What mods do I need?
I've been away from the game for a while.

I'm currently installing WoW right now. YAY!

I'm wondering what UI mods everybody is using these days?

Is there a website that lists them and their uses that I could be directed to?

Thanks!
Yay! So exciting.... except I'm imagining the patch process is going to take forever

Smithy
You don't need mods, blah blah blah...

OK, here are some mods that I've found useful:
  • CTRaidAssist<>
  • Gatherer (shows you where you've picked or mined stuff)<>
  • DamageMeter<>
  • Decursive (I'll be happy when it's banned or disabled in some way, but I gotta keep up with the Joneses in PvP, and when Blizzard stops making encounters based around it, I'll happily give it up)<>
    [st]I usually download my mods from Curse-Gaming.
Heh, of course I do. :)

I was referring to the basic UI mods. I can't remember which one I used to use (ehh that sounds horrible) cause it's been so long.

And my brain is failing....

Smithy
While I have heard that it doesn't work for a minority of players and Blizzard is supposed to be fixing their zone loading in 1.11, Catalyst comes as close to a must have as any mod I have seen yet. It worked miracles for me.
Lochnar[ITB]
Freshman Diablo

[Image: jsoho8.png][Image: 10gmtrs.png]

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"You don't know how strong you can be until strong is the only option."
"Think deeply, speak gently, love much, laugh loudly, give freely, be kind."
"Talk, Laugh, Love."
LochnarITB,Apr 27 2006, 01:28 AM Wrote:It worked miracles for me.
[right][snapback]108302[/snapback][/right]

QFT

where I used to have 90 seconds or more of loading screens, I now have maximum of 15 seconds and usually below 10 seconds. It delivers

take care
Nuurabsaal/Tarabulus
"I'm a cynical optimistic realist. I have hopes. I suspect they are all in vain. I find a lot of humor in that." -Pete

I'll remember you.
I don't have SpellAlert installed, but I'm told I'm a noob for not having it, especially for PvP. Also, a lot of people like to use EnemyCastBar. I try to use as few mods as possible, because my computer is really old, but I'll probably download SpellAlert anyway.
I'm kind of a mod freak, but these are some of the ones that make the biggest differences to me:

SpellAlert
Scrolling Combat Text
<pick one of the zone loading speed mods like Catalyst>
Gatherer
TipBuddy
CCWatch (get the one that's still being maintained)
Atlas

If you're looking for a big "collection" of mods that come together, I recommend CTMod for a good basic stable set of improvements.
I don't use a lot of mods.

- CTMod (well parts of it)
- CTRaidAssist
- Gatherer
- SCT
- Wardrobe (gear switcher, my capped toons are a paladin, druid, warrior, and hunter, the hunter is the only with just a couple of gear sets, the druid and warrior have around 15 each for various fights in MC, BWL, farming, PvP, etc, etc)
- Itemsync (replaced lootlink with it)
- Theorycraft (just got this one, gives you more info on tooltips about spells)
- TitanPanel (much of it disabled/not installed)
- Recap

There are a few raid only things or just for one character thing but that is pretty much it and again I take out a lot from each. In some cases I've looked at just replacing the functions I want with stand alones but the updates can be slower than sticking with some of the major ones.
---
It's all just zeroes and ones and duct tape in the end.
I guess I use quite a few mods, but here are the ones that haven't been mentioned:

Universal Stun and Debuff Helper - shows the duration remaining on your stuns and debuffs as a bar.
ItemRack - A lot like wardrobe, but has a nifty little item/trinket menu that I use a lot.
Satrina Buff Frame - A really good mod for configuring your buff/debuff frames. Simple but powerful.
Satrina Cast progress - Another good, simple but powerful mod for configuring your casting bar.
Satrina Status Windows - Kind of like titan, but you can break the bars up, configure them more, and drag them to wherever you want!
UberQuest - Great quest log mod.

For the general stuff like organising my bars, making the unit frames look nice and moving things around I use: Discord Action Bars, Nerfed Beta Unitframes and Discord Frame Modifier.

