Why i didnt go see MI3
I guess I wasnt alone. http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Movies/05/...e.ap/index.html

It wasnt that I disliked Cruise because they mocked him. Hes a dork but hes made plenty of movies I had fun watching.

It was when Viacom refused to air the episode again so Tom would promote MI3.
http://www.postchronicle.com/news/entertai..._21210723.shtml I know media companies manipulate us daily. But its rare that they so brazenly treat their customers as pawns.

That annoyed me. I wouldnt call it a boycott, it just made me feel like not going to the movies.

Of course Ill probably still watch it later on vidio.
Ghostiger,May 7 2006, 04:48 PM Wrote:Of course Ill probably still watch it later on vidio.
[right][snapback]109190[/snapback][/right]

Having been a fan of the original television series, I was very disappointed with the story of the first Mission Impossible movie, as I really don't believe Ethen Hawks boss would have betrayed him in that manner. Nonetheless, if you strip away the name "Mission Impossible," I like the movie just for what it was as a stand-alone.

The second movie was a joke! That gun shoot out/chase scene at the end was so ridiculous, I remember leaving the theatre saying to myself, "I paid money for this?"

I won't bother seeing MI-III in the theatres, but as Ghost said, I'll probably rent it when it hits the local Blockbuster.

On a side note Ghost, I've noticed that almost all of your typical responses of late have shrunk from multiple paragraphs dissecting the meaning of a post to a few short sentences (if that) without any real substance. Why the abrupt change in writing habits if you don't mind me asking?
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
I wouldnt say my posts lack substance. They mostly make a specific point.

Ussually my longest posts are when someone disagrees with not my opinion but my analysis or facts. That hasnt happened so much lately.
The Viacom/South Park thing seemed like a urban-legend-meme (albeit with a grain of truth) to me, but as the article notes, his behavior in the last year has made me think twice about seeing anything with him in it. When my cat yowls at 5am, I don't feed it because that just encourages it!

Admittedly, the hype engine piqued my interest (I enjoyed MI1), so I downloaded the trailer and was completely underwhelmed. Lots of explosions, etc., and the bad guy saying he'll find and torture the love interest blah blah blah. Oh and some government types saying something like, "It's Hunt!" in shocked/knowing voices.

Wake me when Superman comes out or the new X-men.

So, hold on.

Tom Cruise doesn't promote his new movie, and a South Park episode gets aired.

Sounds like a win-win situation.
"One day, o-n-e day..."
SwissMercenary,May 8 2006, 01:02 PM Wrote:So, hold on.

Tom Cruise doesn't promote his new movie, and a South Park episode gets aired.

Sounds like a win-win situation.
[right][snapback]109239[/snapback][/right]

Touché sir.

The only reason I would want to see MI:3 would be for Philip Semour Hoffman. Honestly, has the guy ever done anything that was not awesome? He was even the lone high point of the otherwise utterly underwhelming Along Came Polly, for example. Stolen from imdb.com:

Quote:Sandy Lyle: [Shooting basketball] White chocolate!

I concur that Cruise is pretty retarded, but I think he gets more flak than he deserves just because he is more outspoken about his Scientology beliefs tha most others. Personally, I feel like it takes just as much of a leap of faith to believe the things Scientologists do as it does to believe that someone can rise from the dead, walk on water, and mass produce bread from nothing. But whatever. I'll wait for MI:3 to be on DVD to see it.
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
Mithrandir,May 9 2006, 02:46 AM Wrote:Touché sir.

The only reason I would want to see MI:3 would be for Philip Semour Hoffman. Honestly, has the guy ever done anything that was not awesome? He was even the lone high point of the otherwise utterly underwhelming Along Came Polly, for example. Stolen from imdb.com:
I concur that Cruise is pretty retarded, but I think he gets more flak than he deserves just because he is more outspoken about his Scientology beliefs tha most others. Personally, I feel like it takes just as much of a leap of faith to believe the things Scientologists do as it does to believe that someone can rise from the dead, walk on water, and mass produce bread from nothing. But whatever. I'll wait for MI:3 to be on DVD to see it.
[right][snapback]109312[/snapback][/right]
It takes a lack of detailed understanding to miss the salient point that Scientology was made up by a Sci Fi author looking for his first million. I suggest you look into Operation Clambake. That might give you a hint at understanding the profound difference between a Faith and a Scam.

Or it won't.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
In general, using the word "retarded" in that context does not encourage people to have a favorable impression of you.
Why can't we all just get along

--Pete
Griselda,May 9 2006, 06:53 AM Wrote:In general, using the word "retarded" in that context does not encourage people to have a favorable impression of you.
[right][snapback]109330[/snapback][/right]
A particularly poignant underline to your remonstrance is Cruise's revelation some years ago that he was dyslexic. If you recall the discussion we had elsewhere, the early stages of the Tech work wonders for some people, according to a mutual friend. It comes as little surprise that Cruise would be loyal to a system that helped him overcome a learning disability.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Griselda,May 9 2006, 07:53 AM Wrote:In general, using the word "retarded" in that context does not encourage people to have a favorable impression of you.
[right][snapback]109330[/snapback][/right]

Why?

Main Entry: re·tard·ed
Pronunciation: ri-'tär-d&d
Function: adjective
sometimes offensive : slow or limited in intellectual or emotional development or academic progress

Seems relatively benign to me.

Quote:It takes a lack of detailed understanding to miss the salient point that Scientology was made up by a Sci Fi author looking for his first million. I suggest you look into Operation Clambake. That might give you a hint at understanding the profound difference between a Faith and a Scam.

No need for me to google Operation Clambake - I am quite aware of how Scientology began. I am not going to open this can of worms however, because I'll step on some toes and some people will get pissed and it'll just be messy in general.
--Mith

I would rather be ashes than dust! I would rather that my spark should burn out in a brilliant blaze than it should be stifled by dry rot. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet. The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Jack London
Mithrandir,May 9 2006, 11:00 AM Wrote:Why?
I'll step on some toes [right][snapback]109365[/snapback][/right]
You already did, however, I will join you in dropping it. Well played. :)

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
It didnt bother me.
Occhidiangela,May 9 2006, 12:02 PM Wrote:You already did, however, I will join you in dropping it.  Well played.  :)

Occhi
[right][snapback]109366[/snapback][/right]

I can step on toes too... while passing the collection plate... and asking for tax exemption.

:P
Chesspiece_face,May 9 2006, 07:16 PM Wrote:I can step on toes too...  while passing the collection plate...  and asking for tax exemption.

:P
[right][snapback]109430[/snapback][/right]
The motivation of my second post was to nip in the bud yet another religion discussion/bashing exercise on the Lounge.

How about you play along, rather than try to put flame bait back on a hook?

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
I saw a couple of interviews with Cruise years ago, and even though he is not retarded, his level of intelligence is pretty much non-existent. He sometimes talks as though he's heard some pretty profound things, but simply can not understand them. Typical case of a big-time actor assuming he is actually as smart and capable as some of the characters he plays.

Having said that, I've actually enjoyed many of his movies. He is a talented actor. He just can't think very well.

-A
Ashock,May 10 2006, 02:43 PM Wrote:Having said that, I've actually enjoyed many of his movies. He is a talented actor. He just can't think very well.
-A
[right][snapback]109517[/snapback][/right]
That's not what he's paid to do. :rolleyes:

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
I enjoyed Tom Cruise the most during the middle of his career. The early days of Risky Business, Cocktail, Top Gun, Born on the Fourth of July, and Days of Thunder never really impressed me (although, admittedly, I was only 5 for Days of Thunder and not born yet for Risky Business so maybe I just "missed" the time period).

I though The Firm, A Few Good Men, and the first M:I were pretty good however. Of his recent work, I enjoyed The Last Samurai as well.
--Mith

Jack London
Mithrandir,May 10 2006, 02:57 PM Wrote:I enjoyed The Last Samurai as well.
[right][snapback]109521[/snapback][/right]
That was a pleasant surprise, better than I expected. Lucky for him, he didn't have to carry the movie. Ken Watanabe did a great job.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Mithrandir,May 10 2006, 04:57 PM Wrote:I enjoyed Tom Cruise the most during the middle of his career. The early days of Risky Business, Cocktail, Top Gun, Born on the Fourth of July, and Days of Thunder never really impressed me (although, admittedly, I was only 5 for Days of Thunder and not born yet for Risky Business so maybe I just "missed" the time period).

I though The Firm, A Few Good Men, and the first M:I were pretty good however. Of his recent work, I enjoyed The Last Samurai as well.
[right][snapback]109521[/snapback][/right]

Top Gun was pretty good, and Days of Thunder was okay as well (the first time I saw it was the in-flight while flying KLM from Toronto to Amsterdam). Risky Business was an okay "I'll watch it once" film, but it really sucks if you watch it again.

The only Tom Cruise film that knocked my socks off was "War of the Worlds", and it was despite of him. I hated every part of Cruise's contribution to it, but I loved the movie nonetheless.

Overall, I think that Tom Cruise is 50% insane and 50% jackass.
Occhidiangela,May 10 2006, 05:05 PM Wrote:That was a pleasant surprise, better than I expected.  Lucky for him, he didn't have to carry the movie.  Ken Watanabe did a great job.

Occhi
[right][snapback]109536[/snapback][/right]
I liked the part where he got the crap beat out of him. I kept cheering him to get up and take some more abuse. But, then I had to watch "Eyes Wide Shut" so I figure he had it coming.
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]