Incinerators (unused monsters) (in mods)
I know them, I activated them myself with the diablo.exe modding utilities. IMO they looked and acted fine enough, they were even frightening in the start... But I remember saving and loading in SP... and a CRASH. Btw, no problem noticed while in (lonely) MP. But I witnessed it more in SP.
Was it their fault?
Good night.
Not sure what would cause the crash, but I'm gonna ask outta curiousity.. what was their attact type, how do they attack, and what happens when they die? Also, in what area do they appear, and how strong are they? I'm just a lil curious about those guys - they look so intriguin.
Gateway: USA East
Sorcerer: Force_11.06.04.
Warrior: ForceLuvsSheFlex
LAW: Force_Nov.06.04.

Luvin my babe forever.. =))
Force,May 12 2006, 11:28 PM Wrote:Not sure what would cause the crash, but I'm gonna ask outta curiousity.. what was their attact type, how do they attack, and what happens when they die? Also, in what area do they appear, and how strong are they? I'm just a lil curious about those guys - they look so intriguin.
[right][snapback]109732[/snapback][/right]
Since I don't recall public Diablo modifications which like this creature, I'd dare spoil it for ya:

They look like jumping (""dancing"") fire lights. While so, they cannot be targeted (wow, like the vultures from Diablo 2 :D). They (and only they) jump over lava. Lava because they appear between levels 8 and 13. They stop to shape like fire people. When they do that they start shooting barrages of slow *light* missiles, which, while weak, can easily swarm you. They're trouble in groups. They're relatively easy to kill - the fun is to MANAGE to hit 'em :P. And they're quite resistant to magic. Immune magic fire at least... When they die they burst into sparks that lay suspended in air, ewh. And here's the catch that makes modsters become sissy ( :) no offence) because of this monster's ugliness... When they attack their human shape diffuses into three parts, because of graphics incompatibility. While some find this ugly and buggy, I just find it kwl, ghostly. I remember some crashes related to loading the game, while Incinerators were on sight but don't blame them right now. But still...
Good night.
Ages ago, I wrote a small mod that turned on all deactivated monsters (except for those with no gfx in the MPQ file) and made them all appear on dlvl 1 (while turning off all monsters which normally appear on dlvl 1). It certainly never crashed.

If anybody else wants to see the Incinerators, you can get the mod here. Note: the mod is written using my .mod file format, so you will need to use the included DPatch utility to apply it. DPatch is a command line utility. If you execute DPatch from the command line without any parameters, it will display the correct parameters for it. Alternatively, since the .mod file is identical to a .dat file (it uses .exe offsets instead of memroy offsets), you could recalculate the memory addresses, and rename the file as a .dat file and run it with DHack.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
Ebon,May 13 2006, 03:33 AM Wrote:They look like jumping (""dancing"") fire lights. While so, they cannot be targeted (wow, like the vultures from Diablo 2 :D). They (and only they) jump over lava. Lava because they appear between levels 8 and 13. They stop to shape like fire people. When they do that they start shooting barrages of slow *light* missiles, which, while weak, can easily swarm you. They're trouble in groups. They're relatively easy to kill - the fun is to MANAGE to hit 'em :P. And they're quite resistant to magic. Immune magic fire at least... When they die they burst into sparks that lay suspended in air, ewh. And here's the catch that makes modsters become sissy ( :) no offence) because of this monster's ugliness... When they attack their human shape diffuses into three parts, because of graphics incompatibility. While some find this ugly and buggy, I just find it kwl, ghostly. I remember some crashes related to loading the game, while Incinerators were on sight but don't blame them right now. But still...
[right][snapback]109766[/snapback][/right]

Wow, that's quite interestin. Perhaps the most unique monster-AI I've read about. Um, Lennylen, I'm not that computer-savy (even though this is most likely general stuff), and I'm not quite sure about command-lines and the such. I was hopin there would've been some kinda .exe thing for the mod, kinda like Abysmal. Either way, the mod sounds quite interestin.

Quote:I was hopin there would've been some kinda .exe thing for the mod, kinda like Abysmal.

The reason I wrote DPatch was so that people (well, me in particular) could distribute mods without having to send large .exe files (the .mod file that I wrote to add the hidden monsetrs is only 2kb). ;)

But since I now have broadband, here is the mod in .exe format. Just copy it to your Diablo (1.09) folder and run it.

It's actually quite fortunate that you want it that way, since when I went to apply the .mod file, I realized that the copy of DPatch that I linked to earlier was a later version that had a bug in it.

So for anyone who would rather download a 30Kb file than a 300Kb file, get DPatch and monsters.mod here instead.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?"

-W.C. Fields
EDIT: Argh, accidently double posted. Someone delete this one - I can't seem to. :blush:

LennyLen,May 13 2006, 12:07 PM Wrote:The reason I wrote DPatch was so that people (well, me in particular) could distribute mods without having to send large .exe files (the .mod file that I wrote to add the hidden monsetrs is only 2kb). ;)

But since I now have broadband, here is the mod in .exe format. Just copy it to your Diablo (1.09) folder and run it.

It's actually quite fortunate that you want it that way, since when I went to apply the .mod file, I realized that the copy of DPatch that I linked to earlier was a later version that had a bug in it.

So for anyone who would rather download a 30Kb file than a 300Kb file, get DPatch and monsters.mod here instead.
[right][snapback]109810[/snapback][/right]

Whoa, wth.. I just tried that mod of yours, and those incinerator guys were wierd. For some reason, though, there's a monster called "Lich Demon", but it looks exactly the same as some kinda Lightnin Demon. I wish there was some kinda mod with all those monsters, brand new quests, and just a bunch of other nifty shiz.

Btw, the Invisible Lords scared me.. They have 1115 hp!! They do succumb to fireball rather easily, though.