Looking for pictures of weapons and armor for FRPG
I am looking for some site or place with pictures of armor and weapons suitable for fantasy rolplaying. That would be things such as swords, axes, chain mail and so on. Probably need to be painted art since I doubt there is that much real although I once got some hints of some real sword page.

I basically just need it to have to show for my friends when we play pen&paper RPG, makes it a bit more fun to have a picture or something showing how it looks.

One idea is to extract the models out of WoW or other games, but I feel that is a bit more work.

So anyone got ANY ideas?
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Hi,

I'd suggest this page. Unfortunately it's German, but the pictures are awesome. Navigate with the frame on the left side.

Otherwise, I'd say you consult google on 'medieval weapons' or a similar term.

Greetings, Fragbait

Jarulf,Apr 25 2006, 02:40 PM Wrote:I am looking for some site or place with pictures of armor and weapons suitable for fantasy rolplaying. That would be things such as swords, axes, chain mail and so on. Probably need to be painted art since I doubt there is that much real although I once got some hints of some real sword page.

I basically just need it to have to show for my friends when we play pen&paper RPG, makes it a bit more fun to have a picture or something showing how it looks.

One idea is to extract the models out of WoW or other games, but I feel that is a bit more work.

So anyone got ANY ideas?
[right][snapback]108155[/snapback][/right]
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
You can try the websites of actual arms manufacturers. Albion Swords, and Arms & Armor are sites off the top of my head. Both sites feature both weapons and armor pieces (with pictures), just look around at the categories offered.

Also, take a look at the galleries and articles featured at MyArmoury.com for ideas.

Cutlers like Christian Fletcher and John Ludemo's OdinBlades are loads of fun, too.

Don't look at me with that wary, askance expression. I'm not a crazy man. But my internet handle does happen to be that of a semi-legendary king reknowned for the sword he wore.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.

I can't believe I'm the one asking this, but someone has to. For comedy's sake, you understand.

*Deep breath*

So, you like swords?
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
:unsure: I only have two.

Well, when it comes to manias, I have a particular fondness for Zippo lighters.

I don't even smoke. I just like fire.
Political Correctness is the idea that you can foster tolerance in a diverse world through the intolerance of anything that strays from a clinical standard.
Try a Google image search for "medieval weapons" and "medieval armor". You'll get more pics and links than you'll know what to do with. You can also try searching for specific items such as "medieval helms", "medieval swords", or "medieval shields".

Good luck!

-G.
Even the mountains
Last not forever:
Someday they, too, shall
Crumble to dust.
D&D Miniatures Gallery

or

Wikipedia - list of medieval weapons and armor
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

There's also this place which I browse through on occasion. Has some pretty interesting swords listed, even a replica of Sephiroth's Masamune.
Alea Jacta Est - Caesar
Guild Wars account: Lurker Wyrm
Don't get the wrong impression, that of the Highlander-quoting taser target you'll hear about in the news. It isn't about bravado or lust for destructive power. More modern weapons far outstrip a sword's capacity to invoke such things.

Swords are archaic. They're out-of-place in a niche that no one commonly deigns to visit. That's the lure. I've consulted and consorted with a number of fellow sword enthusiasts, and the common strain among those I choose to associate with can be best described as— quixotic.

"...An elegant weapon, for a more civilized time..." Obiwan Kenobi in an allegory to the sword. I have nothing to say about the "civilized" times, but no doubt it is an elegant weapon. There's grace and a demand for skill associated with it, which takes it beyond the common.
Hi, Jarulf,

Jarulf,Apr 25 2006, 01:40 PM Wrote:I am looking for some site or place with pictures of armor and weapons suitable for fantasy rolplaying. That would be things such as swords, axes, chain mail and so on. Probably need to be painted art since I doubt there is that much real although I once got some hints of some real sword page.

So anyone got ANY ideas?
[right][snapback]108155[/snapback][/right]

Gee, am I the only one to remember that Claudio is into this stuff too, and has some sections on ancient arms & armor on his site:

http://www.claudiospage.com/

I don't know for sure if his photos & drawings are quite what you are looking for, but it might be worth checking them out. I didn't see a source listed - he might have taken some of them himself, not sure.

Haven't heard anything about your employment for a long time, but if you are at or near a large university, their library may well have some books about these subjects. In the past, I've come across such books at the Michigan State U. library while looking for stuff related to lapidary/metalsmithing. I was interested enough to check out a couple & read them - was impressed that the computer game Darklands (around 1994) had been fairly historically-accurate in regards to arms & armor.

