Sports Stars or Phony Primadonnas?
Well, it appears that Ricky Williams is outies. That would make the second big name stink since Terrell Owens got suspended by the Eagles. What with Vikings being indicted for throwing inappropriate boat parties and Redskins facing prison time, I seriously question what the NFL is coming to. Even the NBA isn't guilt-free; what with that hullabaloo with the Pacers and Pistonsa while back (although I'm siding more with the NBA players on that one). What have America's professional sports come to? It's as if the love of the money is eclipsing the love of the game. Even though it may be highly entertaining to watch, I can't help but notice that these outbursts are the reasons why Team USA always gets blown out at the Olympics (basketball, of course.)
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. At least you'll be a mile away from them and you'll have their shoes." ~?

Stonemaul - Sneakybast, 51 Rogue
Terenas - Sneaksmccoy, 1 Rogue

Sword of Omens, give me sight beyond sight!
Toronto Blue Jays sophomore lefty Gustavo Chacin is now in the cologne business.

Quote:When Chacin made his major league debut in September of 2004, radio hosts Landry and Gord Stellick from Fan 590 joked that the pitcher's name (pronounced "shah-SEEN") sounded like a cologne brand. For the next 18 months "Chacin Cologne" became a running gag on the radio station, as Landry and Stellick used it in skits and a phony Super Bowl ad.

Eventually the Jays caught on and hooked up with Markham-based Leslie Cosmetics, who helped turn the radio hosts' joke into a unisex fragrance headed to store shelves later this year.

It's stuff like this that makes the circus of professional sport worthwhile :)

[Image: chacin9cf.jpg]
Premezilla,Apr 25 2006, 11:31 PM Wrote:Well, it appears that Ricky Williams is outies.  [right][snapback]108219[/snapback][/right]
T.O. is now the Dallas Cowboys' newest drama queen. So far, the diva's voice is good enough that the conductor doesn't mind her irritating personal foibles.

As to Ricky Williams, consider this.
Quote:Said CBS analyst Dan Dierdorf: "It's such a waste. It looked like Ricky Williams defied the odds and began to win back the trust of coaches and teammates. He resurrected a career that I didn't think was capable of being resurrected. I guess football would not be his No. 1 priority. If it was, this wouldn't have happened."
So what if Ricky Williams' number one priority isn't football?

He is free to be something other than what a bunch of hypesters in the sports media, and his percentage grasping agent, wish he would be: a guy dedicated heart and soul to football who feeds their cash cow. OK, call it a shame that a fellow with his gift for football puts it aside, in the view of the fans, but maybe Ricky has heard another voice in his head.

Maybe he is burned out on football. Maybe the fire left his belly.

It happens. Barry Sanders left before he'd burned himself out.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Premezilla,Apr 26 2006, 12:31 AM Wrote:What have America's professional sports come to?  It's as if the love of the money is eclipsing the love of the game. 
[right][snapback]108219[/snapback][/right]
This eclipse has had Americans in the dark for quite some time now...

--Copadope
I dont see a "topic" in there.

Your 4 examples from The NFL are the same as would be found in any business that employed 1-2 thousand employees(players).

-Suspended for failing a drug test.
-Fired for not getting along with others.
-Busted(possibly) for getting lap dances from strippers.
-Busted for waving a gun around.

Sounds like players have a some bad apples most other groups of Americans lumped together by some rather arbitrary trait(they can play foot ball.)

You making a topic implies something special is going on - I really dont see it.

Ghostiger,Apr 26 2006, 05:57 PM Wrote:I dont see a "topic" in there.

Your 4 examples from The NFL are the same as would be found in any business that employed 1-2 thousand employees(players).

-Suspended for failing a drug test.
-Fired for not getting along with others.
-Busted(possibly) for getting lap dances from strippers.
-Busted for waving a gun around.
Sounds like players have a some bad apples most other groups of Americans lumped together by some rather arbitrary trait(they can play foot ball.)
You making a topic implies something special is going on - I really dont see it.
[right][snapback]108307[/snapback][/right]
Ghostiger:

Most American employees are not entertainers, nor are they on national TV as they discharge the duties of their jobs. That said, I tend to agree with the assessment that too much attention is paid to professional athletes. The "role model" myth is a false idol.

I think part of the interest comes from the plethora of sports "journalists," with each having to find something new to dig into for his or her Pulitzer prize. 24/7 sports coverage amplifies this problem.

Over exposure is another way agents get name recognition for their clients so their endorsement deals are more lucrative . . . for which the agent often gets a percentage.

I never wanted to know about Arnold Palmer's colon ailments, for example.

The handwringing over an athlete's fall is, IMO, over done. These folks have an opportunity to live extraordinary lives, but some, as you point out, screw it up.

Is Schadenfreud the basis of the public interest? Could be.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Apr 26 2006, 03:38 AM Wrote:So what if Ricky Williams' number one priority isn't football? 
[right][snapback]108239[/snapback][/right]

There is a good possibility that he loves the grass more than the turf.

Occhidiangela,Apr 26 2006, 03:38 AM Wrote:Maybe he is burned out on football.  Maybe the fire left his belly. 
[right][snapback]108239[/snapback][/right]

This is another good possibility. He had been playing football all his life, ever since he was a wee lad playing pickup games in the street.

IMO, this is what happens when football becomes a means to an end; just another job.
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. At least you'll be a mile away from them and you'll have their shoes." ~?

Occhidiangela,Apr 27 2006, 03:56 AM Wrote:That said, I tend to agree with the assessment that too much attention is paid to professional athletes.  The "role model" myth is a false idol.

I think part of the interest comes from the plethora of sports "journalists," with each having to find something new to dig into for his or her Pulitzer prize.  24/7 sports coverage amplifies this problem. 

Over exposure is another way agents get name recognition for their clients so their endorsement deals are more lucrative . . . for which the agent often gets a percentage.
[right][snapback]108328[/snapback][/right]

I think you look at this from a too "small" point of view. You "blame" journalists and agents for this demise in sports.
I think this is just one of the outwashes that belongs so much to capitalism (please don't try to see this as an anticapitalistic piece, that is not my intent), and maybe more so to the "american dream", which no longer is just something for the US but in europe it is exactly the same.

First the old romans allready knew that you need to show games to keep the people quiet. Our society nowadays looks much like the roman one. A small group of people in charge...with a lot of money, and a large group of people, that are basicly just there to support the system that keeps the rich people rich.
You can show sports on TV and even make large amounts of money with it, because of commercials....and of course players get their share. As long as we keep watching every small unimportant fact about player a or b on TV journalist will keep making that rubbish.

The part about the american (european) dream is also very important. It is useful to show all these "normal" people from very poor backgrounds that now are incredibaly rich. This shows that everybody can "make it" (although only a small percentage of everybody how tries can really make it (in professional sport there is only room for a few thousand athletes). But it gives people hope...they think "one day I can make it as well". And if you give normal people hope....they will not complain very soon.
I dont think youe read what Occhi said.

I dont think reporters/media have caused a "demise of sports." I think most sports are mostly doing just fine with the exception of steroid issues. I think the NBA has some play quality issues, but I also think thats being addressed thanks the infusion of quality skilled played from Europe.

I think sports have always had an an abundance of imature players with over fed egos. Before reporters hid it, now they over report it. I dont think the sports and athletes have changed in that respect, the media has changed.

