Several Questions - hireling damage, death
Hi everybody,

Since I recently got sucked back in by DII, and a friend of mine wants to play next week, a few questions have occured to me, that mainly evolve around my lvl 90 'uber-' paladin, but not exclusively.
I figured you would know.

So here we go:

-1- how and when is the rounding done in the damage formulas for hirelings listed at the arreat summit?

-2- how is a paladin aura figured in? It seems that the party bonus is halved again, how is this bonus then rounded?

-3- are these formulas accurate (Because I do get slightly different results when applying these formulas than the real values)?

-4- the death explosion of undead stygian dolls, is it physical / partly physical? I know that this damage is based on the number of players.

-5- the death explosion of fire enchanted bosses, is it partly physical? I know that the damage depends on the monster hp.

-6- the 'blood star' of the coursing witches in act 5, is it physical / partly physical? Does it stun?

-7- if none of the above is physical or partly physical, does 'amplify damage' really only increase physical damage by 100%, or maybe magic damage, too?

-8- the keys of terror, of ... and of ..., why are they dropped in singleplayer?

-9- leeching as well as chill times are 1/4th in hell, right? Difficulty has however no influence one poison time or open wounds effectiveness, right?

-10- is leech disabled as soon as there is physical resistance or is the resistance just so high sometimes (80% for stoneskin) that I don't notice leech anymore?

-11- what's the maximum of multishot shots that are fired by bosses? AS only says "2 or more missiles of the same type are shot.".

-12- as a rule of thumb can be said: I can't leech from skeleton-like monsters, but from other undead monsters, I can leech. So why can't I leech from gloams? (Rethorical question. Not only do gloams a ton of damage, but they can't be leeched of, are double immune, and leech mana. Grmpf.)

-13- how does lightning damage work - like in DI, so that you only receive full damage when you are crossed by the whole lightning beginning to end?

-14- how much damage does a gloam lightning in hell approximately? (My guess is about 220-280)

That would be it for now. Notice that the number of questions was already halved thanks to the AS, yet it is not correct at all times.

I'm looking forward to your replies.

Greetings, Fragbait
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.
Heiho,

maybe tommi's site
http://users.tkk.fi/~tgustafs/damagereduction.html
will clarify some things

only aura I'm aware of which has a party penalty is Fanaticism. Still would apply as offweapon ED, like your own aurae (if any), modification via stat points and ED outside your actual weapon

AFAIK it's _only_ physical. The damage scales no longer with ppl since 1.10 release.

tricky one. It's partly physical, partly fire, that is the most common and undisputed

bloodstar is at least partly magic damage, I don't know if other damage is included

AD only lowers physical rsistance for sure

because.
not because of anything, just because. Blizz people may have forgotten to remove the lines in config data.

leech is halfed in NM and 1/3 in Hell. AI bending effects and chillings durations are halfed in NM resp quartered in Hell.

You'll always notice even tiny fractions of leech with the red/blue swirlie animations over your head. Leech is subject to your physical damage actually dealt out, so it doesn't come in against PIs. NOte that Stone Skin increases enemy boss' defense, so you may indeed miss such one more often like you are used with other monsters.

Since 1.10 every monster has a 'leech drain' figure, which is best translated as 'leech resistance'. This is individually set per monster per difficulty and sums up with the other penalties to leech.

I don't think so. Not sure if I understand what you mean, though.

not so bad guessed, IIRC 300-400 is it about. Sadly their mana damage figure is accidentially added to their base lightning damage figure in later difficulties far often. Mind the Tainted/Afflicted ones, they've got the same feature.
so long ...
librarian

Check out some peanuts or the
Diablo II FAQtoids
current status: re-thinking about HoB
Mostly just addendums to what Librarian said...

2. I believe the Fana penalty is correctly listed on the skill description.

5. 50/50 fire/physical I think. Doesn't scale up.

6. It's mostly or entirely physical. http://www.theamazonbasin.com/d2/forums/in...&hl=blood++star

9. There are poison length reduction time penalties on players, not monsters. I don't recall the exact numbers, but they're additive with item PLR.

