Monitor? Mouse?
Touch table.

Need.
"AND THEN THE PALADIN TOOK MY EYES!"
Forever oppressed by the GOLs.
Grom Hellscream: [Orcish] kek
Rinnhart,Apr 5 2006, 08:25 PM Wrote:Touch table.

Need.
[right][snapback]106318[/snapback][/right]
Nice, but it seems to have response lag issues to me (unless of course that was down to the video recording).

Expect to still get pwned by Koreans with 1,337 APM ratings.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Response time currently looks slow to me, but its something straight ouf of science fiction star trek, earth final conflict or any other 'holographic' interface.

Like comparing with the mouse to the keyboard, the keyboard's always going to be directly faster, but like the mouse, this has possibilities to do more complex and dynamic commands.

I so want.
Rinnhart,Apr 5 2006, 04:25 PM Wrote:Touch table.

Need.

Definitely interesting, but largely unnecessary for the genre of games I typically play; I'll stick to the tried-and-true keyboard and mouse :)
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Artega,Apr 6 2006, 06:58 PM Wrote:Definitely interesting, but largely unnecessary for the genre of games I typically play; I'll stick to the tried-and-true keyboard and mouse :)
[right][snapback]106450[/snapback][/right]

But just think, Oblivion projected onto a wall, and you're doing your own swinging, block and parries. Let alone spellcasts. Ok, that is a stretch right now, but eventually... eventually...
Drasca,Apr 6 2006, 08:18 PM Wrote:But just think, Oblivion projected onto a wall, and you're doing your own swinging, block and parries. Let alone spellcasts. Ok, that is a stretch right now, but eventually... eventually...
[right][snapback]106452[/snapback][/right]

...eventually, this christmas when the nintendo revolution comes out.
Drasca,Apr 6 2006, 09:18 PM Wrote:But just think, Oblivion projected onto a wall, and you're doing your own swinging, block and parries. Let alone spellcasts. Ok, that is a stretch right now, but eventually... eventually...
[right][snapback]106452[/snapback][/right]

Until I can actually feel the heft and recoil of the Berelli M3 Super that's pumping shell after shell into those do-gooder Counter-Terrorist bastards, I'm gonna stick with my keyboard and mouse :P
ArrayPaladins were not meant to sit in the back of the raid staring at health bars all day, spamming heals and listening to eight different classes whine about buffs.[/quote]
The original Heavy Metal Cow™. USDA inspected, FDA approved.
Rinnhart,Apr 5 2006, 03:25 PM Wrote:Touch table.

Need.

Thanks for the link Rinnhart. It will be interesting to see where this technology goes.

On a slight tangent, its good to see Cambridge MA on the map for something tech related. Granted, we do have MIT on that side of the river, but it's always good to see your local city being a competitor in some tech sector.

Cheers,

Munk
Munkay,Apr 6 2006, 06:14 PM Wrote:Thanks for the link Rinnhart.  It will be interesting to see where this technology goes.

On a slight tangent, its good to see Cambridge MA on the map for something tech related.  Granted, we do have MIT on that side of the river, but it's always good to see your local city being a competitor in some tech sector.

Cheers,

Munk
[right][snapback]106459[/snapback][/right]

MIT's overrated. I'm still waiting for the robots they promised a decade ago and now I find out they've been off playing poker the whole time.
Rinnhart,Apr 7 2006, 12:12 AM Wrote:MIT's overrated. I'm still waiting for the robots they promised a decade ago and now I find out they've been off playing poker the whole time.
[right][snapback]106467[/snapback][/right]

Well I can vouch for one thing about MIT students: They live up to their nerdy image. I was lucky enough when I was younger to go to a MIT frat party. Its the only time I can ever recall drinking of a keg while hearing multi-var. Calculus discussed.

I apologize for the slick thread jack.

We can all go back to pining for a table. Where's DeeBye's Freebies when you need it most? ;)

Cheers,

Munk
Somewhat disapointing. Other than the simple voice recognition, bilateral control and the fact that he's using war3 as a demo, that touch table is no different from touch-screen tech from 10 years ago.
Great truths are worth repeating:

"It is better to live in the corner of a roof
Than in a house shared with a contentious woman." -Proverbs 21:9

"It is better to live in the corner of a roof
Than in a house shared with a contentious woman." -Proverbs 25:24
I would never use one, as it's too slow for my tastes.

The voice recognition is kind of nice, though I'm sure they didn't show it when it says in your ear "please say again..." For example, I've got a bluetooth earpiece for my phone right now. It's really handy in that I can hit the single multipurpose button on the side, say "Call ______" and it will reply with "Did you say 'call _____'?" to which I say "Yes."