I think that was Occhis point.
Premezilla,Apr 25 2006, 10:31 PM Wrote:Well, it appears that Ricky Williams is outies.  That would make the second big name stink since Terrell Owens got suspended by the Eagles.  What with Vikings being indicted for throwing inappropriate boat parties and Redskins facing prison time, I seriously question what the NFL is coming to.  Even the NBA isn't guilt-free; what with that hullabaloo with the Pacers and Pistonsa while back (although I'm siding more with the NBA players on that one).  What have America's professional sports come to?  It's as if the love of the money is eclipsing the love of the game.  Even though it may be highly entertaining to watch, I can't help but notice that these outbursts are the reasons why Team USA always gets blown out at the Olympics (basketball, of course.)
[right][snapback]108219[/snapback][/right]

You forgot Dennis Rodman! How could you forget this publicity seeker?
"The true value of a human being is determined primarily by the measure and the sense in which he has attained liberation from the self." -Albert Einsetin
He retired 6 years ago. This kind of reinforces my point about this whole thread being a non-issue.
Ghostiger,Apr 28 2006, 03:10 PM Wrote:I dont think youe read what Occhi said.

I dont think reporters/media have caused a "demise of sports." I think most sports are mostly doing just fine with the exception of steroid issues. I think the NBA has some play quality issues, but I also think thats being addressed thanks the infusion of quality skilled played from Europe.

I think sports have always had an an abundance of imature players with over fed egos. Before reporters hid it, now they over report it. I dont think the sports and athletes have changed in that respect, the media has changed.

I think that was Occhis point.
[right][snapback]108505[/snapback][/right]

And I think eppie was saying, "True, but it's not limited to these people, it's systemic; it's a part of the society."

Eppie was in fact agreeing with you.

So, is Bush our Caligula or would that have been Nixon?
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek
MEAT,Apr 28 2006, 01:47 PM Wrote:You forgot Dennis Rodman! How could you forget this publicity seeker?
[right][snapback]108508[/snapback][/right]

Forgot, or subconsciously suppressed? He wasn't really "harmful," just "goofy," IMO.

I don't think any of this is really new. Having incredible athletic ability, or even incredibly refined skills at your craft, does not guarantee above average character or intellect. When someone who is a little off gets a lot of money and fame, strange things can happen (e.g. Paris Hilton). The overwhelming monetary possibilities in the big 3 sports have been around for all of my lifetime.

If anything has really changed in this regard in the last 20 years, I would say it is the growth of ESPN and other sports' media, taking us away from box scores and standings in the newspaper and into an era of 24 hour highlights and commentary. In a 1980 USAToday box score, a touchdown was a touchdown no matter what happens after it. But on SportsCenter today, the more ridiculous your celebration is, the more likely that your touchdown will make the highlight reels. Whether or not this actually encourages ridiculous behavior, it certainly makes all of us overly aware of it any time something ridiculous happens.

Some things go well beyond the realms of ridiculous though. I saw a minor league star prospect on SportsCenter the other day throwing his bat at the umpire (and hitting him in the chest with it) after taking a called third strike. That kid will be taking a long vacation from professional baseball now. But it makes me wonder... what would we see if we could watch Ty Cobb or the Bambino on Sports Center every night?
Nystul,Apr 29 2006, 07:00 PM Wrote:But it makes me wonder... what would we see if we could watch Ty Cobb or the Bambino on Sports Center every night?
[right][snapback]108560[/snapback][/right]
You'd see a lot of cigars, hot dogs, and a not quite athletic build, in the case of Ruth.

Cigars and Hookers, that's what a superstar craves.

Now that you mention it, Nystul, little has changed beyond the brand of what people are smoking and/or drinking. :lol:

I'll have a Guinness, since we are on that subject. Yes, I know it's breakfast time, but it's a great bread substitute.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete
I believe Paris Hilton's actions have in fact been calculated to do exactly what they have done: made her a household name.
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek
Rinnhart,Apr 30 2006, 08:58 AM Wrote:I believe Paris Hilton's actions have in fact been calculated to do exactly what they have done: made her a household name.
[right][snapback]108583[/snapback][/right]
Oscar Wilde Wrote:The only thing worse than being talked about, is not being talked about.

I hope Oscar Wilde rots in hell. Well, maybe not, but it seems some people have taken his quip and tried to turn it into a raison d' etre. Mirror sales have, of course, benefitted from all this.

Occhi
In Memory of Pete