PS. TipBuddy is pure gold for tanking. :)
I hate flags

"Then Honor System came out and I had b*$@& tattoo'd on my forehead and a "kick me" sign taped to my back." - Tiku

Stormscale: Treglies, UD Mage; Treggles, 49 Orc Shaman; Tregor, semi-un-retired Druid.

Terenas (all retired): 60 Druid; 60 Shaman. (Not very creative with my character selection, am I?!Wink
Grab Bookworm and download some books from Gutenberg Project. It'll serve you well.
You should really try to minimize the amount of addons due to performonce and compatibility issues (especially when patch day comes about :P ).

There are some Addons though that are imho too good to pass:

CT Raid Assist -> the only really "must" have addon, if you ever want to participate in raiding.

Decursive -> makes decursing easier but also more boring (Be decursive priest on chrom in BWL. Get one of these mechanical "dip birds" Homer Simpson used on the nuclear plant operating console, then go making dinner or whatever. Be back for loots though :whistling: )

Scrolling Combat Text -> simply too cool to miss.

EnemyCastBar -> extremly useful in PvP

StunWatch -> if you are a rogue

Atlas -> because getting lost in Instances is always somewhat embarrassing :blush:

Cooldown Count -> knowing when exactly a cooldown will be ready again can save lifes.

CT Unit Frames and CT Partybuffs -> useful aditional information and I don't like the Nurfed style.

CT Mail Mod -> simplifies the chore of mailing multiple stacks of stuff to your mules

Auctioneer -> for your AH agent/mule.

Damage Meter -> If you are DPS. Measures your e-peen.

nmtysFixLoadingTimes: -> speeds up zoning, much like catalyst.

Chatlink -> allows Itemlinks in user created channels, as well as in [2. Trade]
Melisandre: http://ctprofiles.net/371601

I'm not an addict ... maybe that's a lie.
Being a coder at heart, I have a rather large plethora of addons (counting 87 right now). A lot of them are single-function little things, such as providing a keybinding to rotate between name display method above player heads, hiding helmet/cape, or chat time stamps, etc., so none of them I would consider 'needed'.

CT_RaidAssist is about the only must-have for me. While the blizzard-provided raid display will sort of do the job, its presentation is not quite as clean (or configurable) as CTRA.

Wardrobe (or some other equivalent equipment swapping mod; ItemRack is one other name I've heard) is something I would really miss. Being a druid has led to my carrying around of multiple sets of armour, and being able to define multiple armour sets (eg. healing set, maximum melee damage set, etc.) so you can change between them in one click is very useful.

ImprovedErrorFrame is something I find really handy (especially since I do a fair bit of addon coding/scripting). It takes over the big popup error box that you get whenever you run into an addon/macro error, and saves the error messages into a scrollable list that you can review at your convenience. Really nice for when you have a UI error pop up at the most inconvenient time, say in the middle of a battle.

Some handy, but I would not call must-have addons:

AssistHelper adds 2 keybindings. One to set a player as the one to assist, and one to do /assist <whoever you picked>. Saves from having to edit macros every time the MA changes, or eating up valuable macro slots for the 2 (very small albeit) ones you'd have to put in there to duplicate this functionality.

FastCast helps deal with latency issues with when the client lets you cast a spell after your previous spell has finished casting. Somewhat techincal how it does it, but basically... regularly, the client waits for the okay from the server that the spell has gone through it lets you cast the next one... which can generate a significant delay (and this time adds up over the course of a long fight) if your ping time is high. What FastCast does is if the casting of a spell is close enough to the end that the server will accept it and all we're waiting for is server-side confirmation that we can cast a next spell, it triggers SpellStopCasting() when you try to cast your next spell so the client thinks 'oh we cancelled our spell cast, don't have to wait for the server answer', so you can cast your next spell without having to wait for the server to say okay. Sometimes it misjudges and your next spell will still not be ready to cast yet, but the majority of the time it works quite well. It can make a large difference when you really need to get that next heal off ASAP after you finish casting your current one. For players with low latencies (ie. in the 100ms range), this addon will probably not make much of a difference. Where it really shines is if you tend to run in the 500ms+ range.

DruidBar is a druid-specific addon, which estimates your mana while you are shapeshifted, so you have some idea of how much you'd have when you shift back out into caster form.
Onyxia:
Kichebo - 85 NE Druid

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.