However, the convenience is only because I'm driving at that point and don't want to have to look down at my phone or take my hands off the wheel or gearshift. When I really get down to it, it'd be a hell of a lot faster to just punch in the number and hit Send.

In a game, there is no such convenience for me, as I never look at the keyboard or mouse as I play, nor are my hands occupied elsewhere. The touch table and microphone setup would actually slow me down. In WC3 I would quickly hit A (for attack) and then click where I wanted that unit/group to attack. With the voice recognition I'd need to take the time to ensure it understands I'm saying "Group 1... attack... here...."

No thanks.

Now, when the day comes that I can put on a lightweight helmet and just stare at the screen while I move the mouse and hit whichever keys I wish using only my mind, sign me up.
See you in Town,
-Z
While everyone would like to play Warcraft on a screen that big or try out voice recognition with video games, I was not very impressed by that demo. All they had was a touch pad tied into the mouse input and a few basic voice commands tied into keyboard inputs.

For example, it looked like they had "attack" tied into the "A" key, "build" tied into "B," "farm" tied into "F," etc. All the unit labeling and control is built into Warcraft 3, they just added some voice commands. Really it looked like they were using War3's nice interface to make it look like they had accomplished more than they had.

Sure the touch interface was well done, but I don't see any advantage over a mouse for an RTS game. The special selection technique demonstrated is also built into War3 and is very easy to use with a mouse, IMHO.

Where touch interfaces shine is where the environment or workspace is not keyboard/mouse-friendly, and where you need a simple system that's easy to use (like the self-checkout lanes popping up in grocery stores). Gamers and techies need more buttons, not less. I still miss my Top Gun joystick with 50 different triggers and doodads!
Killjoys.
Hi,

Xanthix,Apr 10 2006, 07:02 AM Wrote:Where touch interfaces shine is where the environment or workspace is not keyboard/mouse-friendly, and where you need a simple system that's easy to use (like the self-checkout lanes popping up in grocery stores). Gamers and techies need more buttons, not less. I still miss my Top Gun joystick with 50 different triggers and doodads!
[right][snapback]106700[/snapback][/right]
And I still have (and lovingly maintain), my Thrust Master HOTAS and rudder pedals. All upgraded with the latest chip set, years after TM went under :)

The one place that that touch pad would shine is as a replacement for the board in a lot of board games. One of the rail games? Let it do the counting of rail you can place, let it keep track of the money you have, and all the other boring details. War games? You could bring back Wooden Ships & Iron Men and actually play a scenario in under ten hours if you didn't have to fill out all those forms. And range calculations without counting hexes -- heaven. Even for something simple like Carcasone or Puerto Rico, it could give you standings without having to spend minutes looking through what your opponents have, and it would make the game final totals a snap.

As a replacement for the mouse and keyboard, it is a step down. But as a replacement for a chunk of cardboard, It has the potential to be something I've talked about and wanted for about 30 years.

--Pete

How big was the aquarium in Noah's ark?

Pete,Apr 10 2006, 05:16 PM Wrote:Hi,
And I still have (and lovingly maintain), my Thrust Master HOTAS and rudder pedals.  All upgraded with the latest chip set, years after TM went under :)

The one place that that touch pad would shine is as a replacement for the board in a lot of board games.  One of the rail games?  Let it do the counting of rail you can place, let it keep track of the money you have, and all the other boring details.  War games?  You could bring back Wooden Ships & Iron Men and actually play a scenario in under ten hours if you didn't have to fill out all those forms.  And range calculations without counting hexes -- heaven.  Even for something simple like Carcasone or Puerto Rico, it could give you standings without having to spend minutes looking through what your opponents have, and it would make the game final totals a snap.

As a replacement for the mouse and keyboard, it is a step down.  But as a replacement for a chunk of cardboard, It has the potential to be something I've talked about and wanted for about 30 years.

--Pete
[right][snapback]106754[/snapback][/right]
AH Waterloo, picking up all those stacks to do soak offs.

One of the more balanced games I have ever played, going on about 35 years.

Touch screen: speed that process up!

Oh, and a gratuitous "Vive le Emperor!"
Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Am I the only one that sees the options for Pen and Paper RPG's with this? *drools*
http://ctprofiles.net/24532 <-- Bhak lvl 60 Priest
Yurup,Apr 12 2006, 06:59 AM Wrote:Am I the only one that sees the options for Pen and Paper RPG's with this? *drools*
[right][snapback]106919[/snapback][/right]

No. However, you ARE the only one that has publicly drooled about it, so I guess that counts for something.