Quickie Question
Ok. I need some advice. My prom is coming up soon, and I was wondering if it would be better to buy my date a bouquet of flowers, or a lei + those flower bracelets. I was thinking lei + bracelet because it'd be easier to carry (that is, not at all). Any thoughts?

By the way, does everyone call it a "lei?" Does everyone know what a lei IS? Or does it have another name? Just in case, a lei would be a strand of flowers or other object, strung together in a loop, and placed over someone's head, like the loop part of a noose.

Just in case you can't visualize what I'm sayin, here's ya goes.Click.
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. At least you'll be a mile away from them and you'll have their shoes." ~?

Stonemaul - Sneakybast, 51 Rogue
Terenas - Sneaksmccoy, 1 Rogue

Sword of Omens, give me sight beyond sight!
Hi Premezilla

Now that you have me understanding what you mean by a lei, I now need more information.

Here, a prom is a very formal event, socially. And it has a fairly rigid dress code. The young men wear a tuxedo, if they can, and if not, the nicest suit they have. The girls wear very formal dresses, usually floor length, although that may vary.

If that is the case where you are, then the kind of flowers you choose are important to your date. The need to complement her outfit (dress/shoes/jewelry) is important. She will not thank you if you choose something that does not do this.

So, my advice is to ask her which will work best for her, and what kinds and colours of flower would work. She might want a bouquet, that she can be seen arriving with, and then can set down for dancing. She might want only the wrist band, as the lei might not show off the dress to best effect. You cannot tell until you ask.

If I have misjudged entirely what a prom means to you, please give more details. :)
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

Premezilla,Apr 3 2006, 02:30 AM Wrote:Ok. I need some advice. My prom is coming up soon, and I was wondering if it would be better to buy my date a bouquet of flowers, or a lei + those flower bracelets.  I was thinking lei + bracelet because it'd be easier to carry (that is, not at all). Any thoughts?

By the way, does everyone call it a "lei?" Does everyone know what a lei IS? Or does it have another name? Just in case, a lei would be a strand of flowers or other object, strung together in a loop, and placed over someone's head, like the loop part of a noose.

Just in case you can't visualize what I'm sayin,  here's ya goes.Click.
[right][snapback]106081[/snapback][/right]
Ever hear of a corsage? That is what I got for my date for the senior prom. I hadn't heard that such fell out of fashion.

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
Occhidiangela,Apr 3 2006, 01:06 PM Wrote:Ever hear of a corsage?  That is what I got for my date for the senior prom.  I hadn't heard that such fell out of fashion.
[right][snapback]106086[/snapback][/right]
Y'know, despite being a Brit where "prom" means something totally different*, I couldn't help but think of a corsage.

The Simpsons have a lot to answer for.

* Prom in my school = Basically a massive drinking competition where the usual winners were, naturally, the teachers.
When in mortal danger,
When beset by doubt,
Run in little circles,
Wave your arms and shout.

BattleTag: Schrau#2386
Occhidiangela,Apr 3 2006, 08:06 AM Wrote:Ever hear of a corsage?  That is what I got for my date for the senior prom.  I hadn't heard that such fell out of fashion.

Occhi
[right][snapback]106086[/snapback][/right]

Ever hear of strapless dresses? :P Corsages don't work well on them. :o

That was why I counseled Premezilla to ask his date for her preferences.
And you may call it righteousness
When civility survives,
But I've had dinner with the Devil and
I know nice from right.

From Dinner with the Devil, by Big Rude Jake

ShadowHM,Apr 3 2006, 07:56 AM Wrote:Ever hear of strapless dresses?   :P   Corsages don't work well on them.   :o

[right][snapback]106091[/snapback][/right]
Well there ya go, my fashion impairedness is reconfirmed. You and my daughter could get a joint cackle out of this exchange. :unsure:

While I am not a big fan of strapless dresses, each lady/dress combination works in its own magical way . . . or it doesn't. (Have seen some "doesn't" in my day.)

Occhi
Cry 'Havoc' and let slip the Men 'O War!
In War, the outcome is never final. --Carl von Clausewitz--
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
John 11:35 - consider why.
In Memory of Pete
ShadowHM,Apr 3 2006, 01:56 PM Wrote:Ever hear of strapless dresses?  :P  Corsages don't work well on them.  :o

[right][snapback]106091[/snapback][/right]

Perhaps go with a wrist corsage. Just make sure you get the correct color flowers :)
naverone,Apr 3 2006, 10:09 AM Wrote:Perhaps go with a wrist corsage. Just make sure you get the correct color flowers  :)
[right][snapback]106111[/snapback][/right]

Yup, there's always a workaround. B)
The Bill of No Rights
The United States has become a place where entertainers and professional athletes are mistaken for people of importance. Robert A. Heinlein
Just to clarify

The prom is a formal event. Dress code is a tuxedo/vest ensemble (or other suit combo, but honestly, what looks snazzier than a tux?) for the guys, and a gown or other appropriate long dress for the ladies.

By the way, by corsage, do you mean the thing that looks like a corset? Or the little flower thing? Because the corset thingy might test the limits of the dress code :)
"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. At least you'll be a mile away from them and you'll have their shoes." ~?

Stonemaul - Sneakybast, 51 Rogue
Terenas - Sneaksmccoy, 1 Rogue

Sword of Omens, give me sight beyond sight!
Premezilla,Apr 4 2006, 01:04 AM Wrote:Just to clarify

The prom is a formal event. Dress code is a tuxedo/vest ensemble (or other suit combo, but honestly, what looks snazzier than a tux?) for the guys, and a gown or other appropriate long dress for the ladies.

By the way, by corsage, do you mean the thing that looks like a corset? Or the little flower thing? Because the corset thingy might test the limits of the dress code  :)
[right][snapback]106159[/snapback][/right]
A corsage is a small flower arrangement that is pinned to the dress, usually on the upper left. The "flower bracelet" you mention in your original post is usually called a wrist corsage. As posted above, they are popular because they don't have to be pinned to the dress, which doesn't work with every style. They also avoid the awkwardness of trying to pin something to your date without ruining her expensive dress or sticking her with the pin, usually while her parents are trying to take pictures of the entire thing. I wouldn't normally think of a lei for a prom, unless you're somewhere tropical where they have special significance, but maybe I'm out of touch. If you don't know what colour you need, white roses go with practically anything. A good florist should be able to help you to make a decision what to get, if you can tell them the dress colour. And make sure to order in advance - you won't be able to just pick up a corsage on the day of the prom.

I agree that talking to your date about it is a good idea... you can also tell her what colour you'd like your boutonniere to be. :)