12. What Librarian said already on drain and phys res. My amusing-more-than-useful general rule without looking things up is "Boney undead = no leech. Squishy undead = plenty of leech. Spooky undead = little leech." Lots of exceptions though, like OK and Gloam types.

13. No. There is a missile at the head of the graphic. If it intersects the target, damage is rolled.
Heiho,

though it has 'mag' listed in missiles.txt (succubusbolt is the name here).
Physical has no separate entry there (everything known as physical is not marked as physical, but everything with other damage assigned has other damage listed), so it's fine by me to say it has physical components.

<edit>
I've reread the AB thread. Messy. A highlevel Valk will almost instantly go poof under siege with bloodstar thingies. Shouldn't happen when they only deal physdam. Same goes for Decoy.
Maybe there is some similar thing happening like in 1.09 with Zon's Fire Arrow.
</edit>

PLR suffers the same penalties like the elemental resistances with players and hirelings (-40% in NM, -100% in Hell).
Monsters have an entry of their own for PLR, and it's set to 0 in all difficulties (no penalty). AFAIK -enemy poison resistance lowers monster's PLR (increases duration of poison damage, that is).
so long ...
librarian

Diablo II FAQtoids
librarian,Mar 30 2006, 11:35 AM Wrote:6.
though it has 'mag' listed in missiles.txt (succubusbolt is the name here).
Physical has no separate entry there (everything known as physical is not marked as physical, but everything with other damage assigned has other damage listed), so it's fine by me to say it has physical components.

<edit>
I've reread the AB thread. Messy. A highlevel Valk will almost instantly go poof under siege with bloodstar thingies. Shouldn't happen when they only deal physdam. Same goes for Decoy.
Maybe there is some similar thing happening like in 1.09 with Zon's Fire Arrow.
</edit>
[right][snapback]105903[/snapback][/right]

What was the Fire Arrow oddity?

The folks in the thread who reported it being entirely physical are pretty reliable.
Heiho,

Fire Arrow oddity in 1.09 was that it worked almost like it works since 1.10, but nobody knew for sure how. IIRC it was about 50% conversed damage even at sLvl1, but don't quote me on that.

I know them folks by reading. It just doesn't match my experience. It's maybe a good explanation for what's happening sometimes, but not everytimes. If brian would have gone more into detail what caused his statement it'd be clearer. AFAIK he doesn't run compilers and debugger stuff like, say, Myrdinn.

Just saying it skips the succubusbolt row is fine, if noone asks further.

If it's physical, even partly, it should be blockable like Mephs Ice Balloon.
I never could block it.

So let's stay with 'it's messy' :c)
so long ...
librarian

Diablo II FAQtoids
Hi,

Thanks a lot for the info.

With -1-, i actually meant the damage that the hirelings do. My lvl 90 act 1 hireling served for testing, as I actually wanted to assemble a damage formula myself before I noticed that the AS had one up, to.

-2- the oddity is that a lvl 30 fanatism gives +271 % party damage, which would be damage*3.71, but actually my hireling only receives damage*1.86(about), which is a rounded-up value of 3.71/2 (actually 1.855). Thus my question.

-3- the AS damage formulas seem to be a bit off quite often, mostly off 1-0 (min.dam-max.dam), but after the aura factor often off by 2-1. But maybe I'm calculating wrong here.

Thanks for the clarification, also to all the others. So now I know that - yes, these blood stars are indeed a threat worth watching out for for my lvl 90 paladin. And that gloams can be a threat is general knowledge nowadays ;(

Greetings, Fragbait
Quote:You cannot pass... I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the Flame of Anor. The Dark Flame will not avail you, Flame of Udun. Go back to the shadow. You shall not pass.
- Gandalf, speaking to the Balrog

Quote:Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash! Be water, my friend...
- Bruce Lee

Quote: There's an old Internet adage which simply states that the first person to resort to personal attacks in an online argument is the loser. Don't be one.
- excerpt from the forum rules

Post content property of Fragbait (member of the lurkerlounge). Do not (hesitate to) quote without permission.