The Society for Creative Anachronism might also have or lead to some information as well:

http://www.sca.org/

such as:

http://www.sca.org/goodbye.cgi?url=http://...com/index1.html

which I found on their site after a very brief search - there may be other relevant links there as well.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Dako-ta

"I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves."

-- Anna Quindlen

NiteFox,Apr 25 2006, 10:18 PM Wrote:...
So, you like swords?
[right][snapback]108192[/snapback][/right]

No, not really, but I like playing RPG, and mostly as GM. What I want is nice pictures to use with my players so that they get better visualisation. It is not just swords byt any type of weapon or armor and it doesn't really have to be realistic or real. That is one problem with sites of "real" weapons and armor, thay aren't that såectacular as some drawn ones are. Sure, pictures or weapons (or models in games like WoW) might be completely useless and impossible if they actually existed, but just as they work in a computer game, they work in a P&P RPG :)

Thanks for everyone for all the links and information. Will check it out.
There are three types of people in the world. Those who can count and those who can't.
Hm.

Maybe this is a help: weapons pic.
This is a rather big picture with many a weapon and some shields. You could just print it as a whole and then cut out the items.

Greetings, Fragbait

Jarulf,Apr 27 2006, 11:17 AM Wrote:No, not really, but I like playing RPG, and mostly as GM. What I want is nice pictures to use with my players so that they get better visualisation. It is not just swords byt any type of weapon or armor and it doesn't really have to be realistic or real. That is one problem with sites of "real" weapons and armor, thay aren't that såectacular as some drawn ones are. Sure, pictures or weapons (or models in games like WoW) might be completely useless and impossible if they actually existed, but just as they work in a computer game, they work in a P&P RPG :)
Thanks for everyone for all the links and information. Will check it out.
[right][snapback]108353[/snapback][/right]
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
Jarulf,Apr 27 2006, 02:17 AM Wrote:... That is one problem with sites of "real" weapons and armor, thay aren't that såectacular as some drawn ones are. ...
Check out the OdinBlades collection in the link I provided above. That would be your best bet for 'real' swords of a fantasy design.
if your P&P group is ever in the general vicinity of Graz, Austria, be sure to visit the Zeughaus ("the armory"). It's the largest collection of medieval gear there is :).

Well, this might actually be something for RH moreso than for you...

Anyway, if you like medieval, pay a visit to my hometown!

take care
Nuurabsaal/Tarabulus
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
If "medieval" doesn't get you anything, try the alternate spelling "mediaeval". :)
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
[wcip]Angel,Apr 27 2006, Wrote:"mediaeval". :)
[right][snapback]108389[/snapback][/right]

hmm, we could also try "medievul" or even "mediaebil"

:D

take care
Nuurabsaal/Tarabulus
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
I suppose you spell "encyclopaedia" without the <a> as well..? <_< Bloody ya.. ehh Austrians! :whistling:

:lol:
Ask me about Norwegian humour Smile
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTs9SE2sDTw
Rhydderch Hael,Apr 26 2006, 08:08 AM Wrote:Don't get the wrong impression, that of the Highlander-quoting taser target you'll hear about in the news.
[right][snapback]108237[/snapback][/right]
Then again, one day we shall meet and feel the quickening. There can be only one Rhydderch!

:D
”There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." - Hamlet (1.5.167-8), Hamlet to Horatio.

[Image: yVR5oE.png][Image: VKQ0KLG.png]

Hi, Jarulf,

Jarulf,Apr 27 2006, 10:17 AM Wrote:any type of weapon or armor and it doesn't really have to be realistic or real. That is one problem with sites of "real" weapons and armor, thay aren't that såectacular as some drawn ones are.

In that case, for weapons, search on 'fantasy knives,' 'art knives,' 'fantasy swords,' etc.

There is a whole sub-genre of the knife world (both custom knife makers and mass-market manufacturers) that creates knives & swords that would be largely impractical in the real world, but look impressive. Some of these knives & swords have shown up in movies.

Here's a few links I quickly found:

"fantasy knives" -

http://www.mwart.com/xq/ASP.store/cat.88/s...CFQRnOAodO2msYw

http://www.thewebcollection.com/fantasy-knives.html

http://www.knifecenter.com/knifecenter/f...index.html

"art knives" -

http://www.artknives.com/

http://www.darrelralph.com/1mainframe.htm?...t_main.htm~main

http://www.vanbarnett.com/knifeidx.asp

http://www.kaincustomknives.com/

Some of the photos are washed out, too small, etc., but you should be able to find some that will wow your playing group.

Regards,

Dako-ta