whether you'll be changing as well as feeding him. The best is when my sister-in-law comes over. She's an OT (occupational therapist) and she does this amazing massage thing... no, no, on the kid. Keeps him quiet for, like, hours.

edit: speling and gramr
but often it happens you know / that the things you don't trust are the ones you need most....
Maitre,May 17 2006, 11:39 AM Wrote:The best is when my sister-in-law comes over.&nbsp; She's an OT (occupational therapist) and she does this amazing massage thing... no, no, on the kid.&nbsp; Keeps him quiet for, like, hours.
[right][snapback]110162[/snapback][/right]

*Considers a joke about "maitre" being idiomatic Cajun slang for "kid" and discards the notion.* :P

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,May 17 2006, 01:28 PM Wrote:*Considers a joke about "maitre" being idiomatic Cajun slang for "kid" and discards the notion.*&nbsp; &nbsp; :P

Occhi
[right][snapback]110164[/snapback][/right]

*Considers bird pun. Nothing better than a beak joke comes to mind. Slinks back to work*
Maitre,May 17 2006, 10:39 AM Wrote:"pride in children."
[right][snapback]110162[/snapback][/right]

Bah, who's talking about that! I'm talking about fewer headaches B)

-A