Return To Normalcy
Beauty Pageant Take Two
When I read a story this morning that Miss Iraq had stepped down, thanks to some death threats, my brain cycled in three different directions. (Yes, I got vertigo and nearly threw up.)

1. Some folks want to return to normal, and are bravely marching on in the face of uncertain security, and the known objection to their annual homage to beauty. Iraq has not sent a contestant to the Miss Universe pageant since 1972. I note from the photo that her hair appears blonde, and that she is an Armenian Iraqi. A Christian. Score one for an oppressed Iraqi minority, if they can avoid the car bombs. :whistling:

2. The more strident feminists in the US may be taking notes from Shi'ite concepts in how to defuse the popoularity of the Miss America pagent. I doubt, however, that they'll co-opt the theme of "the beauty pageant is a Zionist creation." :wacko:

3. In the war of symbols, the return of the Miss Iraq beauty pagent, even in its covert form, strikes yet another blow FOR the folks who assert that "Western habits and behavior" are corrupting, and not suitable for good Arabs/Muslims/what have you in the New Iraq.

The wrinkled brows of the more old school Muslims can be imagined:
*old Arab man's voice*
"Let me get this straight. You want democracy, OK. It is messy, but maybe it can work, insha Allah. You want no more Saddam, OK. He was a pretty mean guy. We may have some better leaders. Now, you let foreign interference in Iraq (even if it did some good?) lead to presenting Iraqi women as sexual objects on an international stage? OK, we hear you: at least you are spitting in our faces openly. Is your life insurance paid up?" :shuriken:

Occhi

EDIT = fixed link
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Apr 13 2006, 06:38 AM Wrote:Beauty Pageant Results From The Land of Two Rivers
[right][snapback]107045[/snapback][/right]

"You’ve requested an abcnews.com page that does not exist."
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
jahcs,Apr 13 2006, 09:58 AM Wrote:"You’ve requested an abcnews.com page that does not exist."
[right][snapback]107058[/snapback][/right]
Will try to fix the link.

Thanks.

Occhi

EDIT = Link fixed
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete